mkiii rear axles and drive shaft

88MK3.

Ok i am going to have an ls swap in the near future for my 88 mkiii. Now im planing on using a 4L60E for the trans with the LS1. this means a slightly shorter drive shaft. my first question is, is there room to remove the Driveshaft Support Bearings and all that connects them to have a one piece solid drive shaft like i want to run or is the current 2 piece set up strong enough after i have a custom first half of the drive shaft made?

2nd question is the stock rear axles strong enough to handle the torque i have planed and if not dose any one maker performance ones cuz i cant find them.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Isn't the 4l60 an auto?
Anyway, a lot of people swap out the two piece drive shaft for a one piece. That center bearing tends to go bad so they choose to eliminate it.

88MK3.

ok good as far as that, so all and ass i shouldnt have any probs with the drive shaft and rear end. and yes the 4l60 is an auto, thats y i said my drifting style is unique i drift an auto. im working on a hydraulic e brake pedal system and the 4l60 will have a stage 2 shift kit with a ratchet shifter. that combo will give me the capability to perform a move similar to a clutch kick. i can already drift it now but the set up im planing with the ls1 will only make it easier.