Motor Mounts

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
So I was curious about why pre 89 square motor mounts can’t be used on post 89 cars? I have read this several times and it keeps coming back to short screws. However, if one changed to longer screws would it be possible and if so what are the benefits/disadvantages of doing this? The reason why I ask is because I have the pre 89 square motor mounts but a post 89 car. I have read that the pre 89 mounts are stronger and sit the engine a little lower in the engine bay. So I am just looking for some clarification. Any and all comments are appreciated.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
I am not aware of anything to do with longer/shorter bolts, but yes the pre-89 mounts are a bit stronger. I am actually trying to convert my '91 to the pre-89 spec mounts. Was gonna use the pre-89 sub frame since my '87 parts car has one still in it and use the poly mounts to keep the motor in check. That is of course, provided that the Pre-89 mount brackets will bolt to a '91 block. I haven't gotten that far yet.:)

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I tore 2 sets of post 89 mounts on my 7m, too bad you can't run the MKIV mounts that you run after a swap, can't see tearing them really, they are encased in metal.

Oh, the pre-89 are shorter, the mount itself I believe not the "screws"? Maybe this is the problem, you shouldn't be using screws at all dude....:p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89 still had square mounts, mounts changed later.

Anyway, yes, you can use the TT 2J mounts on the later round mount cars, just have to cut a nipple off the mount. If you have round mounts you don't mess with the brackets.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Poodles;1652056 said:
89 still had square mounts, mounts changed later.

Anyway, yes, you can use the TT 2J mounts on the later round mount cars, just have to cut a nipple off the mount. If you have round mounts you don't mess with the brackets.

Very cool. Thanks for the info Poodles.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
mkiv 2jz round mounts are a direct replacement for our round 7m mounts. Poodles is right about cutting off the nipple and the change in mounts happened late in the 89 production year. I have seen a 89+ car that had square mounts in it on the 89+ sub frame. Lets just say it was a hack job and the motor sat cocked to one side

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jester1341;1652745 said:
what type of modification is needed to use 2JZ engine mounts in an early modle, say an '87??

john

You don't. I imagine it might be possible with custom brackets, but it's not worth it when the stock mounts are rugged design that Toyota used for years. The mounts have ears on them that will hit the cup that goes over them, stopping them from tearing (and if they do tear, stops the engine from playing rollover). Also, there is a stabilizer mounted to the block that bolts to the frame that reacts to sharp movements. Lots of people throw them out thinking they're blown when they're not.

Keep in mind if you get cheap mounts made in god knows where, they won't be as durable as stock. Been there, done that on my old toyota truck with similar mounts. Stockers lasted nearly 20 years, replaced them with mounts made in india, lasted 6 months.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Which is weirds since august is the switch over usually to the next model year (meaning yours may be a 90, does it have an airbag?)