MkIII street engine modifications, and readiness to be of assistance.

Hi. Just submitting a post to be part of the Supramaina group. I have helped others on Supras@Supras.com before finding Supramania. I do tend to be a listener rather than a talker, although as stated below, I'm in a position to assist others with problem resolution having been a "car person" for more than 45 years. One useful series of postings I did was a means, easy to do at home, of refinishing 7M camshaft journal caps, which wear due to less than the best top-end oiling design. The rear exhaust caps are the worst offenders, often opening up to .006" clearance, quite a bit for a journal about 1.25" in diameter. If anyone in the Supramania group is interested in this subject, please contact me and I will generate a posting for all in the group.

Unfortunately, work in electronic design consultation keeps me busy to the point where the Supra has taken a back seat to other matters. But from a standpoint of avocation, cars have been a primary factor in my life for over 45 years. My present Supra is a '91, non-Targa 5 speed turbo, bought in June. It came from Houston, purposely bought to avoid rust so prevalent here in New Jersey due to road salt use. I had intended installing a Cometic HG to avoid catastrophic failure, as in a '90 I had. However, after removing the head, evidence appeared that a blown HG had occurred before. For one, #1 piston did not come up to the deck, indicating a bent connecting rod. It may have resulted from hydraulic locking while cranking, if the cylinder was filled with coolant. In any event, I installed a refreshed JDM engine in the car, now built with the following specifications:

550cc ND injectors.
Lexus AFM, stock bypass screw halfway out.
Walbro GSS342 (genuine).
HKS air filter (I have an Apexi here but need to locate it behind the headlight since the end is closed).

57 trim CT26
Treadstone IC with handmade ocyacetylene welded 2-1/4" hardpipes.
Lipp 3" elbow.
Raptor BOV, recirculated to the accordion hose with 1-1/2" connection.
Random Technologies 3" downpipe, high flow single cat, HKS LET-T16 exhaust (80 mm pipe).
Modified stock adjustable FPR (works well). Set to 45 PSI without vacuum. 15 lbs boost at the 3000 pipe (now down to 13 after IC installation, needing to be reset higher).
Ball and spring boost controller, for the present.
Refreshed JDM engine, stock pistons fitted loosely.
Valve bowls cleaned up. Springs shimmed .030". Camshaft caps refinished for .002" to .0025" clearance to journals.
Chrome moly light weight flywheel, stage 1 organic clutch disk.
Cometic 2.2 mm HG (block surfaced twice, head once).
ARP head studs.
Oil pickup moved to rear kickup of pan, supports on both sides with steel strap to #5 main bearing cap (have photos if anyone is interested).
Heli-coiled exhaust manifold stud threads.
Lightly ported exhaust manifold. Head exhaust ports left as is for reversion.
'98 captive urethane engine mounts.
'98 Wheels, 275/40/17 rear tires.
Front spring tower tie bar (from former owner).

I read a number of postings with great interest. For the present, I'm trying to determine how much boost the stock pistons will withstand on a long term basis with a safely rich mixture. Additionally, I get conflicting answers to the amount of boost a 57 trim CT26 will withstand in street use. Performance Techniques who did the modification (non-clipped turbine but bored out wastegate passage) says close to 20 PSI is acceptable for street use. Others say less, for longevity. Opinions would be welcome.

Thanks to all I've benefited from on Supramania, and best wishes for the new year.

BernieK