morganson's COP S-Type setup

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
having problems with ignition breakup (so i think) over 15psi of boost. definitely in need of a stronger ignitior, would like to know if that dual stock ignitor would work? or an alternative that isnt going to cost as much as the hks dli or msd dis-4 plus

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Two things.
1- check and make sure the main harness going to the coil harness is in good shape. If the wires are pulled away then it is arcing and firing the other cylinders.
2- check your plugs. Im currently running mk4-t denso tt #4504 i think.

Both of these happened to me and both were the solutions. Just s bit of info.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
ill give that a shot
i noticed awhile back one of my wires to the plug backed out, but i fixed that. i will check the rest for good connection

currently running NGK Copper Spark Plug 4644 / BKR7E, which was an improvement over stock

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mstgeer;1976442 said:
The market will soon be flooded with the Tookwik setups, anyone want to by mine now before the prices plummet?

Nah. Waiting until the bubble bursts is when you buy. That is the good part about economic depressions like we are in.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
I had a Horrendous misfire,and after Two sets of shite iridiums,they put a set of Stock Plats in,and its much better,i am awaiting getting the twinpower fitted

Too much Spent,,,but hey,,more to go !!!

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Has anyone ran this setup making 450-500 rwhp? Also wondering if anyone has put on some miles using this system. I think if nothing else it looks great. Is there any way of using timing light with cop setup?

Chira

ABQ MK3 Kid
Sep 14, 2009
Albuqueruqe New Mexico USA
So I ordered my coils off eBay and trimmed the rubber boots down, currently I am in need of trimming the springs but the coils I ordered came with springs that has a metal slug wrapped in the spring. I'll take a picture abs attach it later. I removed them from four and was going Leave two in and see how they operate compared to the for that don't have the slugs.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Selling my setup unfortunately, works great for stockish setups but igniter can't charge them enough for a 62mm turbo and 15+psi of boost :/

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
What are you going to run for your ignition? The igniter is the weak point of this whole thing but these coils give you so much room to grow. Aem is even compatible with this. What you need is a stronger controller for your ignition. I would keep the setup though your not going to find anything much better on the market. Unless of coarse you are joining the 1zz crowd. Which is still a weaker coil... but it is yours to do as you please.
(Im sorry if this sounds like im lecturing.)

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
No you're definitely right I should probably keep it, but I don't plan on going aem for awhile. Plus my power steering rack went out so it'd be nice for a little cash. We'll see what I go to in the end when I go full standalone

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Nuffboost87

May 30, 2014
Fredericksburg VA
New to Supramania but not Supras. This is my second supra (first turbo) and I've had her since 2001. When I bought her she was already putting down just over 500 WHP at 21 psi. At the time I did not have the FFIM setup and AEM, but internals and head was the same as now. Was running 550 injectors, Greddy Profec boost controller, Greddy Rebic LC piggyback computer and the HKS VPC. The RebiC was an animal. It eliminated the fuel cut, rev limiter, and speed limiter. I once did 160MPH with only 8PSI. The problem was that the Rebic could not handle for the Cams. Car was always running too rich. Still even without the cam another friend who had the identical setup made 604 WHP at 28 PSI. So here I am today and since I’ve made my final set of upgrades 3 years ago I haven’t been able to do much more. Not with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage. Anyway after installing the AEM was having ignition issues as the AEM didn’t like the multiplex design. I’m now ready to correct that issue but must decide between the 1ZZ COP or the COP S-type setup using DG 500 coils. With 3 leaks in intake and car only tuned to drive made 405 HP at 12.5 PSI. Goal is 600 at 21 to 24psi. Been hearing that the 1ZZ setup is a weaker coil (still sure its stronger than stock) but I like it because it does eliminate the need for an igniter. The S-Type setup appears to be a much stronger coil but need to know what igniter I need to use and if the AEM can correct for any perceived shortcomings.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
If I had my choice I would use lq9 coil if you have aem here is a quick link to view the setup*
http://www.2jzgarage.com/2013/05/ls2...-installation/
you will have to search here supra mania to see how they are using these on the 7mgte

Nuffboost87;2008775 said:
New to Supramania but not Supras. This is my second supra (first turbo) and I've had her since 2001. When I bought her she was already putting down just over 500 WHP at 21 psi. At the time I did not have the FFIM setup and AEM, but internals and head was the same as now. Was running 550 injectors, Greddy Profec boost controller, Greddy Rebic LC piggyback computer and the HKS VPC. The RebiC was an animal. It eliminated the fuel cut, rev limiter, and speed limiter. I once did 160MPH with only 8PSI. The problem was that the Rebic could not handle for the Cams. Car was always running too rich. Still even without the cam another friend who had the identical setup made 604 WHP at 28 PSI. So here I am today and since I’ve made my final set of upgrades 3 years ago I haven’t been able to do much more. Not with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage. Anyway after installing the AEM was having ignition issues as the AEM didn’t like the multiplex design. I’m now ready to correct that issue but must decide between the 1ZZ COP or the COP S-type setup using DG 500 coils. With 3 leaks in intake and car only tuned to drive made 405 HP at 12.5 PSI. Goal is 600 at 21 to 24psi. Been hearing that the 1ZZ setup is a weaker coil (still sure its stronger than stock) but I like it because it does eliminate the need for an igniter. The S-Type setup appears to be a much stronger coil but need to know what igniter I need to use and if the AEM can correct for any perceived shortcomings.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
The aem should be able to work with "dummy" coils. These were designed to work with the factory igniter. But I dont think there is a better looking kit out there right now. These dont require a ffim. If you have an ffim then you can use aftermarket coils like msd and accel.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
The aem should be able to work with "dummy" coils. These were designed to work with the factory igniter. But I dont think there is a better looking kit out there right now. These dont require a ffim. If you have an ffim then you can use aftermarket coils like msd and accel.

Nuffboost87

May 30, 2014
Fredericksburg VA
.....OK...So bear with me..I have a couple of questions. What are you referring to as 'dummy coils'? Since this setup was designed in mind for the factory igniter is there any suggestion or has anyone figured out exactly what igniter to use with a standalone? Prior to seeing this set-up I was going to run the IS300 setup, foremost because the multiplex ignition issue is preventing me from getting a proper tune. Idle at time jumps all over the place. I actually have everything for that setup, but then I came across the 1ZZ setup and thought I was in love plus it elimnates the need for an igniter. This set-up however looks even better to me but I need to be practical. I know we all love this set-up but I need a few folks to try and give me their honest unbiased opinion on which set-up would be better for my application. Again, I'm running the AEM, FFIM and a T66 Turbo, 750 cc injectors ect. Also if I did run this setup I would go with aftermarket coils, is there a size I should get. Otherwise I would run the DG500 coils to start and just work my way up but I dont want to spend anymore than I need to.

Nuffboost87

May 30, 2014
Fredericksburg VA
Hey Sheedy....Are you still interested in selling your setup? Does it include everything...Plate, coils, harness and if so how much would you part with them for? Just checking. Thanks!