Mods to do while whole car is taken apart?

g7c5c

Oct 6, 2007
The Bronx
My buddy is gonna take my car apart and put in a 1J as well as do a lot of other stuff... stitch welding the unibody, welding in some frame bracing, etc., etc...

What are some mods that involve cheapish parts but costly labor? He's going to put in urethane suspension bushings, that's the sort of mod I'm talking about, where the parts are only a couple hundred bucks but the labor would normally be prohibitively expensive? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Diff seals and main seals for sure.

All coolant lines. There are some behind the head and turbos that are almost impossible to reach once in the car.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Depends on your plans for the car, but for a street/GT style build I would definitely coat the entire interior in sound deadening. A few hundred bucks should get you full coverage with decent stuff and will make the car feel/sound much nicer when it's all back together.

If it's a track car or something, then never mind, haha.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
sound systeme, battery relocation, fuel pump rewire, the big 3 upgrades to the fuse box, lube your camber bolt so they dont seize on the bushing sleeve

g7c5c

Oct 6, 2007
The Bronx
LOL we're actually planning on removing as much sound deadening material as possible... I like really raw visceral cars more so than comfy GTs.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
rhs;2068707 said:
Diff seals and main seals for sure.

All coolant lines. There are some behind the head and turbos that are almost impossible to reach once in the car.

I forgot to add that I recommend putting some sort of sealant around the metal coolant tube insert on the back of the head, where it joins the head. Mine started leaking out of the press fit somehow and I had to awkwardly contort my arm to put JB Water Weld around it, which is holding well fortunately.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
rhs;2068881 said:
I forgot to add that I recommend putting some sort of sealant around the metal coolant tube insert on the back of the head, where it joins the head. Mine started leaking out of the press fit somehow and I had to awkwardly contort my arm to put JB Water Weld around it, which is holding well fortunately.

Instead of sealant, I'd just buy brand new union fittings. I got both parts needed for ~$25 or so a few years back. Well worth it and it should stay leak free for many years. Re-using the old ones is a recipe for an annoying leak.

90401-22004
90405-17005
90430-22008 x2

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprarx7nut;2068882 said:
Instead of sealant, I'd just buy brand new union fittings. I got both parts needed for ~$25 or so a few years back. Well worth it and it should stay leak free for many years. Re-using the old ones is a recipe for an annoying leak.

90401-22004
90405-17005
90430-22008 x2

Good to know. I wasn't aware it was that easy of a fix. I'd have done it had I known it would be an issue, but once in the car it's either pull the engine or seal it.

On that note, screw you, Toyota for doing that.