motor locked up on test startup found fuel on top of no.4 piston suggestions?

jusapayne

Jul 3, 2012
se kansas
Installed 7mgte in sons car. Car spun a few times and stopped. Thought the starter went out but it turned out we had fuel (enough to keep the engine from turning over) on top of number 4 cylinder. Any suggestions.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be a leaking injector. I'd keep the plug out and let it air out.

Best get would either be to have the injectors flow tested and cleaned to see if that was the issue or find another injector.

Hopefully no damage was done when it stopped.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Pull the efi fuse and pull all the plugs then crank it over a few times to clear out the cylinders. I say pull all the plugs so the starter will run over faster. You could always swap injectors to see if it does it again.

jusapayne

Jul 3, 2012
se kansas
Thanks to both of you for responding. This is our first supra experience. We have an 87 7mgte with the r154 trans and an 89 parts car with the 7mgte and w58 (someone converted it from an auto.) Sons first car and i'm trying to get it running before his birthday. Already went through several wiring issues. Still don't have the fuel pump wiring working. Had a bad ground on E1 at the ecm preventing the efi relay pull down. fixed that and have been using the diagnostic bypass for now to run the pump. Can't seem to get the open circuit relay to pull down in the right hand kick panel. Going to double check the timing marks when I get home today and put all six injectors in with new seals and Vaseline. Thanks for the tip about clearing the cylinders. will post results when the car is running.

jusapayne

Jul 3, 2012
se kansas
Car started finally but we have raw fuel coming out on the exhaust manifold (visually see it) and the car seems to be missing on one cylinder. Will be checking for spark today and compression. Also going to check the normals - wires, spark plugs, wires. Any suggestions would be appreciated. So close now we can taste it. Literally!

jusapayne

Jul 3, 2012
se kansas
Ground good to coil. Compression good on all cylinders. Al ohm checks good on injectors and coil. Performed a spark plug test on the coil and no.1 sparked once and no more, 6 sparked to what i would call normal, 3 and 2 acted like one, 4 and 5 acted like 6. Not sure i'm testing them like the manual said. not sure what the solenoid resistor is. One for the fuel pump or the efi resistor? Will check for cracks and probably change the coil out with spare one from the parts car and test again.

jusapayne

Jul 3, 2012
se kansas
found a ground wire on ecu that we had added to make the efi relay work. ground was making two injectors open constantly. problem fixed on to the next.