mkIV brakes on MKIII?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
All depends on what you want. There are many other 13" Front options out there. I built / sold a kit for dual piston Cobra 13" brakes that use the same sized rotor as the huge Wilwood setups (and costs about $600 total!)

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I think ABS isn't really needed when you actually know how to drive in incliment/extreme conditions. So that wouldn't bother me but for just 600 to have a much larger setup I think getting the cobra kit is a better choice.
As far as the back setup goes I always wonder how much the inner e-bake system would limit the options for upgrading.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Front MKIV TT brakes have been fitted to the MKIII before. I believe they used the MKIV spindles, which sets the wheels further toward the rear of the car- it looks terrible.

With all the fantastic BBK options out there today, there's no reason to do this. The rears I can understand.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
One post didn't get the point across eh? lol. jsut busting.

Yeah stick with the willwoods. kits already made for ya. Just have the Caliber painted to match the supra MKIV emblem. Makes much MUCH more sense if you ask me. :)

Zer0

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
Suprasonic19;1385597 said:
As far as the back setup goes I always wonder how much the inner e-bake system would limit the options for upgrading.

the mkIV rear's work nice on the back.there like 12.75" rotor's and would most likely work nice with 13" front's.both car's use all the same e-brake hardware.the mkIV e-brake cable arm's for the brakeshoe's are different and easy to swap out(they don't come on new shoe's anyway's)

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
just wanted to point out the mkiv uses 320mm front and 321mm rear rotors. the rears are ~1/2 the width (16mm) of the fronts (30mm).

if i had to get a bbk, in terms of bang for the buck, i'd use the available mounts for the supra fronts, and use ucf20 Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior calipers.

dirt cheap if you know where to look, BIG BIG advantage in unsprung weight (2pc alum.) and a grand loss of 5mm, fronts are 315mm. plus they've been used by the SC and GS guys for years now and can take the abuse. oh, and they're 4 piston calipers with ~same piston area as the JZA80 turbo front calipers.

now if i could find a machinist i'd be tempted to maybe get a certain set of 315mm front rotors with monoblock aluminum calipers (4piston) to work....

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
most 80's/90's abs systems dont. a good driver that knows how to drive in rain/snow with some common sense will be able to outperform them.

any race drivers out there know a technique called threshhold braking, which is what a abs system would do if it were in a perfect world(and i firmly believe as computers get better it will) is modulate pressure and never lock the wheel. current systems lock and release the wheel in the blink of an eye, therefore keeping some control and stopping the car(actually taking more distance than stopping without locking the wheel up).