mkIV for $9.999 debating on buying help please

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I agree with everyone else. You'll get killed on insurance alone. Just be patient, establish a good driving record and once the insurance rates start to come down then pick up something nice. If it's a MK4 you want, don't worry. They'll be around for years to come. Also, FWIW, I've heard some bad stories about Tiger.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
pick up something with a manual transmission- that will keep you busy for a while
learn to rev match downshift/ heel and toe. learn the capabilities of whatever car you have. that way you have a base to learn off of for when you get into a more powerful car.
you cant just jump into a powerful rwd manual car with an lsd, as a 1st car. much less at age 15.

without experience, its hard to understand how the car will handle and youll end up trying to take a corner too fast, the rear will lock and you will skid sideways into a light post.
better have that happen in a cheap beater than your dream car

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
RockPaperSwoRD;1559241 said:
pick up something with a manual transmission- that will keep you busy for a while
learn to rev match downshift/ heel and toe. learn the capabilities of whatever car you have. that way you have a base to learn off of for when you get into a more powerful car.
you cant just jump into a powerful rwd manual car with an lsd, as a 1st car. much less at age 15.

without experience, its hard to understand how the car will handle and youll end up trying to take a corner too fast, the rear will lock and you will skid sideways into a light post.
better have that happen in a cheap beater than your dream car

I second this I'm 18 and don't have much experience driving powerful cars cuz my 1j keeps needing more work. sometimes I get to drive my girlfriends 350z with an lsd and its not like driving other cars at all. if you're not careful it is super easy to come out of a turn sideways

also think of how long you'll be paying for that car. you say you can make monthly payments because you have a job, but what about in 3 years. I assume you'll be going to collage or hopefully at least moving out of your parents house. then you will NEED a really good job since you'll be paying for food, housing, books whatever else. it would be hard to make payments on a car. I bought my mkIII shell for $800 which I had and I make monthly payment(buying parts I want/need) the difference is if I run out of money I can stop those payments. thats the way to go

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm 44 years old, and I have issue with the whole AGE generalization here. IF, you have the maturity, you can do anything you want. My first car (early 80's) was a 67 Mustang with unknown engine mods (the guy told my dad it was all in the mufflers...LOL). I learned to drive it by learning to drift the circle I lived in for 6 months until I turned 16. After that, I always was honest with myself about when I was over my head. It's when that is overlooked that kids get into trouble. I drove the piss out of that car, but only to a point that I knew for sure I could handle it. I constantly searched for places and situations where I knew I'd be safe trying out new maneuvers. These maneuvers were never added to real world situations, until I had mastered them.It worked for me.

Now, many of the other points that have been made in the thread are very valid. At 15, you look at that $209 payment, and know for sure you can make it. It's the insurance, the maintenance, the fuel, the mods you'll want, and others which is unknown. You also don't know where your life will take you before you pay it off. Will you go to college, get married, join the service......you don't quite know for sure yet. You damn sure don't want to ever be stuck at a job you can no longer stand, because you have to be able to pay that payment. I worked from the time I was 12, and I bought that stang with cash, my parents paid the insurance, and it was all I could do to keep the thing going. It was primer grey, very reliable, bad ass, and I could never get it to where I could keep up with my dream (still is a dream actually).

levirolla

May 2, 2008
Winston-Salem
I'm 22 and my Supra is rapes my pockets on a daily basis. Honestly a MK4 turbo would only kill you financially if you start modding it. Drive it like a regular car (LIKE THATS GONNA HAPPEN) and it shouldn't be too bad. But in the end YOU"RE gonna get raped financially, don't do it.

dsuprak

Apr 24, 2010
toronto
yea ive been looking at some acuras and nissans and things liek that and im tihnking of even getting an older celica there alot cheaper and ill get better at driving that way , sometimes i drive my sisters civic but its automatic i want to learn manual but other than that ive got the basics down for sure , thnaks everyone for the advice :)

Racer48

the man on dirt
man i am 16 and i have had my Mk3 since i was 14 and all i was supposed to do was redo the head gasked well it turned into a complete rebuild it takes up most of my time and every penny i can make and i have yet to drive it. Supra are fun and awesome, but they are fast the only reason i got one is because i have experience driving race cares since i was young. i don't recommend getting it as a first car with no driving experience plus working on these things as a first time build at our age kills any kind of personal life out side of the shop. Find a you a good 240sx or mk3 put some base modes and call it a day.