Motec Traction Control Testing

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
We took Tim's Mustang down to the track last night, and did initial setup on the traction control (M800 Motec). In brief, the Mustang is running 289 cu in, glide, on crappy little 275/50/15 BFG Drag Radials weighing in at 3400lbs. It is also running E98 for fuel, and fuel system capacity is currently limiting our boost to 26.5 psi on the top end (note fuel pressure drop on the top end). I am using vehicle speed based boost (speed off front tire), along with traction control which can reduce boost, timing or cut ignition/fuel based upon the slip data (all fully programmable).

Why post on SM? One, just to showcase a bit more what these systems can do. And because I will soon be offering an "almost" PNP kit for anyone with a Motec (or can be built into a PNP harness your order from us) that only requires simple connections to the wheel speed sensors and will include basic setup info for the Mk4 Supra. For the Motec Mk3 guys interested (besides Ron who already has it) I can explore the easiest way to implement.

First pass with no TC (note wheelspin, throttle, boost, etc and this is certainly not the worst pass for this car in regards to spin):

withouttc.jpg

Second pass with TC setup/tuned:

withtc.jpg

The second pass was the faster pass of the two, all other settings being the same. As the night went on I was able to increase the boost sooner, along with allowing the Motec to trim the boost based upon slip data from the TC.

This is all available to anyone running a Motec in their Supra! :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
John: TC was one of the BIG selling points behind me getting the M800, my car is pretty well undrivable without it.

I have mine set to pull boost pull timing cut ignition and modulate the Throttle and with all of the above it works quite well.

My induction system is Wet so there's a HUGE chance of manifold explosions if I let it hard cut :(

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
There was a certain top-level Hinda guy who did this a few years back using the rear wheel speed (on a FWD car, this is direct road speed) vs. boost...he pretty much owned the deal for the first half of the season until someone figured it out and they wrote a rule outlawing it.

The only thing I would add editorially is that while it's a cool trick, the effectiveness is somewhat limited in a RWD car, because it only works on relatively sedate combos...put a tire under it or get the car really hooking and the front wheel speed isn't a reliable measurement anymore...and besides...just about every major sanctioning body has outlawed it already. :evil2:

Having the ECU adjust the drivetrain with regards to positional information is a fairly taboo deal when it comes to racing.

It does work awesome, though...LOL...he KILLED for a few months...LOL