MKIII Supra Build (Project John Doe)

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
(Project John Doe)

This is my '87 supra that i picked up back in '09. It's my first build so I hope you all enjoy! Feel free to comment! (Criticism, constructive or not, is part of the fun.)

You can also check out my build story here www.qcarcodes.com/joe-born-main
Or even showcase your own, details at www.qcarcodes.com

Here is how my Supra looked right before I bought it. It had been sitting there for a couple years untouched, so it was time to save it ;) (I apologize for the horrible resolution, it was taken from a far and blown up.)

There was a long period of time that I worked on this thing, and didn't take any pictures. I regret that now, but what can you do?? So I did some research and this car originally was an n/a fully loaded with the 4.31 LSD rear end. The car was not original by the time I got my hands on it though. Someone had began swapping in a 7mgte and everything was butchered pretty bad (aside from the fact that it had an r154 with a new clutch.) After getting it running it had a bad rod knock, so it sat for a little while longer till I could get it going!

Finally I purchased a 7mge off of a good buddy of mine, and dropped it in with hopes of finally getting to drive this thing. After working through some electrical problems from sitting (corrosion on fuses in the kick panel and such) the car was running, and road worthy....or so I thought. The 1st/2nd shift fork broke after just a few miles...so back to sitting for a bit till i could line up another r154 without trading an arm and a leg to get it haha.

Okay I promise we're getting to the part with pictures haha, but first...After driving the car for a little over a year, and putting about 10k miles on that used 7mge, devastation struck. I was on my way to work one morning, about a mile from the shop my car bucks violently and starts knocking, and squealing...somehow i limped it up the road and shut it off as i pulled up to the shop where I work. After some contemplation on a 1jz swap...I decided my best option at the moment was to just rebuild the 7mge and have a solid motor, which will serve as my back up motor later...once I finally do a JZ swap.

The day after the motor started knocking, I stayed after work and in 3 hours the motor was out and ready to be disassembled :)

...then I tore it down...

After removing the engine, I was glad to find that I had a later "heavy block" with a 7m crank...good deal. The bad news; however, whoever had the oil pan off last had been tinkering with the oil pump at some point...there is a brass washer with a tab that you're supposed to bend over one of the flats on the bolt that secures the oil feed tube to the pump. Well that tab wasn't bent over (I'm guessing no thread lock on the bolt either) and the bolt backed out causing a loss of oil pressure to the engine internals from the pump. Number 2 rod bearing was toast.... So I sent the block and crank to the local machine shop (the block to be checked, and the crank to be machined). After inspection, they had to bore the block .040 over to remove the taper and scoring from the rings, and deck the top a bit to remove the pitting around the coolant passages. Next step was to order some new pistons and rings, haha here comes the parts fairy!

While everything was still at the machine shop, and all of my rebuild parts were on order...I decided to do some cosmetic work that was long overdue. First thing i did was pop my FR500's back on, with some blue lug nuts that I picked up.

Then I put in an order with KevinM for one of his fantastic rear hatch visors, love it!

Next was the engine bay...this thing was a mess! There were still things from the Frankenstein turbo swap that was in the car when I bought it, bolted to the fender wells. There was dirt and grime everywhere, and the black paint (sprayed on by a previous owner it looked like) was peeling and chipping horribly. So I decided to take action now, while the motor was out of the way.

Got it all masked off and ready...

After a thorough degreasing, a soapy wash, and a good rinse...I was ready to start spraying! Filler primer first, then the black...

I figured while I was at it, I should address the wiper cowl and wiper arms too :)

Well, still waiting for parts and machine work...but still very anxious and motivated to transform this car for the better, I continued making changes. The next area i focused on was the rear. It took some persuasion at first...but finally I decided that the '87 tail lights had to go! So I picked up a set of 89+ tails and a can of VHT Niteshades spray tint, and went to work. My plan was to get a nice ruby color...not too dark, but dark enough that they didn't stand out and say hey I'm red!!

Before...

...and after ;)

After getting them a nice ruby color, and matching them quite nicely to each other...it was time to install them. Now for the fun part haha.

Before...

...During...

...After

Much better!! And to top off the look the two piece vinyl I ordered for the rear window is finished...now to install
(just to state a reason before judgement...I was going for a 90's throwback look, this is how I feel I would have seen one running around when I was a kid)

Before...and the first layer.

Anddd the second layer

It was at this point that I realized that the look still wasn't quite was I was going for, but not because of any error...It was the wing, it just didn't fit anymore. So that only leaves one option....delete!

I liked the look of the smoked tail lights so much, that I decided that I would smoke my front ambers, and all 4 side markers. I also decided to retouch the headlight trim pieces with some black. Then the front bumper...it was lacking the factory lip, so I found one and reconditioned it a bit. It made all the difference in the world as far as the front end goes.

Now this next set of pictures was just something I thought up real quick...Thought it'd be a good last touch for the exterior, well till later of course

This isn't all by any means...stay tuned for the interior, and the motor!

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
1986.5supra_kid;1974698 said:
TWO TONE! FTW me personally like the pre89 tail lights. the sunshade is nice too.

Thanks man!! Yeah, I like the pre 89 tails...They just didn't seem to fit the look I was going for. Yeah I love the look of the mkiii's with a sunshade, a guy on here (KevinM) does a group buy every so often, pretty reasonably priced too!

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
My new pistons and rings came in, so I took the pistons and a complete set of rods (I had an extra to replace the number 2 rod that got scarred up pretty bad) to the machine shop so they could assemble them with the new pins and bushings.

While things were getting wrapped up at the machine shop (which took a lot longer than I had planned, due to their heavy work load and the wait time for parts) I decided to try a new venture..the interior :). Now the car had the dark blue interior factory, but it had some mismatched pieces like the glove box and center console lid...so I wanted to do something new and unique...here's what I came up with!

The door panels before...

Now here's my twist on everything! Lemme know what ya think..

First is the dash. I robbed the old ugly maroon dash out of my donor car haha horrible color, but no cracks! I bought some of duplicolor's vinyl paint, and I went to town. Then I decided that I wanted to make use of those stitches that are molded into quite a few of the interior pieces, so I mixed up some blue artists paints to the hue I wanted...and broke out a fine brush and a steady hand. Here are the results.

Not too shabby right?? Next I decided to do do the center console and lid to match. The same went for the door panels...except for the dark blue center piece, and the carpet at the bottom of the panel. I decided that a grey suede would look nice for some contrast...so on to step 2..and 3...and 4 haha.

Nothing like having something turn out exactly the way you planned, I was quite satisfied. Now the next problem was that I still had dark blue carpet, and seats...and all of the other trim (only counting in the front of the interior for now...the back will come later when everything has to come apart anyways.) So my next step at this point was to (without buying the premolded carpet for now) find some black carpet I could lay down that would work temporarily, and find some seat covers that would match the black and suede...only until I can have the seats recovered of course ;) . So here's the dash, and carpet install...the seat covers i found, and the assembly of the rest of the components.

...and an extra little touch to go with the blue...

That about does it for the interior....for now. I plan to paint all of the back panels black, do the stitching and upholstry, and mount the rear audio to match the front when I pull everything out to do the molded carpet and have the seats recovered :) . Next installment will be the engine, stay tuned!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You already know i like the two-tone, Doc.

Looks good, but i really do think you're car looked good with the oem wing, better than most in fact.

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
1986.5supra_kid;1974720 said:
Awe yeah i like the accented stitching :) whats it take to remove the dash? i need to pull one from a pull a part car sor safe keeping.

Hey thanks! I thought It was a nice touch. Well it's not too harsh just a lot of bolts and harnesses haha. Take everything out, gauge cluster, radio, climate control...then drop the steering column down. Remove the glove box and inner trim panel. Center console needs to come out as well. Then find your bolts and wire looms and disconnect everything!

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
supraguy@aol;1974730 said:
You already know i like the two-tone, Doc.

Looks good, but i really do think you're car looked good with the oem wing, better than most in fact.

Hey thanks!! :) I appreciate the compliment coming from you, your build thread is quite impressive! Yeah the wing looked okay, there was just something about it... I'm glad I'm without now, but I appreciate the feedback for sure! Keep up the good work btw :).

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I like it. Wish i had the time and patience to do what you did to the interior. How does an aftermarket steering wheel work? Do you have to buy a certain "bolt-on" hub with it that specifically fits our cars?

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
7M4EVR;1974812 said:
I like it. Wish i had the time and patience to do what you did to the interior. How does an aftermarket steering wheel work? Do you have to buy a certain "bolt-on" hub with it that specifically fits our cars?

Thanks man, it did take some time...but it was well worth it in the end. If you were closer I'd hook you up! haha. Yeah, that's exactly right...you have to buy a hub that fits the mkiii column, and then just make sure it has the same amount of mounting bolt holes for the wheel, as the wheel you're buying (6 is the most common, but I've also seen 5.) Thanks for the compliments, and taking the time to check out my build! The motor portion is soon to come.

DOHCtorB

Nov 17, 2009
Ohio
I've been rather busy lately, but I'll be getting around to posting up the motor build section as soon as I get some free time!!