MKIII full resto and 2JZGTE swap

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could media blast it.

I'll proly just try to soften it and then chisel it off tho. Less work and transporting a bare chassis around.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
hvyman;2016646 said:
Thats what i was afraid of,

Loctite makes some killer spray for removing silicone on oil pans and such on mercedes. I might try and spray some of that in there and let it does it work.

I might give that stuff a try. Do you know who carries it? or is it something you have to buy from the Mercedes dealer?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
To get off undercoating without a ton of hassle, a wire wheel attachment for an angle grinder (as opposed to a normal drill) works well.
The other way which potentially makes less of a mess is a heat gun and chisel but it takes longer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
miekedmr;2016990 said:
To get off undercoating without a ton of hassle, a wire wheel attachment for an angle grinder (as opposed to a normal drill) works well.
The other way which potentially makes less of a mess is a heat gun and chisel but it takes longer.

The only issue with that is pieces of the wire wheel flying everywhere. Not hating on wire wheels just with using one for that much under coating.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
So... maybe a dumb question but what is the merrit in removing the under coating from our cars other than obviously looking >9000% better?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Undercoating is a curse and blessing....
In wheel wells... Undercoating is perforated by small rocks which leads to rust holes and eventually the destruction of the wheel well. You won't know it by peeking. Underneath it can hide rust and fractures.

It's intended to be maintained but few do.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Grandavi;2017855 said:
Undercoating is a curse and blessing....
In wheel wells... Undercoating is perforated by small rocks which leads to rust holes and eventually the destruction of the wheel well. You won't know it by peeking. Underneath it can hide rust and fractures.

It's intended to be maintained but few do.

Case in point..... my car. looked perfectly fine when I bought the car. Things tend to reveal themselves the more you dig.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The key to undercoating is doing it right and checking it yearly. If applied on a spotless clean area thick enough to absorb impacts it is fine. But on high impact areas, you need to check for perforations. It's not simply a "do it" and forget it situation.
I wouldn't do it on a new car except on areas rocks hit because chipping can help remove the zinc.

On ours mk3s, due to age, it's a good idea providing you make sure not to cover any water drainage holes or rust areas (which could grow without you watching.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Grandavi;2017888 said:
On a different point... that's really neat to see a cutaway of the car like that...

I thought so too. I see them all day long at work (Toyota in Cambridge) but those are corollas, not Supra's. I can just imagine how amazing it would have been to work at the plant building the Supra.