Mk3 vs Integra Type R.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
actually, thats pretty sick. I could never find myself owning a civic, let alone a hatch. I would consider this guy a "tuner" unlike Frator. He ruined it with the efficiency factor.
gp-7mgte said:
i dont remember if he did a six speed with the swap, i am also dont remeber what head and bottom end combo he used (k20 head/k24 bottom end) but i do know that it had some head work. i am sure a straight swap would yield high to mid 13's in a eg. but i didnt take that race to seriously i knew what he had so i knew i was going to lose i just wanted a measuring stick. i had fun that night because that night i raped like half dozen other civics/integras with gsr B16 swaps so i didnt feel to bad but it just brought me back down to earth. he also put a rsx gauge cluster in it which looked pretty cool.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
tturnpaw said:
actually, thats pretty sick. I could never find myself owning a civic, let alone a hatch. I would consider this guy a "tuner" unlike Frator. He ruined it with the efficiency factor.
Nice try, that wasn't frator, that was starscream.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Kinda a different thing.. but I was in the auto shop the other day that my friend works at, and someone came in wanting to order RSX type s axles. The price for them was $1,000 each. I just that, that was nuts.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
BorHor said:
Kinda a different thing.. but I was in the auto shop the other day that my friend works at, and someone came in wanting to order RSX type s axles. The price for them was $1,000 each. I just that, that was nuts.

A grand for one CV axle? GTFO?! Are you sure they weren't some sort of aftermarket "stage 5" type axles?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
The last motor i looked at for a friend was around 2800 including harness and ecu. Also Frator quoted efficiencies. Have you been reading my posts?

Frator

Jan 24, 2007
Lynchburg
to tturnpaw you took what i meant about efficiency the wrong way. Turbos are very efficient and everyone on this board knows it better than most. I was simply referring to the track ability with the high oil temps that turbos create. And before i get flamed for that statement too i agree completely that turbos cars can be good track cars i mean look at Porsche and Ferrari. Anyways the K series is the best thing to come out of Honda. Best 4cylinder ever produced to date IMO. The B series is no slouch either. But i still stand to my point that Honda;s were not built for the strip. They are and always will be track cars. That is what Honda intended them to be. Well balanced good handling cars with a reliable high revving n/a motor, and damn if they didn't capitalize on it. But of course when you throw a K into a gutted hatch its going to be fast as shit whether it be in a straight or on the track. What do you consider a "tuner" anyways. So people who go build and tune there 1jz swaps are they tuner? or is this just some other derogatory term for honda guys. Most of the stuff i said in my earlier posts was due to frustration and the lack of respect for Honda. But i also realize this is a biased forum full of Toyota owner. I really shouldn't have expected any less. I respect the supra's they can put down an ass load of power and kick any honda's ass in a straight thats for sure. I not really a big fan of the way they look but i sure as hell don't mess with ret. I know my place.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
As I said before I have owned a few honda's so I am not here to bash, but aren't honda's made for commuting, not for the track? I know they can be made into track beasts because they are so light, but I find it hard to believe that from the get go honda built their cars for track use. If you like honda, good for you, you need to stick with what you like, but we are on a supra forum for a reason.....

Jon

ps and if you are one of the very few honda owners who build a clean car, I commend you because all of the ricers made me hate owning a honda. There are just not enough well done hondas around for people to give them respect, when the majority of people throw on a muffler and think they have a race car.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
my thread became ultimate honda flame war thread. lol.

Saturday my bro was in the back seat on my supra with the laptop as I was driving around and a ford echo or something, forgot what they are called passed and the exhaust was SO rice it actually HURT my ears... SO loud.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
jam4484 said:
As I said before I have owned a few honda's so I am not here to bash, but aren't honda's made for commuting, not for the track? I know they can be made into track beasts because they are so light, but I find it hard to believe that from the get go honda built their cars for track use. If you like honda, good for you, you need to stick with what you like, but we are on a supra forum for a reason.....

Jon

ps and if you are one of the very few honda owners who build a clean car, I commend you because all of the ricers made me hate owning a honda. There are just not enough well done hondas around for people to give them respect, when the majority of people throw on a muffler and think they have a race car.
We're not saying every car honda builds is for the track, but cars like the NSX-R, s2000, and Integra Type R are definitely built with road racing in the back of the engineer's minds. They went as far as to shave weight by making a thinner windshield, and going with mesh shift boots.

I'm also sure it's no coincidence that all these new engines can easily be swapped into older, lighter civics.

TealMetallicDream

Team Dragst@ Member
Jan 3, 2006
Detroit
JoeC said:
my thread became ultimate honda flame war thread. lol.

Saturday my bro was in the back seat on my supra with the laptop as I was driving around and a ford echo or something, forgot what they are called passed and the exhaust was SO rice it actually HURT my ears... SO loud.
"It aint a Tyte Car, if it aint a Type R" lmao

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
have you even owned a boosted car? Even diesels with 22:1 compression ratio can run 30-40psi on a turbo all day long and never overheat. If youre pushing your motor of course its going to get hot, but tell me when will any car not get warm. And please, name a boosted ferarri. I consider anyone who doesnt say an n/a is more efficient than a turbo to be a "tuner" This was a reasonable debate until you mentioned that. No my friend who k-proed his rsx with a jr sc (jackson racing) and running race fuel at the track a "tuner" his car doesnt have fancy ass chrome or a fart can. Not saying that you do, but thats one example. Most supra owners are tuners, so i dont complain. The reasoning for that is, you never see one or hear about one with a nasty ass sounding fart can on it. Or how about how one tried to race you and lost and it happens once a week at least. Or how about they complain about scraping over speed bumps over anything else to talk about. Or when all you hear about when you listen to a bunch of honda guys talk is about b heads on other b motors, and type r internals and shit instead of, oh ya hes running 400whp like i hear all the time. Reliable power is nice, and ill stick to it. (oh ya and im selling my talon haha)
Frator said:
to tturnpaw you took what i meant about efficiency the wrong way. Turbos are very efficient and everyone on this board knows it better than most. I was simply referring to the track ability with the high oil temps that turbos create. And before i get flamed for that statement too i agree completely that turbos cars can be good track cars i mean look at Porsche and Ferrari. Anyways the K series is the best thing to come out of Honda. Best 4cylinder ever produced to date IMO. The B series is no slouch either. But i still stand to my point that Honda;s were not built for the strip. They are and always will be track cars. That is what Honda intended them to be. Well balanced good handling cars with a reliable high revving n/a motor, and damn if they didn't capitalize on it. But of course when you throw a K into a gutted hatch its going to be fast as shit whether it be in a straight or on the track. What do you consider a "tuner" anyways. So people who go build and tune there 1jz swaps are they tuner? or is this just some other derogatory term for honda guys. Most of the stuff i said in my earlier posts was due to frustration and the lack of respect for Honda. But i also realize this is a biased forum full of Toyota owner. I really shouldn't have expected any less. I respect the supra's they can put down an ass load of power and kick any honda's ass in a straight thats for sure. I not really a big fan of the way they look but i sure as hell don't mess with ret. I know my place.

Imprezademics

Life Is Good!
Mar 16, 2007
The First State
Nice kill man. I remember being in a similar situation when i had my 91 Turbo racing against a Civic Si like 4-5 years ago. Dont you love how they try and sneak up on you. Lol! I love to play catch up though.

Willie

Frator

Jan 24, 2007
Lynchburg
tturnpaw said:
have you even owned a boosted car? Even diesels with 22:1 compression ratio can run 30-40psi on a turbo all day long and never overheat. If youre pushing your motor of course its going to get hot, but tell me when will any car not get warm. And please, name a boosted ferarri. I consider anyone who doesnt say an n/a is more efficient than a turbo to be a "tuner" This was a reasonable debate until you mentioned that. No my friend who k-proed his rsx with a jr sc (jackson racing) and running race fuel at the track a "tuner" his car doesnt have fancy ass chrome or a fart can. Not saying that you do, but thats one example. Most supra owners are tuners, so i dont complain. The reasoning for that is, you never see one or hear about one with a nasty ass sounding fart can on it. Or how about how one tried to race you and lost and it happens once a week at least. Or how about they complain about scraping over speed bumps over anything else to talk about. Or when all you hear about when you listen to a bunch of honda guys talk is about b heads on other b motors, and type r internals and shit instead of, oh ya hes running 400whp like i hear all the time. Reliable power is nice, and ill stick to it. (oh ya and im selling my talon haha)

so your saying that you could run your supra for hours on the track without overheating, or loosing power from the oil being so hot from those turbos. I don't know why you insist on being a sarcastic ass about this. I tried to apologize for the things i incorrectly stated but if you want to be a prick go for it man. Its your call. Id like to see you supra last through an endurance race cause i know my Honda can. Granted i know your car could kick my ass in a line, but it wouldn't last on the track. Which just further proves my point. Anyways to the rest of you on this board im sorry if this offended you but this guy is an ass. And WTF does a diesel have to do with this conversation/debate.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
tturnpaw said:
why would you spend that much for a jdm motor with like what 5 or 10 extra hp over the usdm? here 4300 for 30secs of search time. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACUR...098QQitemZ220093400455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Right, because since I have a supra I'm obviously going to be searching for Honda engines. Thanks for saving me $1700 man, I really appreciate it.

Regarding your diesel comment, I know the engines are built for high compression, but 40 PSI on top of that is BS. Furthermore, I don't know if you realized this, but supras aren't diesel! Shocking, I know, but hey, whatcha gunna do?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Well dont say they cost 6k then without backing by research. Im kind of irritated i have to do this alone. The only reason i stated a diesel was for overheating turbo facts. Sure diesels are a completely different design. Have you had one apart to look at the coolant passages? SAME as a gas engine. So they truly are compareable other than the way they fire. Diesels do run off of heat, but that has nothing to do with cooling. In fact, its even amazing they cool as well as they do with such high stress. Also, look it up if youre going to argue...i do know for a fact powerstrokes run 32-38psi. Chevs are in the 30s, and Cummins are around 28-35psi. Once again, look it up. Im really getting tired of having to explain every damn thing, you should at least get a feel for what im getting at. Oh and by the way, so you dont call b/s on me...it was a 97 chev diesel engine i worked on, the same one i have a turbo laying around im considering putting on my 7m. But again, if youre going to argue, at least know what your talking about (especially k20s cause im not even a honda guy)
ret said:
Right, because since I have a supra I'm obviously going to be searching for Honda engines. Thanks for saving me $1700 man, I really appreciate it.

Regarding your diesel comment, I know the engines are built for high compression, but 40 PSI on top of that is BS. Furthermore, I don't know if you realized this, but supras aren't diesel! Shocking, I know, but hey, whatcha gunna do?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Oil cooler my friend. You upgrade it, you lose most issues. The only time my car EVER overheated, was due to a bhg, and a very bad one at that. STOCK cooling system. Well, i guess if you knew how i drive you would know if it overheats or not. So go off of experience, which you obviously dont have. I own 2 boosted cars at this moment, you wanna know which one has the oil temp issues? The 302 in my mustang. Im not being a sarcastic ass, i dont see the point if youre going to argue if you have nothing to back it. Im not going to get into track handling, thats more driver than anything. RWD is also better than FWD for cornering, dont forget that. And once again about diesels, they are streetable, and have the most stress a street vehicle will ever have, it was an example towards your "heat" issue. Compare the coolant passages, the routing, the stress, heat, etc. and get back to me about turbochargers.

Frator said:
so your saying that you could run your supra for hours on the track without overheating, or loosing power from the oil being so hot from those turbos. I don't know why you insist on being a sarcastic ass about this. I tried to apologize for the things i incorrectly stated but if you want to be a prick go for it man. Its your call. Id like to see you supra last through an endurance race cause i know my Honda can. Granted i know your car could kick my ass in a line, but it wouldn't last on the track. Which just further proves my point. Anyways to the rest of you on this board im sorry if this offended you but this guy is an ass. And WTF does a diesel have to do with this conversation/debate.

Frator

Jan 24, 2007
Lynchburg
in response to the oil temps i was referring to stock v stock. With enough money you can make anything run properly. I don't recall ever saying fwd was better than rwd. RWD is better in corners and better for drag. RWD is prolly the best for everything except maybe snow in rain in some cases. But it is a drivers preference. Im guessing you haven't driven an ITR or an S2000. I have driven both and as great as the s2k is id still take an ITR over it any day. As far as turbos go i know exactly how they work and how they are set up. I also know the large amount of heat they produce. I don't even know why you said that because im sure you have some knowledge of N/A set ups.