MK4 rear brakes installed!

kysupra

I'm Single
Apr 25, 2005
Lexington, KY
interested in hearing more about the rear swap as im going to a 14" kit in the front. Cass if you would can you give a more detailed on what was done to swap the rears and where was a good place to source them?

CassMori

Boost Addict
kysupra said:
interested in hearing more about the rear swap as im going to a 14" kit in the front. Cass if you would can you give a more detailed on what was done to swap the rears and where was a good place to source them?
I followed Dr.J's guide , the only difference was that the MK4 lines I got with my calipers were too short. The hoses that came with my LS430 front calipers were the same type, but about 2" longer, so I used those.
For the rotors, I got eBay specials, full set front & rear. Got the calipers from a forum member (on SF, don't know if he's on here or not), redlex15. I just posted a WTB in the MK4 parts wanted section on SF, you could probably check some of the MK4 specific sites, too. Or buy a set from Toyota ;)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
When I looked at the MK4 rear brake conversion, I realized that to do it right, you have to machine the new bolt holes closer to the centerline of the hub to get the calipers as close to the new larger rotors as possible. (See how your pads are hanging over the edges of the rotor?)

There were two ways to do this.
1) remove the knuckle and have it machined.
2) Use a carbide bit and "Machine" it by hand since it was going to be bolted up anway.

In the final analysis, I decided to go with a custom front and rear brake setup that was balanced on paper, and has in the real world turned out to be perfectly biased front to back. (But I'd never do business with PB again due to the delays, poor customer service and fact that my expensive brakes have had a pulse since new, and the rotors were not balanced, and now I have a vibration at speeds over 60mph that was not there before the brake swap.)

When you spend nearly 4000.00 on brakes, you should not have to then take the rotors out and have them turned and high speed balanced to get them right. Also the lines should not SUCK and have none of the factory type retainers.

CassMori

Boost Addict
Stretch said:
Dr. J's guide doesn't work for me, is it still online? I want it.
eric

it appears that his website has been restructured slightly - the address is now http://www.4cefed.com/mkivbrakes.html

Adjuster said:
When I looked at the MK4 rear brake conversion, I realized that to do it right, you have to machine the new bolt holes closer to the centerline of the hub to get the calipers as close to the new larger rotors as possible. (See how your pads are hanging over the edges of the rotor?)

There were two ways to do this.
1) remove the knuckle and have it machined.
2) Use a carbide bit and "Machine" it by hand since it was going to be bolted up anway.

there were also some offset plugs made once upon a time (no longer available when I checked), that went in the holes of the MK4 calipers. These allowed the use of the MK3 bolts, and were supposed to offset the calipers so they would align properly to the rotor. The same guy (don't remember right off who, atm) also made flat shims that would space the rotor properly - they went underneath the rotor, and when the rotor was tightened down, they were bent into proper shape. I used to have pics, but I had a HD crash a few months ago, and now all my old Supra related pics are gone :(

Last edited:

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
encomiast said:
are you going to drive around with MKIV brakes in the rear and stock MKIII brakes in the front until you get the front brakes done?
I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to do because the brake balance will probably change quite a bit, which may negatively affect braking performance (ABS engaging too soon because of the rear wheels losing traction before the front wheels do). I might be wrong, though.

It doesn't bother the bias as much as you think it does. From personal driving, and hard braking, the MKIV TT Rears do a good job with my extra wide tires.

CassMori

Boost Addict
Adjuster said:
I actually think the stock bias is too forward in that the front brakes would lock up and ABS activate long before the rear.

this is true, even with the MK4 rears installed, and crappy old-ass fronts (that came on the car when I bought it), I still managed to lock the front up once in a hard stop in traffic, but not the rears.