motor rebuild, much help needed...

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
Im in the middle of a motor rebuild and i am having trouble putin together the millions of puzzle peices that make up these crazy engines...any kind of information on more indepth schematics for the 7mgte than a chilton's or hayne's depicts is basically what im lookin for. I really dropped the ball on keeping everything perfectly organized and its soo hard to figure out where all parts truly belong. On top of it all, i cant find motor mounts to save my life right now, so i need some good recomendations for places to find parts...ive done my fair share of googling and cant come up witht he right stuff.....HELP

Also another thing iwas not sure of...i just bought a head offline, as well as a high pressure cometic head gasket, somy question is since the gasket is thicker than a stock head gasket is there any machining needed to be done to the just reman'ed head? any suggestions please let me know
JEFF

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
another confusing problem i might have...i bought the head off EBAY from heads international, they specified that it would be good for both turbp and NA models...Would the cams that are used in the head the turo model cams or the NA cams??? i would hope that the head i purchased has the turbo cams, but that only means that the guy who has a nonturbo car that bought the same head would actually have turbo cams in his NA car...

ANY COMMENTS?? is this something to worry about?...should i take out the cams and measure to make sure of the correct journal sizes and shapes of that of a turbo car's? wtf

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
just finishing one myself, here is the service manual.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtips.html

Also has a parts list.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII_NATO/index.html

As far as your head goes, your fine, N/A cams will work, they actually give you more top end power (i might have that backwards). There are alot of discussions on here about the N/A cams in turbo cars. bottom line they will work or someone will buy/swap with you.

mk3some said:
another confusing problem i might have...i bought the head off EBAY from heads international, they specified that it would be good for both turbp and NA models...Would the cams that are used in the head the turo model cams or the NA cams??? i would hope that the head i purchased has the turbo cams, but that only means that the guy who has a nonturbo car that bought the same head would actually have turbo cams in his NA car...

ANY COMMENTS?? is this something to worry about?...should i take out the cams and measure to make sure of the correct journal sizes and shapes of that of a turbo car's? wtf

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
much thanks for both of those sites...as for the head part of this problem: i would probably say that you would lose top end with NA cams in the turbo head...i am just not sure even which cams the rebuilding company decided to put in my head...is there anyone who knows for sure which set of cams would have come on my head..or moreso if anyone has purchased a reman head online: what did u find for cams in urs???

this forum is freekin awsome..so many people to suggest help..gotta love this shit!

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
j_magers said:
As far as your head goes, your fine, N/A cams will work, they actually give you more top end power (i might have that backwards). There are alot of discussions on here about the N/A cams in turbo cars. bottom line they will work or someone will buy/swap with you.
Will give you better low end power. :icon_razz

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
IMO if your asking questions on how to put the motor back together, you shouldn't be worrying about different cams..

best of luck

if you really wanna know, mic the lobes and verify the lift with the TSRM

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
Idealsupra said:
most other questions seemed to be answered...but if youre still looking for motor mounts.... what year is your car? 87-88 or 89+ (solid or round mounts?)
my cars an 89, round style mount solid state type with stud goin right through it...have anything available? and if not know where to find them?

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
malloynx said:
IMO if your asking questions on how to put the motor back together, you shouldn't be worrying about different cams..

best of luck

if you really wanna know, mic the lobes and verify the lift with the TSRM
i dont know why i would want to put a head on my brand new internals with the wrong cams? would u?
i am more or less wondering which cams would have come with the head that i bought since the manufacturer didn't specify

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Dont worry about the cams.
Some people believe the NA cams are an upgrade to the turbo cams.
So if you thought you had turbo cams your OK
If you actually have NA cams you might have gotten a free upgrade.

Now to the more important point that Malloy was trying to make-
concentrate on putting the motor back together correctly.

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
steve_mk3 said:
Dont worry about the cams.
Some people believe the NA cams are an upgrade to the turbo cams.
So if you thought you had turbo cams your OK
If you actually have NA cams you might have gotten a free upgrade.

Now to the more important point that Malloy was trying to make-
concentrate on putting the motor back together correctly.
thats definitely a good point, i will do my best to make sure everything is how it was...im about to install the head on the short block, i am using a cometic head gasket high pressure, any extra shaving that i need to do to the reman head that i just bought in order to have proper surface for the COMETIC to be on????

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
um, Maybe I missed some stuff but here goes.

-Did you resurface the block deck? if not, is it flat enough for a metal HG ?
-Are you useing ARP bolts/Studs?
-No you should not have to shave the head down. It should already have been done by the rebuilder.
-When the head was remanufactured wasthe surface prepaired for a metal HG?
- Did they tell you how much was machined off the head so you could get the correct thickness HG ?

Steve

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
ok...the block is decked to 0.0...the maufacturer never specified anything about the head i got...ive tried getting ahold of information on my specific head but they dont keep record of particular items and their specs...especially after they've been sold already neways...and yes i have arp studs to use. The cometic head gasket i have isn't thicker than stock i dont think but is still able to hold higher boost i was told...is that true?

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
wtf...motor mounts are impossible to find...i need them for an 89. round solid state style with a stud through both ends

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Motor Mounts
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Toyota/Supra_86-92/Toyota/Engine/Motor_Mounts

You can also probably find aftermarket solid mounts-
Or
look thru the parts for sale section, cars being parted out and such.

on the head-
If it has not been prepaired for a Metal Head gasket, it might not seal correctly. If you read the cometic web site, they require a RA of 50, the HKS and others require something like 10. RA of ten feels like a perfectly smooth finish almost like glass. The head should look almost like a mirror. The cometic is much more forgiving, but you still need a very smooth surface.

Steve