MK4 supension usable at all for MK3?

Jesse

Feb 17, 2009
Augusta, GA
so there are some stock mk4 ge springs and shocks for cheap available to me. can i use them at all, will any of it bolt up? i see that all the mounting point on the mk3's are the same design but that the mk4's have tabs for what i'm assuming are the backing plates in the front. can i use the rears on my car at least and would i be able to frankenstien up something with the fronts?

aaron_arthur

Jul 30, 2008
London
I belive the front struts are the same on the mk4 as they are on the mk3 but the rears are different.
the fronts are good to use but not the rears

Aaron

Jesse

Feb 17, 2009
Augusta, GA
thank you for the responses, i have found out that the fronts are ok (they are in way better condition than my old stuff i'm sure) but as for the rears would it beneficial at all to use the springs? can i use the springs? can't find stock spring rates

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Jesse;1411016 said:
thank you for the responses, i have found out that the fronts are ok (they are in way better condition than my old stuff i'm sure) but as for the rears would it beneficial at all to use the springs? can i use the springs? can't find stock spring rates

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75269

It's a sticky in this section....but here's the info you might need:

* Stock MKIII Pre-89
* Front: 390 lb/in
* Rear: 180 lb/in
* Drop: It's higher than the Stock MKIII 89+
* Type: Linear

* Stock MKIII 89+
* Front: 461 lb/in
* Rear: 215 lb/in
* Drop: 0

* Stock MKIV
* Front: 430 lb/in
* Rear: 219 lb/in
* Drop: 0
* Notes: Only the front MKIV Springs will fit our cars.

IMO, you're better off buying other lowering springs/coilovers...

Jesse

Feb 17, 2009
Augusta, GA
so the front will be softer slightly. thank you for that. we'll see haw little this guy'll take. i think he just wants to get rid of them.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Ma70.Ent;1411024 said:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75269

It's a sticky in this section....but here's the info you might need:

* Stock MKIII Pre-89
* Front: 390 lb/in

The front spring rates are the same for all years (461lb/in) for a given model (NA/Turbo have different part numbers, but the springs are essentially identical). Only the rears became ~16% stiffer in 1989.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
ma71supraturbo;1411207 said:
The front spring rates are the same for all years (461lb/in) for a given model (NA/Turbo have different part numbers, but the springs are essentially identical). Only the rears became ~16% stiffer in 1989.

Oh okay, nice. Good find :)

Poodles;1411214 said:
Surpised nobody has said that valving is going to be off as well...

Yeah, I forgot, but it's not like the MK4/MK3 are that far off in weight/etc., but either way, it'll still be off.