Mobil 1 oil experience.... :(

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Well guys i currently sold my 89 7mgte pushed 430 rwhp/rwtq and always ran castrol 0-30. Currently the owner did an oil change to MOBIL 1 0-40 European formula and car ran well for 2 weeks. I just bought my 90 supra and decided to do an oil change and did the MOBILE 1 0-40 and as soon as i pull out the drive way the engine starts knocking. I ran the hell out the car up to 120mph FULL 6psi of boost :) and never nocked at all for almost 10 days . Well the same day i did my oil change and my engine started nocking , they guy that i sold the supra to calls me. He said bad news the supra started to knock TOO. At this point im blaming it on the oil. Has anybody had some similar problems with MOBIL 1? Or changing your oil and engine starts nocking?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
As much as I dislike Mobil 1, that's not what did it. Suggest you send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis

wardog;1575232 said:
I ran the hell out the car up to 120mph FULL 6psi of boost :) and never nocked at all for almost 10 days.

^^^ This is the likely culprit. You uncover the oil pick-up due to rapid accel/decel or lateral G in a turn and it only takes a couple seconds to trash the bearings. Were you running a quart over full as shown on the dipstick?

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Yes sir i always run a quart over on all my engines. When i say i ran to 120mph, i mean a couple of times on a straigh away. And this runs were made with the oil change that the car came with , it had a WIX filter. Well i currently hace two supras my 88 ( PROJECT HOLSET ) and new to me 90 5 spd turbo which is my DD. Ill try to send the oil analysis as im down for 2 rebuilds now...Never again ill deviate from castrol 0-30 and im still blaming it on the MObil 1 oil change. What a coinsidence that 2 cars that are not nocking at all start knockin with the same oil. Ill find out when i do my tare down......for now i gotta find a block to do a stock rebuild with MHG for the daily.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Thanks for the advice bsupra but ill stick to German Castrol 0-30 , should of never gone with the Mobil 1 special at Advance...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
bsupra;1576488 said:
Just use Valvoline syn power. Mobile 1 over rated.

Mobil 1 is over rated for what it is, but there are far better oils out there than Valvoline ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdub;1576799 said:
Mobil 1 is over rated for what it is, but there are far better oils out there than Valvoline ;)
oil_extravirgin.jpg
;)

Timmie_g

Jul 17, 2008
Portugal Cove, Newfoundland
I must say I personally run Mobil 1 0w-40 in my performance build and I cant see any ill effects of the Mobil 1 so far, mind you its only been a month. I'm a technician for Dodge and they run that exact oil in all of the SRT lineup including the Viper. Until I find a definative reason to choose otherwise I see no issues with Mobil 1

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Either you got defective Mobil 1 or there's some other factor. As jdub said, sent a sample in for analysis to Blackstone.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL @ Ian :biglaugh:

whitemike;1576805 said:
Jdub, what oil do you run sir?

Castrol European Formula 0W-30 - aka "German Castrol"

Timmie_g;1576864 said:
I must say I personally run Mobil 1 0w-40 in my performance build and I cant see any ill effects of the Mobil 1 so far, mind you its only been a month. I'm a technician for Dodge and they run that exact oil in all of the SRT lineup including the Viper. Until I find a definative reason to choose otherwise I see no issues with Mobil 1

If you want to use a middle of the road oil that's not even a true Grp IV or Grp V synthetic, go right ahead. Exxon Mobil has purposefully hidden (and continues to do so) that they switched to a hydrocracked Grp III base stock years ago - guess why? It's cheaper. That way you can pay a premium price for a oil that's not even a synthetic by definition and help increase Exxon Mobil's profit margin. FYI - Mobil contracts with leading car manufacturers to use their oil at a huge reduced price - it's an advertising ploy, the same as putting their name on the side of race cars.
Looks like you bit sport ;)

That said, Mobil 1 is not going to cause the problems posted by the OP - the assertion that it did is a belief, it's not based on facts. Mobil 1 is a decent oil, actually better than most, but there are far better oils out there for the same or less $$$.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
jdub;1577233 said:
FYI - Mobil contracts with leading car manufacturers to use their oil at a huge reduced price - it's an advertising ploy, the same as putting their name on the side of race cars.

Let me guess.................. GM!!???!!?? :rofl:

I run Mobil 1 in my LT1 and LS6 engines and has had Mobil 1 in them since new. With one over 83K and the other 107K with no problems. Both engines regularly get spun up to redline also ;) You either got some "bad" oil, or something else happened I would suspect.

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
92nsx;1577331 said:
Let me guess.................. GM!!???!!?? :rofl:

I run Mobil 1 in my LT1 and LS6 engines and has had Mobil 1 in them since new. With one over 83K and the other 107K with no problems. Both engines regularly get spun up to redline also ;) You either got some "bad" oil, or something else happened I would suspect.

Both my moms camero and corvette say mobile 1 on the oil caps Ls2/ls? Haha

Timmie_g

Jul 17, 2008
Portugal Cove, Newfoundland
jdub;1577233 said:
LOL @ Ian :biglaugh:

Castrol European Formula 0W-30 - aka "German Castrol"

If you want to use a middle of the road oil that's not even a true Grp IV or Grp V synthetic, go right ahead. Exxon Mobil has purposefully hidden (and continues to do so) that they switched to a hydrocracked Grp III base stock years ago - guess why? It's cheaper. That way you can pay a premium price for a oil that's not even a synthetic by definition and help increase Exxon Mobil's profit margin. FYI - Mobil contracts with leading car manufacturers to use their oil at a huge reduced price - it's an advertising ploy, the same as putting their name on the side of race cars.

That said, Mobil 1 is not going to cause the problems posted by the OP - the assertion that it did is a belief, it's not based on facts. Mobil 1 is a decent oil, actually better than most, but there are far better oils out there for the same or less $$$.

It is very possible I have bitten but I also get it at a reduced price as I get the ol' employee discount lol. So I have plenty on hand whenever I need. But yes I'm sure there are better oils available, but my main point was I have no complaints about Mobil 1 so far, this may all change if something blows up and I cant find something worthwhile to blame it on haha

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
Looks like you bit sport

So when did Mobil change their base stocks? I hadn't heard this was done. What are the better oils you're referring to besides German Castrol?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Marotta1;1577927 said:
So when did Mobil change their base stocks? I hadn't heard this was done. What are the better oils you're referring to besides German Castrol?

As for Mobil1, here's the answer they gave when directly asked if they had switched from GRPIV to GRPIII:

Exxon/Mobil said:
As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles.

If that's not "politician level" bullshit, I don't know what is... As mentioned, it doesn't mean Mobil1 is a bad oil. It's actually very good. There is just better available, why not use something better?

As for when, all of this happened years ago. It started right around the turn of the century when Castrol changed their Syntech product from GRPIV to GRPIII Hydro-cracked. Mobil took them to court and sued them on the basis they were falsely advertising a "dino oil" as a synthetic. Mobil lost the case because API didn't have a clear definition of what "synthetic" was. So Castrol's explanation that the oil "didn't resemble what came out of the ground anymore" allowed them to sell it as a synthetic. Just about all manufacturers of synthetics changed from GRPIV to GRPIII Hydro-cracked oil shortly thereafter, some of them very secretly or deceptively (see above) and some of them today still make some pretty questionable claims. For example; Take the name "Quaker State Full Synthetic Oil" - that's something you'd expect was a real GRPIV synthetic, right? Nope, it's a GRPIII. (I wouldn't run Quaker State in my lawnmower btw...)

Some of common the true synthetics on the market with my comments on each:

OilComment
German CastrolProbably one of the best, cheap and sometimes hard to find.
RedlineAlso top of the line, a little pricey, not too hard to find
Royal PurpleVery good, probably slightly behind Redline or GC but easily available, a little pricey
AMSOilGreat oil, but I don't like thier marketing, business model or prices
Personally I run Royal Purple, which jdub refers to as a "boutique oil" -- meaning it's good, but he feels it's a little overpriced. I've had good results from it on my MKIV's and we used it exclusively at AAP/Supracentral with customer cars. This is not because I "feel" it's good. I run an oil analysis through Blackstone Labs on every change personally and I've run hundreds of customer cars through the same tests as well. It has shown very good results via testing for me.

I'm running an 8,000 mile change interval with a filter swap (Purolator Pure One) at 4,000. My oil analysis results and TBN tests prove this out to be perfect for my car. I've got over 189,000 miles on my current 2JZ.

I'm convinced German Castrol is a slightly better oil, but availability is a challenge and my time is too valuable to me to go chasing around trying to find it. I've got 4 cases of RP in my garage at the moment and I can get it just about anywhere. If you find a good source, you can get it for around $6.50 - $7 a quart.

I also run RP 5w-30 in all of our cars, these include:
  • 1995 MKIV Supra 189,000+ miles - Change interval 8,000 miles, Purolator Pure One Filter @ 4,000
  • 1997 Ford Expedition 5.4 triton 260,000+ miles - Change interval 4,000 miles, Purolator Pure One Filter @ 4,000
  • 2001 Toyota MR-S 80,000+ miles - Change interval 8,000 miles, Purolator Pure One Filter @ 4,000
  • 1990 MKIII Supra 250,000+ miles - Change interval 4,000 miles, Purolator Pure One Filter @ 4,000

By the way, the Expedition looks like it's going to need a headgasket job soon. How do I know this? Not because of ANYTHING that you could detect from driving it or working on it:

truck-report-with-tbn.gif

You can learn what's going on in your motor before it costs you money.

So run whatever you think will work, any of the oils mentioned above will do a good job, and have it tested. It makes a world of difference.

I'd suggest the following:
  • Get some test kits
  • Have a "Virgin Oil Analysis" done on whatever you intend to run so you have an idea on how far it will go.
  • Test/change your oil the 1st time at 4,000 miles, heed the suggestions from Blackstone. They'll probably tell you your oil has X miles of life left in it and your next change should be at X number of miles. Try it. Send another sample in.
  • Lather, rinse, repeat.

Get a test kit here:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Very well said SC - Considering Exxon posted record profits last year, it's no wonder they don't want us to all know they increased the margin on the Mobil 1 line.

Pennzoil (owned by Shell) makes none of those kind of BS dancing around the truth Exxon does. They flat out tell you they use a heavily hydrocracked Grp III in both the Platinum and Ultra lines. They also tell you the process they use refines the base stock to the point where there is little difference between it an a Grp IV PAO - this is a true statement borne out by numerous tests and real world oil analysis. If I were to choose to use a Grp II, Pennzoil Platinum is at the top of the list...Castrol Edge is right there with it. I go for "bang for the buck" - if you can consistently get an excellent quality oil at a good price, use it.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
i have had four friends that needed engine rebiulds after useing mobil 1, one had an sti, lighting, and 2 supra's. all say its due to mobil 1. I use german castrol 0-30

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Make that 3 supra brother. I was goin through some of the data sheets and comparisons jdub has on the oil threads. Its AMAZING how Castrol 0-30 in thicker cold and operatin temperature than royal purple 5-30 and 10-30. Well from now on castrol 0-30 and lucky me i just found some M02 Green castrol.