MK4 / MKIV automatic transmission on MK3 / MKIII ?

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Anyone tried putting an automatic transmission from a MK4 into a MK3 with a 7MGTE?

Can it be done? How?

I'd like to get electronic line pressure control. (I believe that the MK4 has electronic line pressure)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Use an aristo valve body in your 340 much easier ;)

more13.jpg

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Yes I know. The only problem is the splash lubrication due to the oil line delete (which might not be a real problem). I thought it might be better to try to use the entire gearbox. Might also be easier to get a complete upgraded MKIV gearbox.

What broke your gearbox? Do you have any idea?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Dunno I "suspect" it was overtightened when it was being tested after the rebuild, there's an o-ring in there and spec is only 22ft/lbs so no way should it crack like that :(

Haven't noticed an issue from deleting the oil feed lines to the extension housing as it's always full of Oil, I'll post up what condition it's in when I dismantle it all.

Only drama in using the Mk4 auto would be getting the correct Tq convertor for the trans as the spline count is different, Speedo drive, a Controller to run it and I'm not sure if the Mk4 uses a normal slip yoke or not.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
what's the benefit of using say an aristo valve body?
I ordered the shift kit for my auto from MV automatics and they sent me one from a jza80 instead but it's in and working (with a bit of modifying). So is it better than the MA70 one?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
MA70_Powa;1466852 said:
what's the benefit of using say an aristo valve body?
I ordered the shift kit for my auto from MV automatics and they sent me one from a jza80 instead but it's in and working (with a bit of modifying). So is it better than the MA70 one?

If you use the right controller you don't need a shift kit as it's all done by the valves :)

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
IJ.;1466731 said:
Dunno I "suspect" it was overtightened when it was being tested after the rebuild, there's an o-ring in there and spec is only 22ft/lbs so no way should it crack like that :(

Haven't noticed an issue from deleting the oil feed lines to the extension housing as it's always full of Oil, I'll post up what condition it's in when I dismantle it all.

Only drama in using the Mk4 auto would be getting the correct Tq convertor for the trans as the spline count is different, Speedo drive, a Controller to run it and I'm not sure if the Mk4 uses a normal slip yoke or not.

Don't know how the olie lines work but is there no way that the oil lines to the extension housing could be maintained with an Aristo valve body?

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
IJ.;1467057 said:
If you use the right controller you don't need a shift kit as it's all done by the valves :)

Well I don't have a trans controller now do I :p
So it's no better? Meh, doesn't really matter anyway. It works fine and thats all that really matters