Mobil 1 S2000, high mileage

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
What your opinion on that oil?

That my selected oil, Mobil 1 S2000, 5W-30.
This is a mix of synthetic and mineral base stock, a Group III, and a high millage oil. My motor have lot of mille and the pure synthec have generaly
too much cleaning agent for me and I don't want to take the chance to have a blue cloud in my back...
Also this viscosity is pretty good and formulation is good for 10000km
(6200 milles) or 6 month.
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_Super_2000.pdf

Flash Point, °C , 214
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 63.5
cSt at 100°C 10.7
energy conserving

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I told you (a couple times now)...a synthetic will not produce a "blue cloud" out your exhaust.

Go ahead and use it...you're not going to listen to me anyway ;)

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
I respect you djub, I learn a lot from your writing on oil and your link like Mr.Haas. You re doing a good job...

But what i know is when your rings is too used (I associate the used rings with an old sport motor, it's normal), the mineral oil leave a depot that pretty seal them and the leakage was low or 0.
But take a good syntec oil, with lot of cleaning additive, and run it into your old used motor and yes, you will burn a little oil.
My daily drive was an Acura and I have switched to syntec mobil 1 at 70000milles and yes, as never before, I burn my oil and a lot...
(the exemple is perfect because the 90s honda have a classic ring problem.)
If I'm doing an error, my error is that the 7MGTE having perfect, solid ring that eat the milles with 0 wear.

I not saying that the pure syntec is too thin, I saying that their cleaning additive can be problematic in my situation, and my situation is probably the situation of 80% of the supra MKIII 20 years owners...

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...explain the physics to me. Considering 3 sets of rings on a piston exert metal-to-metal contact with the cylinder wall. And, the cylinder is oiled via spray from the rods and from the oiling ring (bottom ring) on the piston. How is it possible there are "deposits" on the cylinder walls/rings that effect a seal. Please back it up with facts and not hearsay.

If you want examples:
1) My 1987 Toyota Cressida (5M) with 116K miles on it. My father-in-law owned it before me, purchased new...never had a drop of a PAO oil in it. I switched to GC at 105K...no leaks, no burning oil, gas mileage improved from 21 to 24 MPG.

2) My 1994 Toyota Truck (R22) with 119K. Judging from the varnish under the valve cover, it never had a PAO/ester oil in it either. Switched to GC at 104K...no leaks, no burning oil, gas mileage improved from 23 to 27 MPG.

3) My son's 2001 Honda Civic with 85K. From the maintenance record, it never had PAO/ester oil in it...all changes done at (shutter) Jiffy Lube. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 at 80K...no leaks, no burning oil, gas mileage improved from 30 to 36 MPG.

4) My 1989 Supra has has PAO oil in it from day one...it's been filled with GC for over 15K now. No leaks, no burning oil, gets 25 MPG in the city.

I'll buy that a PAO/ester oil can clean away deposits around engine seals causing a leak, but that leak is due to worn seals...the deposits were just blocking the leak. I don't buy the same thing can happen with rings...the facts just don't add up. Sounds like another "mechanic's myth".

FYI - the detergents (cleaning additive as you say) used in modern motor oil are all basically the same...for both conventional and synthetic oils. The difference is PAO/ester based oils require less...these base stocks do a darn good job at it by themselves.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
1988 Toyota Supra, 4th owner, suffered BHG, 212,000 miles. Switched to Castrol Syntec 0w30 as soon as I got the car - never a drop of a leak.

Didn't burn oil either, until three of the cylinders let go from too much boost on 20 year old injectors ;)

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
If i might add, in some parts of the world Mobil is not just an oil among other oils. In Russia for example sales people will give you all kinds of grief when you come to buy Castrol SLX 0-30, and not Mobil1 5-20. They will spend like 20 minutes recommending cheaper Mobil 1 over more expensive SLX because they have some kind of belief "almost irrational" that Mobil 1 is the answer to everything. Sad? A big Yes. But how many oil sales people are familiar with scientific method to base their recommendations on? And people believe them, "he sells oil- he must know what he is talking about." European series Formula 1 at some point was heavily sponsored by Mobil 1, lots of my friends for already 10 years fill their cars with Mobil 1 because of that. :dunno:

1jjosef

Nov 17, 2008
charlotte
Pernilongo;1283802 said:
If i might add, in some parts of the world Mobil is not just an oil among other oils. In Russia for example sales people will give you all kinds of grief when you come to buy Castrol SLX 0-30, and not Mobil1 5-20. They will spend like 20 minutes recommending cheaper Mobil 1 over more expensive SLX because they have some kind of belief "almost irrational" that Mobil 1 is the answer to everything. Sad? A big Yes. But how many oil sales people are familiar with scientific method to base their recommendations on? And people believe them, "he sells oil- he must know what he is talking about." European series Formula 1 at some point was heavily sponsored by Mobil 1, lots of my friends for already 10 years fill their cars with Mobil 1 because of that. :dunno:

am Russian Ukraine and that is so true about Europe guys lol lol