Mo's 1991 Supra 500 rwhp Build-up (Long Overdue!)***New Pics on Pg.6&7***

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Update - 8/15/2010:

My good 'ol pops and I (AKA Little Hercules since he often has the tendency to tighten bolts a tad too much and brake them, not to mention, he's 5'6 :)) were able to heli-coil 6 out of the 7 exhaust studs. Interestingly, the guy who previously had the motor had already heli-coiled most of them. However, they were 10mm heli-coils. The two which he did not heli-coil (#1 & #6) were, of course, stripped.

I used Driftmotion's 7M Stud kit. The tap holder was kind of a POS and kept slipping, but I was able to make it work. Besides that, the kit is very complete and worth the money in my opinion. In order to get to the #6 stud, I'm going to have to cut down the 29/64 drill bit and put the end on a lathe to fit inside the 3/8 chuck on my 90 degree drill.

Overall, everything went smoothly. It was a bit nerve-racking to drill into the side of my head. The stud beneath the PS reservoir was also a hugh pain in the ass, but we finally got it to work. These studs are substantially larger than the stock studs. My hope is that this will be the last time dealing with these bolts. We'll see what happens though.

Pictures to follow in a few days.

-Mo

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Update: 12/27/2010

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Update: 12/27/2010

Finally got around to finishing up the last heli-coil on th head. What a nerve racking job that was. Overall, everything went very well. Besides a somewhat malfunctioning tap, I would highly recommend Driftmotion's kit. It is very complete and seems like it will hold up well. I also replaced hatch and fuel door cables.

I'm visiting a Chrome/ Powder Coat shop in the next few days to send out various engine bay pieces to get done. Once those are complete, I will need to plumb my oil system and fabricate a custom downpipe for the turbo set-up. After that, it will be a matter of re-installing various interior pieces, bumpers, etc and she will be good to go.

On a side note, I have decided to go wit ha full Standalone EMS. I'm learning towards the AEM, however, any advice is greatly appreciated. My complete Maft-Pro Speed Density set-up will be up for sale if anyone is interested. I think it has at most 2k miles and will come with a 3 bar map sensor.

Goal: To be fully re-assembled and dyno-tuned by Spring 2011. Pictures to follow.

Happy Holidays!
-Mo

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
holy crap...mo you're alive!!

btw: i have the aem also, lmk if u need any help and i will try to do so

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MoMo! :) What's good, home loaf!?

I've been thinking of ditching the Mpro too, and putting it on my pickup in the summer with the 7M swap. Haven't decided on a standalone yet, though.

Let me know if/when you want to fabricate a downpipe, perhaps I can help you out?

Side note: Finish your damn car so I get motivated!

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Emp, I am always lurking ~said in an evil villain voice~ :). What do you think about the AEM? I was leaning towards that option considering most tuning shops have a decent amount of experience with it. Although considering my car is a '91, I'm not sure if that is going to cause any problems with the newer version.

Chris, the downpipe is probably next on my list. Since the headbolts are done, we can hook up the turbo for a mock fitting of the downpipe. At the same time, we can try and re-align the IC and see if any adjustments have to be made to the lower IC pipe. Let me know when you're free and we'll plan it The car is now in the garage so it's nice and warm lol. I'm motivated again myself so I need my sidekick. You can the Green Hornet and I'll be Kato ha!

Oh and considering you disappeared for about 30 min and hooked up the entire Maft-Pro on your own, I am relying on you to remove all the components so I can sell it and recoup some of my costs ;)

-Ace signing off

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
I like it a lot....some have had bad luck with it but so far so good with me. I've only tuned it on the streets but with good results.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Thanks man.

We'll see what I decide. I've got a lot more research to do. If I'm going to spend $1k+ on an EMS, I want to make damn sure it is the right purchase.

-Mo

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Carter,

Take a look at Pg. 20. There are some more recent pics there.

Thanks for checking it out.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm in the process of installing the carpet. What a PITA it is turning out to be. It's coming along well, just kind of frustrating.

I should have the interior completed and back together in 2 days. Then I will be removing my intake and selling it along with my IC pipes and throttle.

I've decided to go with a Sethron Long Runner FMIC and a Wolf V500 EMS with LS2 coils ;). This is the last I'm changing my mind, I promise lol

-Mo

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Update: 1/7/11

I'm almost done installing the carpet. What a pain in the arse it turned out to be. The carpet itself is pretty good quality. However, since there are no real mounting points and it is one piece, it becomes very cumbersome to maneuver within the car. My father and I basically used a Lowe's carpet adhesive and a heat gun to make the carpet a bit more malleable. It's not perfect, but definitely an improvement. There are few more areas that need to be tacked.

I also installed the door sills (which helped keep the carpet in place), CF Arm Rest, and CF Window Cowl. We did some sanding, priming, and painted in the rear hatch area as well to "freshen" it up a bit.

Next, I have to install the new speakers, run some more wiring with Shaeff, and install a custom set of Katzin Seat Covers :naughty:

Enjoy the pics:

p1658001_1.jpg

p1658001_2.jpg

p1658001_3.jpg

p1658001_4.jpg

p1658001_5.jpg

p1658001_6.jpg

p1658001_7.jpg

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Update 1/18/211--Installed Rear Sunshade:

I figured I'd start installing the rest of my goodies while I'm waiting for the major parts to come in. I installed this beauty earlier today. Very straight forwrad install. Overall, the quality is very good. The pictures made the screws look brown, but in reality, they are black. Enjoy...

p1662587_1.jpg

p1662587_2.jpg

p1662587_3.jpg

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Grandavi;1662592 said:
where did you get the sunshade from? I thought you couldn't find those anymore (unless on a parted out MKIII). Very nice build!

KevinM MIGHT have leftovers but not sure

Retro-Spec for sure has some though

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I will look for Retro-Spec. : ) Just a note.. I did carpet in a Celica that I found was easier to cut the carpet when I ended up with curves causing folds. Then I hand stitched using a thick nylon thread (I used to do upholstery many many years ago). You can heat mold it, but its tough. I just trimmed and sewed. Especially in areas that are covered by seat edge/console.. just to get it to lay perfectly flat. I also did a very expensive, but effective sealer under the carpet before I put it down using the sealant that they use on air conditioning units in buildings (cant remember the name, but it never hardens fully.. and locks moisture out.. ) You need to pre-do that kind of fun stuff.. cause it stinks if you dont air it out for about a week. (just my thoughts on carpeting)