MKIII full resto and 2JZGTE swap

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
So I'm at a bit of a stand still right now waiting to find some rear quarter panels. If any of you guys have or know of a good set that can be had please let me know. thanks

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mkiii quarter panels don't exist. Occasionally you can find a shell to cut them from, but i have looked for 6 years and can't find any mine were hand built. Usually it's also the outer wheel well being perforated that has to also be repaired. Mine cost a fortune to repair.

Sadly there are no patch panels available, Toyota never sold the toolings for our car so they have never been cheaply produced.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah I've tried that route. The 92 I had a few years ago had the rear quarter replaced. I was told by the original owner the last two panels were ordered from Japan and used on that car. And yes, it cost him a fortune too. I had all the original recipts for the work and it was well over $7000.

Anyway. What I'm looking for really is a quarter panel cut complete with the wheel house inners.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The only places I have seen them is Arizona and Texas... Haven't seen antsy quarters for sale in probably 3 years now. I gave up... But I would pay up to 2k for a clean rear cut if it existed... Lol.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

We sometimes forget how very few of our cars were made.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
I actually found a web site that searches auto wreckers across the US and Canada. It generates a list of places to get them. www.car-parts.com

I phoned a few of the places on the list and most of them had cars in their inventory to pull from. I'll probably go that route.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Well in a couple of years I'm planning on making a set of dies to stamp out quarter panel patches.. not the whole quarter, just above the wheel well.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TMMCSupra;2010952 said:
I actually found a web site that searches auto wreckers across the US and Canada. It generates a list of places to get them. www.car-parts.com

I phoned a few of the places on the list and most of them had cars in their inventory to pull from. I'll probably go that route.

I would make sure you get a lot of pictures of the panels before you pay them for the parts. Just to make sure they are up to your standards.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Supras are starting to get to that needs restore point like the S30s did 10 years ago but if there's anything i've learned you can always patch rust spots by hand with a lot of time and effort.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Yup. And I can't believe there's no aftermarket support for panels like this. No love for the mkiii I guess?

Backlash; I had planned to have some molds made from a friend of mine who do that for a living. He has a 3D scanner and the plan was to make some wide body panels out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. After thinking about that I decided to keep the stock look of the car. Now with it being so difficult to find these quarter panels, I might just revisit the idea.

hilux30

Mar 4, 2014
GTA
Toyota MoCo should fund your resto considering the effort you're putting in.. . have you considered stitch welding/structural foam? worked wonders to couple of older cars I had in the past..

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I hadn't quarters done twice. Once to fix the rust and once to fix the work the guy did to fix the rust...

My body guy said that they are almost impossible to redo like stock because of the flat lip and the curve into the quarter. He got it very close...

After all the years of work, in hindsight, I should have just tore the car down and did it all... But I bought a rust free (didn't recognize how poorly the original body work was done or all the hidden rust) Mk3 with a rebuilt 7mgte (rebuilt poorly). Been a long road, but everything is now done properly and the only drivetrain peice that isn't new is the diff.

Questioned my wisdom in doing it, but I do love the car.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
hilux30;2012295 said:
Toyota MoCo should fund your resto considering the effort you're putting in.. . have you considered stitch welding/structural foam? worked wonders to couple of older cars I had in the past..

I wish they would since I work for them. To bad corolla parts don't fit on the Supra.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Finally found a sutable doner car!!! Updates coming soon!

I'm excited to get back on track. You don't know how hard it is to find a solid MKiii in Ontario, Canada. damn salt.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats what i was afraid of,

Loctite makes some killer spray for removing silicone on oil pans and such on mercedes. I might try and spray some of that in there and let it does it work.