mk3 vibration

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
Hey guys just rebuilt my r154 and after i put it in i put different rims and had the tires balenced and the when i get up to 65 or faster the whole car shakes like hell and the steering wheel goes all wacky. So i went a changed the unis and checked the rearend and changed some parts there and still dose it. Hope u guess can help

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
wheel bearing i bet. when its making the noise turn a little in both directions, if it stops for that second or 2 then its the wheel bearing. you can jack up the car and feel for wheel play. my right front was out when i got the car...i didnt notice it at first, just wrote it off as road noise through the suspension...but when i would turn right it would go away for a split second.

replacing the bearing was a bitch and a half, youll be better off pulling the spindle off the car and taking it somewhere to get it pressed out (youll need to remove the large snap ring before hand) i left the spindle on the car because my balljoints are a little worn and i was afraid i wouldnt get the nut off of them. so i used a torch to heat it up and an air hammer to drive it out from the back side. installing the new one was cake.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
My car has a similair issue in that my steering wheel gets all wackey, at 50mph the streering wheel shimmey's about an inch side to side. I Have had an alignment done. I think mine has to do with the brake rotors though because it gets harsher under deceleration and i didn't bother to get the rotors balanced nor did i bother replacing them after changing my pads.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
tie rods, inner or outers. balljoints can do it a little too. its just good general maint to replace em if anything like that starts to develop.

man ive noticed a lot of owners are here in tx...must be because we're all rust free for the most part.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Overtorqued lug nuts, sticky caliper slides... Seen brakes cause vibrations like this, but just do a good inspection of everything you can think of.

Could be a bad wheel balance as well.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Might also check the rack and pinion bushings. Could also be a twisted belt in one of the tires. If you feel a lump in the treads, that would be the issue.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
its in the front and in the back i changed the wheel bearing in the back, one of the bushing, i had the tires balanced, and there is no play it the back suspension at all, i also changed the ball joints check the steering play innner tie rods and outer tie rods are new and i still cant find what is wrong with it. im going to call and see were the cheapest allinment is because one of my back tires is sticking in on the bottom a lil. and when i get up to 60 or faster the whole rear of the car shakes and the wheel dose the same thing as supramk3speed.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
Well im not really sure why its doing this so i went to my dads shop ripped out all the 20 year old suspension and calling stillon for some goods kits sorry about the other forum my sisters boyfriend dustins a volkswagon freak and was on my account fucking with shit i dont work at a speed im in tpat getting certifide for toyota this year i used to work at c and s speed shop but its not a dyno just parts thanks for the help need a 1 piece drive shaft should i make one or buy one

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
hey guys got a question would abs make this problem accure i noticed ever since my abs lights been on its been doing this the front brakes lock right up and so dose the back so would this have anything to do with this issue

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
When you installed new ujoints, you made sure that they move freely? If they're tight, you'll get a vibration.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
Yes they move freely ill have to check in the spring someone told me when you put rims on they sometimes mess up abs and i dont have a scan tool thats my next tool to get thanks for the help guys

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
ok guys got the vibration fixed, it was my flywheel, i baught a used findanza and it was never balanced, what a pain but very cheap to fix

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Here is a question, did you tighten the drive shaft bolts? I did this one and thought the tires needed balancing but come to find out all the drive shaft bolts where hand tight.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
im not really sure i took it to my old automotive teacher who to the tranny back out and balanced the wheels driveshaft and the flywheel for me and put a lot of new bolts in for me so im not really sure but the good thing is that it was fixed really cheap.