morganson's COP S-Type setup

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Sooo had a set back, the coils wont sit even in the head if i place them as low as i can. However i may still be able to make the plate work, coils will sit a little higher than what i wanted. A little disapointed but will roll with it. Pics later.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I like the first hold down better. Either would be ok.

Off topic, Can you take a better picture of the black engine compartment. I would like to see how you have the throttle mechanism working. Looks nice with no throttle bracket and stuff going over cylinder head.

I am thinking hard about doing this or another ignition mod.

My concern, can cheap coils be any good?

I appreciate your time.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Cheap coils are cheap. You guys probably wouldnt pay 500$ for this setup if i said it had msd coils on it. The cheap coils have worked so far but im not putting alot of stock in the coil. How many people have bought junk yard IS coils because new ones are to expensive. The great old saying, speed costs, how fast do you want to go. I could post up all the info i have on the setup and let every one build their own. Im not trying to make a living off this just share with the community and if you want me to build on for you i can. If you want better coils, buy better coils. Its what this is capable of that is the big point.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
About a month. I just got the 550s in the car yesterday and got to turn the boost up. No problems at 14psi all the way up to 7k. Im going to be putting another set together in two weeks. ( out of money now) need someone that can duplicate this plate fast. I cant cut abunch of the out by hand. It took me a week to do this one plate.

zer0faith

Mar 1, 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
Seeing the phenolic plate and how you have it set I def now would pay 200 for it easy. But if you want to post up a how to for the wiring that would be cool to :)

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Im going to get some picks up tonight of the set in the car. Fit and finish is top notch in my opinion. Again i would like to find someone that can make copies of this thing either out of billit or phenolic. Cnc or waterjet. I dont have anyone around here that does anything like it. So i can get a batch of these things done.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Looks like I will be robbing a few coils from my F150.

I used to work for a plastics company that could CNC the mounting plates but I doubt you want to ship it this far north.
Any decent plastics fabrication shop should be able to make these for you no problem. If you have a template they wouldn't even need to use a CNC. Or if you have a table router you could make your own. Just double sided tape them together and use a straight bit with a bearing on it to follow the original.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Do you know if the coils have a set polarity? I scored a set of coils at the local pick a part and I'd like to follow your write up. I'd like to make sure that it gets wired right the first time.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Sweet. Next chance I get I'm gonna wire it all up and see what I can do. I'm gonna be cheap about it and try to use the number 3 cover (the metal piece that sits between the cam covers. I'll use studs and nuts to raise it up a bit if needed but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If not how much would you charge to make and send me one of your mounting plates?

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Theoreticly yes. But I don't have a jz head lying around to build a plate or tell you how low you can set them in the head.
Additionally the ignitor is different for the mk4 and other jz cars unless of course you are inquiring about a transplant car. Then everything should plug in.

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
Nice setup you have going here. It would be really nice to see a higher HP 7M using this setup on their car. Something around 500+HP. I really like how clean the install looks. A lot cleaner "looking" than the IS coils.

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
My setup is in and running, its a good improvement over the stock coils, I am going to do some more testing on the igniter to see how it copes with the extra load the coil put on it.