MKIII question

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
i'm not to great with finding stuff on forums, but i'm looking at a 1990 N/A supra in a few days, and was wondering if anybody could hit me up with a couple links as what to look for in these cars.. i know a good bit about cars, but not about supras, other than i like them.. about all i can tell from the pics is that the clearcoat is going, which seems pretty typical of a car this old that hasn't been resprayed, no major dings from them either, but i really don't trust pictures, and i'll be looking at it in a few days..

p1185433_1.jpg

these are the pics, it's not great aesthetically, but the car looks pretty clean overall, and i could do most of the work that needs to be done myself... i'm just interested in making sure the car can get me around reliably for a couple years until i can afford to do some work on it and my chevelle..

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
cars looks clean over all, well taken care of.

what to look for
under and inside the car for RUST!

if your not planning on a build, atleased find out if the HG was replaced. ie., where, when what kind(brand) of parts.

leaks of course. front main seal, rear main seal, lsd, steering rack.

how much is the seller asking for?

ed.d.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MK3.0dudeman;1185872 said:
what wing is that??It's not stock but it's a stockish looking wing

It's certainly not stock. A 90 would have the molded 3 piece as opposed to the raised one piece style like that one.

It's certainly not a stock 86/87 wing either, definitely aftermarket. It's also a little narrow, and I doubt it's a wing intended for a Supra.

It might be an aftermarket wing for a late model Mustang:

Ford_Mustang_05-up.jpg

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Supracentral;1185832 said:
Fixed that for ya - that's Arlene Lanman, very oldschool Supra owner. She's one smart lady.

Here's the original: http://www.supracentral.com/albuy.html

Yeah i read both realizing that they were both related, good stuff though, pretty much wrote myself out a bunch of key things to look for from it, along with a couple of alternate methods of checking out the head gasket, clutch and stuff, my dad actually suggested what i think would be a better method for checking the HG, simply making sure the guy hasn't warmed up the car or anything, and looking for water condensation on the underside of the cap, as the cold air outside would reduce pressure inside there and cause condensation if there is water in the system (water indicating the blown gasket)... dunno if i got that right, but from the core chem classes they force feed me i think i got the gist... lol (don't try this if the engine's been running as there will be oil in its place if the problem is occurring)

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
IMHO...$3200.00 is just too much to pay for ANY MkIII NA! But if you have to have it, check the coolant overflow bottle for oil residue. Sometimes the bhg's are very slight, and this might be your only sign. That is, untill the weather warms up!:biglaugh:

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Well, bought the car for 3000, ended up spending 300 for a new starter, which somehow decided to die the day i took the car home, (i should've noticed it before, it was weak, but i attributed it to the battery), either way, the car runs like a swiss watch, especially after i put some seafoam through the tank, couldn't believe how clean it was underneath, apparently kept in the garage all winter every winter and spent the majority of it's life in Oklahoma or something.. either way, it turned out clean as hell and i went with it.. the paint's bad, but i can take care of it, i wanna run some stuff through the vacuum lines and all, but mainly i now have to deal with waiting until spring break when i can see the car again, didn't get too many photos, but i can post them if somebody really wants to see, it doesn't look too much different than the link, other than i'm a little bit better at hiding the paint when i tried, and i made it blaringly obvious in a couple others.. the thing is a blast to drive though, need to get rid of the stock exhaust, sounds like a beehive in contrast to the engine note..

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
eh.. we all have our opinions i suppose, but i didn't run the stuff through my vacuum lines yet, which is the process the post suggests, there was no white smoke when i did mine in the fuel.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Seafoam is nothing more than snake oil. :nono: It's not really a matter of opinion, but fact that people refuse to believe.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
jeez, wasn't tryin to argue with everybody, but if so i think you're making a pretty big deal about a 10 dollar investment that seems pretty logical when engines run better clean and lubed. also, i don't usually take everything people have to say for granted, i've been bred into engines as much as the next guy, and it sounded a tad better after i did it.. might've been because the engine was clear from being run earlier, it'd been a few months since it was run good, but either way, i can't really test the correlation right now, and i doubt it hurt anything other than my wallet.. but considering half a tank cost me all of 10 bucks.. who cares?!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
thedcorvette;1192935 said:
jeez, wasn't tryin to argue with everybody, but if so i think you're making a pretty big deal about a 10 dollar investment that seems pretty logical when engines run better clean and lubed. also, i don't usually take everything people have to say for granted, i've been bred into engines as much as the next guy, and it sounded a tad better after i did it.. might've been because the engine was clear from being run earlier, it'd been a few months since it was run good, but either way, i can't really test the correlation right now, and i doubt it hurt anything other than my wallet.. but considering half a tank cost me all of 10 bucks.. who cares?!

It's fine that you know you are wasting your own $10. However, have you ever recommended seafoam to anyone? If so, you just wasted their $10 because they trusted you and you gave them misinformation. This is the biggest problem with people today. A lot of them talk about stuff they really shouldn't. If you don't know, don't give advice.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
thedcorvette;1192935 said:
and i doubt it hurt anything other than my wallet, o2 sensor(s), and catalytic converter.. but considering half a tank cost me all of 10 bucks.. who cares?!

Fixed that for you. :)

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Sawbladz;1192956 said:
It's fine that you know you are wasting your own $10. However, have you ever recommended seafoam to anyone? If so, you just wasted their $10 because they trusted you and you gave them misinformation. This is the biggest problem with people today. A lot of them talk about stuff they really shouldn't. If you don't know, don't give advice.

ha. The biggest problem with people today is that they take everything people say for granted and don't look into it.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
shaeff;1192965 said:
Fixed that for you. :)

only through the vacuum lines or oil... and it takes multiple uses at intervals less than 15k miles. also, my cat is prb dead already, and i'd bet the o2 needs a replacement too, so nbd if i am wrong and my fuel injectors are still dirty, but my idle was noticeably smoother.