MKII or MKIII???????????????????

maximous

MK3 STUDENT
Mar 30, 2008
hendersonville
I have my 85 supra that is from jersey and full of rust so i found a 87mkiii 7mgte all good just put it back on the road (delayed still driving 85 aka:rusty) so now a friend of mine offers a 85.5 supra auto for dang near nothing and from here(nc) hardly any rust. So my question is which one do i keep?????????? there are so many pros and cons for all three and cant afford but one due to my baby girl and other pricy stuff life threw at me please help me decide, any input would be great! Thanks in advance

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
7mgte...only if it runs good and in great condition.

edit: get both mkIIs and sell them both and keep the 7mgte

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
MKIII's do not rust like the MKII's did. I've seen some rust in MKIII's, but nothing like the rust bucket most MKII's are. Also, the rear ends in the MKIII are much stouter. I'd go MKIII, but MKII is still a nice car if in good shape.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
maximous;1220443 said:
I have my 85 supra that is from jersey and full of rust so i found a 87mkiii 7mgte all good just put it back on the road (delayed still driving 85 aka:rusty) so now a friend of mine offers a 85.5 supra auto for dang near nothing and from here(nc) hardly any rust. So my question is which one do i keep?????????? there are so many pros and cons for all three and cant afford but one due to my baby girl and other pricy stuff life threw at me please help me decide, any input would be great! Thanks in advance

I was not aware of an 85.5,do you mean 86.5? Personally I have found the 5M to be a more reliable engine,and the MK2's to be a really fun car.But on the other hand,all 5 of my MK2's rusted out to the point that they were unsafe to drive.If your MK2 is that rusty,might just be time to let it go.If your MK3 runs good I would just stick with it.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
If the mk2 being offered is in GOOD shape, yes, get it. Use the rusty mk2 is a parts car then junk it. The mk3 could be used as a parts/swap car or just sell it and profit. The 5M will probably be slightly more reliable, but yes, you DO need to worry about rust. If you daily drive it in the snow and salt it has to be washed DAILY and thoroughly.

It really comes down to what you want to do in the future with it, what is possible to do with it and waht isn't. Just use it as a daily beater or what, turbo mods or no, etc etc.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i would keep whatever has minimal rust and is in decent running order. otherwise you'll find yourself spending a lot of time and money getting the car in good working order
-pete

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
maximous;1220443 said:

Punctuation and sentence structure would be awesome. MKIII's come with that stock, though.

bluezone

Jul 15, 2008
ont.
take the mk2 and swap every thing mk3 into it. engine, diff, trans, a-arms and sub frames. always wanted to see this happen. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rust depends on where you live, not the type of car. There are plenty of rust free examples.

MKII looks really nice when in good shape. Picture this with a 7MGTE and a mild 350 rwhp. It would fly.

P1030592.JPG

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Nick M;1220635 said:
Rust depends on where you live, not the type of car. There are plenty of rust free examples.

MKII looks really nice when in good shape. Picture this with a 7MGTE and a mild 350 rwhp. It would fly.

P1030592.JPG

Oh, you mean like this?

p1220646_1.jpg

The owner of celicasupra.com, that is his car. VERY clean 7MGTE swapped car, I think around 320rwhp or so. Most of the mk2s with 7MGTEs have 300-400whp and they are actually getting pretty common now.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
like mentioned here, and over on cs.com

drop the 7mgte into the clean mk2, part the rusty mk2 and the shell of the mk3 to get the neccesary parts to do the swap, and have the best of both worlds.

god malloys car is freakin sexy.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Mk2s are sweet espcially the 85 the double wing is tight. I would just get rid of everything but yank out the 7m-gte and find another rust free 85. Another option I would say is don't buy anything get rid of the 85 and build up the Mk3.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Tanya;1220646 said:
Oh, you mean like this?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/MkIIMike/SDR/IMG_5535v2.jpg[img]

The owner of celicasupra.com, that is his car. VERY clean 7MGTE swapped car, I think around 320rwhp or so. Most of the mk2s with 7MGTEs have 300-400whp and they are actually getting pretty common now.[/QUOTE]

Yep. But I prefer the stock wheels. I took the picture at SILV 06. His interior was also clean. The owner of which car, the one you posted, or the one I posted?