MKIV Twin upgrade?

Heartbeatracer

Sep 14, 2012
Utah
Running on the stock turbos on my 2JZ JDM swap, 880 injectors.

I guess my question is do I go bigger with the twins or should I switch to Single. I have about 5k to spend on this decision maybe 6k if I really feel the need to add in some extra for something awesome.

Opinions, facts, throw them at me, I'm open ears... It's my first Supra and honestly I don't know what's best for this specific car :)

yea it really depends on your goals it u want over 550hp then go single...if u want a quick spooling 500hp supra i say go twin everyone has their own opinion on it but thats wat im working on for my 1jz right now late wen i get a 2jz i plan on doing a compound setup for 800-1000hp goal! twins do cost alot though look to spend 1800-2300 just on the turbos i was lucking to get some good twin turbo manifold for my 1jz at a good price will need some slight fabrication as im gonna run external wg!

Heartbeatracer

Sep 14, 2012
Utah
it was just around 420rwhp and 405trq, I'm looking for around 500+ but I'm looking to make it a time attack car and not simply for drags.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Twins are inherently complex and become unreliable rapidly when pushed. Go with a small single, you won't regret it.

Heartbeatracer;1875013 said:
it was just around 420rwhp and 405trq, I'm looking for around 500+ but I'm looking to make it a time attack car and not simply for drags.
The thing is if you choose the right set of twins. you wont need 600-700 to beat another supra with 600-700. the right twins will always spool faster and make more TQ than its comparable single. FYI my GT28R turbos flow 31 lbs a min each. now you would think that works out to be equivalent to a 62lb per minute single turbo but its not. by that math they are equivalent to like a gt3582r. but I can tell you for sure that they are more like a 65 lb a minute single. Randy had Surging issues,boost control issues and stock cams and his final numbers were 520rwhp. the setup had much more in it if he actually fixed the surge, boost control and ran 264 cams. but I wanna show you his 480hp dyno..

If you scroll down to post 13 you can see his buddies Single turbo 1jz making 550hp,(On the same dyno) but look at Randys TQ from 3500-4500 on his 480hp pull. and compare it to his buddies TQ at 3500 and up.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...480-hp-456-tq-!!!

At 3500 Randy makes 260 tq... his buddy 150
At 4000 Randy makes 308 tq.. his buddy 210
At 4500 Randy makes 360 tq.. his buddy 230

Keep in mind these are only Randy's numbers from his 480hp pull not is 520. and that's with issues. I know a clean 575 to 600hp are in the twins with cams and no boost problems. with almost squared TQ. The RB guys have made more than 550 to four wheels

A good pair of twins will get u a great supra i would suggest precisions with billet wheel which run the same price as garrett gt2871 and are better but like i said it is expensive i myself have thought about goin single many times wen i see the price of some of the things i need to buy but its great to be different and keep up and sometimes beat the single guys!!

Heartbeatracer

Sep 14, 2012
Utah
That's an interesting way of thinking about it.

I think i'll plan on staying twin until I win a bunch of money somewhere, somehow, or a purse of a bunch of money shows up at my doorstep xD.

Where's a good place to look for the twin upgraded turbos, and would they need extensive work to replace or just bolt ons?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Heartbeatracer;1875248 said:
Where's a good place to look for the twin upgraded turbos, and would they need extensive work to replace or just bolt ons?
Talk to Albert on here if you want to stick with twins.

I'm still on the side of the fence that a properly sized modern single turbo will wipe the floor with 20 year old twin technology. This coming from a guy who keeps up with his buddies with singles because they went way too big but don't push them hard enough to utilize the big turbo. ;) If you can swing it, a ball bearing, small single turbo will give you some pretty impressive powerband...

Heartbeatracer;1875248 said:
That's an interesting way of thinking about it.

I think i'll plan on staying twin until I win a bunch of money somewhere, somehow, or a purse of a bunch of money shows up at my doorstep xD.

the manifold is the hardest to come by but they are out there...if you want a direct fit to your current manifolds them get yours upgraded by albert, there are bolt on manifold but u will have to get your intercooler turboside fabricated and your down pipe adjusted should be more than 350 for that. turbos i would pick anything in th gt28 series for garrett or 5128 billet from precision i would suggest a 60mm wastegate if you go this route!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
travweek;1875032 said:
the right twins will always spool faster and make more TQ than its comparable single

Either/or. If they are small (twins spool slower) then it can respond faster with less power and torque. Many factors go into the final number.

Heartbeatracer

Sep 14, 2012
Utah
I'm going with a Greddy T78 Single upgrade :) HKS VPRO, and 850cc Fuel system!

I'll probably end up buying the quick spool device too