More rebuild questions!!!

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
Ok, you guys have been a great amount of help, and I can't thank you enough! As I get farther into my build I find out that there is a lot I don't know about the supra! When I bought this car I was constantly told how much easier it is to work on then my other car (90' 300zxTT)! I am finding that harder to believe.. I mean sure it's easier to work on when it's in the car but no out, and I have already done a search but there is too many posts with the word rebuild in it haha! Thanks for all the help in advance.

Well here's my question, I noticed that the flywheel bolts are like head bolts and are 1 time use! So I will be going with ARP's just like my head...
Question 1: I know that there are two types of ARP's for the heads, the studs and the bolts... Which do you recommend?
Question 2: Are there anymore bolts that need to be replaced after being removed?
Qusetion 3: Is there anything else I should be looking to replace while the motor is out, the motor has roughly 70k on it?

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
erags1092;1616123 said:
im also curious about this. its kinda hard to find rebuild answers. but from what i know if you just replace all the gaskets and clean it up idk what else theres probly alot

Ya gaskets are a given, the best part of the rebuild is that I finally get to fix my oil and tranny leaks =]
I just wanna know stuff that might not pop into someones head that hasn't rebuilt a 7m before!
I think I might need to replace my clutch soon too, I'll post pic later to see what you guys think.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
1.) ARP Studs are the better route
2.) If you're doing the bottom end as well, just about anything down there isn't a bad idea to replace as well. Be smart with things. If it is bad condition, replace it. I replaced my exhaust manifold studs/nuts because they were in horrible condition.
3.) I'm sure there will be more, but I'll list what I did...

Coolant hoses
Vaccuum lines (mine were getting cracked and junk)
Gaskets all around - MAKE SURE YOU GET A METAL EGR COOLING PLATE GASKET AND NOT A CARDBOARD/PAPER ONE!
2x Comp Cams 975-12 valve springs (2 boxes of 12 springs) - requires some patience and/or some minor seat modifications, but a worthwhile upgrade while things are apart
Block and head machining for metal head gasket
Metal head gasket at the appropriate thickness (reference: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection)

Oh, and I'll be damned the day that someone who knows both the Supra and the 300ZX TT says the 300 is easier to work on ;)