modification question

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
Hello everyone-
I started my swap/restoration about 18 months ago.A little slow I know, but as we all know good things come to those who wait, or those that scour the for sale forums & ebay! LOL!:biglaugh:
Any how, I have purchased most of my parts. I still have about $250 worth of misc parts to buy from Driftmotion, BIC motor mounts,clutch kit & possibly an aftermkt intercooler.(and paint!!) Here is a list of the mods I have purchased to date: 1jzgte- stock TT / stock FMIC @ this time
HKS- PFC F-CON
HKS- Super megaflow intake
HKS- Dual Drager full exhaust
HKS- boost & EGT gauges
HKS- BOV
HKS- type 1 turbo timer
Voodoo- MBC
3" DP/ Y-pipe combo
I am running the stock map sensor and stock injectors & I was told there is a walbro in the tank but I have yet to check it out.
What kind of horsepower should I expect once I get it built?
I plan on running @14psi ? I should also probably upgrade my intercooler as well. Would like to stick w/ HKS on that, but I'm sure I can find a good one from Godspeed for considerably less. Any one have any ideas on what size intercooler would be best for the mods I've purchased?
The car will be full weight as I am building what I hope to be a show car to some degree, not a race car, that is one reason I am taking so long with this as I am. I plan on unveiling it, with all before and after pics some time summer '08. Hopfully drive to a Supra meet and meet all of you.
Can anyone direct me to some one who can tune this car correctly the first time in the central Florida area? I live between Daytona and Orlando.
Please chime in, I've only gotten as far as I have because of all of you. I welcome all input.

Last edited:

aberabee

Oct 28, 2007
south carolina
no suggestions for tuning, but +1 to the intercooler...you will be suprised how much of a difference it will make. had a 1JZ sc300 and was astounded by the comparison.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Maybe 300rwhp.

As for the fuel pump...You'll be able to hear it. It is quite louder than the stock one.

As for the FMIC...I am using a 24x12x3. The stock IC is good for the HP you are at. But, it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
AF1JZ said:
Maybe 300rwhp.

As for the fuel pump...You'll be able to hear it. It is quite louder than the stock one.

As for the FMIC...I am using a 24x12x3. The stock IC is good for the HP you are at. But, it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

Perhaps I missed something, but the guys around here with jza70's make 300whp with just BPU (downpipe,intake, FMIC, etc.)

So if this guy is running 14psi I would imagine he'd be running a bit higher right? Or maybe I'm just figuring in boost creep.. anyhow.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
Damn, I was hoping that I might be a liitle closer to 350hp. Especially if I take it to a dyno to be tuned. I would like to see this car between 350 & 400hp. preferably the later and stay w/ the stock turbos till they blow, then get them rebuilt, less the ceramic wheels. I know thats pushing those turbos.
Does anyone have a mod list for Mike Urbano's(RIP), 1jz that was in that magazine article titled "Jazz it!"? Not sure what magazine it was in, just saw a picture of the article on line. It was what appeared to be a midnight blue91,2.5 TT conversion as it was LHD. It apparently produced 495rwhp. Not looking to go that far, just wondered what his mods might have been.
Anyhow, how far am I from my goal. Please don't say go single. I believe I've had that discussion on here before. Not interested in that option @ this time.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
Dylan JZ said:
Perhaps I missed something, but the guys around here with jza70's make 300whp with just BPU (downpipe,intake, FMIC, etc.)

So if this guy is running 14psi I would imagine he'd be running a bit higher right? Or maybe I'm just figuring in boost creep.. anyhow.

That's what I was thinking. I was figuring new FMIC & a good tune at the dyno shop and I should be around 350. Maybe I've got some more homework to do.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Divin' Devin said:
That's what I was thinking. I was figuring new FMIC & a good tune at the dyno shop and I should be around 350. Maybe I've got some more homework to do.

The jump from around 300whp up to the 350 mark definitely requires more boost and a tune IMO.

Or so thats what I've gathered. OneJoeZee told me that in order to hit the 330whp mark that I'd have to running around 15-16psi. But I think that he had that figured without an AFC or other.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
aberabee said:
no suggestions for tuning, but +1 to the intercooler...you will be suprised how much of a difference it will make. had a 1JZ sc300 and was astounded by the comparison.
An IC is a decent upgrade, but cams will make more of a difference. I would suggest upgrading cams before IC.

Like I've said before. A local guy and I both had similar mods, except I had cams, and he had IC. I ran 3 tenths faster than him in the 1/4 the same night.