motor rebuild info...need help!

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
well i might as well start of my first thread here with a statement that im a newb and this is my first time in any kind of forums...hopefully it will turn out to be helpful and give me some new ideas i couldn't come up with...Im in the middle of a motor rebuild and i am having trouble putin together the millions of puzzle peices that make up these crazy engines...any kind of information on more indepth schematics for the 7mgte than a chilton's or hayne's depicts is basically what im lookin for. I really dropped the ball on keeping everything perfectly organized and its soo hard to figure out where all parts truly belong. On top of it all, i cant find motor mounts to save my life right now, so i need some good recomendations for places to find parts...ive done my fair share of googling and cant come up witht he right stuff.....HELP

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well you come to the right place and if you car is a 89 or up I may have a pair of motor mounts used in great condition I could let go.

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
its an 89 turbo model...that would be awsome if i could grab those from u...what style are they? i have the round type w/ stud through the whole thing

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
pretty much a stock rebuild as far as parts are concered...i got clevite pistons, as well as all bearings , normal chrome molly rrings from perfect circle, all .020 over...I GOT A NAPA IN...also the block i was working on had some crazy surface rust in al the cylinders, some worse than others...as a result i decided to actually sleeve each cylinder for cosmetic purposes..after we bored out the block there was still a smal amount of pitting on the walls so it was just better sleeving the whole fu..in thing,...as far as i know those are some of the best parts for a stock rebuild...ne comments?

also random question: i got a reman head offline to go with this beauty shortblock, and also a high pressure cometic head gasket, is there any nescesary machining that needs to be done to the head for the gasket to be working properly?

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
no replies on the question about the machining of the head with a new high compression cometic head gasket...it is a reman head..brand new

Justin727

T-virus infected
MLS head gasket. what size is it? also your block surface needs to be as smooth as possible along with the head both being as flat too. iirc the cometic needs an RA of 30 or was it 60... someone will chime in on that.
btw the thickiness of the hg will either give you higher, lower, or damn near stock compression.