MK3 Torsen diff TBR?

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
GrimJack;1986574 said:
Nope, but we do know the damn thing is fragile as hell, which is why nobody runs with one.

Yeah - luckily I'm not running big hp or torque figures through it. No more than 400hp at the engine MAX - and the torque of a 2L hah

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have had my JZA70 R since February 2007 and have driven it in a "spirited" fashion the entire time. The 1JZ-GTE in it has it's fair share of large single turbos, 264 cams, and 1000cc injectors. I guess I have a particularly well built unit?

Last edited:

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Well, you've got me there. I suppose I just assumed it was a Torsen unit. When I get my car back from the body shop in late spring, I'll tell you what it is! I should probably change the fluid on that sonofabitch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Easy to check, torsen acts like an open diff when unloaded (i.e., both rear wheels off the ground, if you spin one, the other side will spin opposite).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1.5 I think... ( remember reading it somewhere)

I used one for years gave it shit @ 550rwhp and never broke it, just don't shock load it (Clutch dumps with big sticky tyres) and it'll be fine.

Fantastic "Smart" Diff.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
yhatzee89;1988106 said:
Is a torsion diff different from an LSD?
Very different, "TOR SEN" Torque Sensing, it will send the power to the wheel that has the grip, park one wheel on grass nail it and instead of mowing the lawn it will smoke the on road tire and you pull away, if both have grip both get drive, on a cambered road it will swap back and forth very quickly so the car though spinning accelerates in a straight line.

As opposed to a TRUE TRAC that while it sort of operates simular once you stand on the power it locks up tight driving both wheels and will slide down the camber requiring steering input to correct.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
A Torsen is a type of LSD.

Are you sure on the 1.5:1 TBR? I would think it would be at least 2.5:1, though I don't remember ever seeing any specs listed anywhere.

I've beat on some T1's pretty hard and never had any issues, but I have seen them explode pretty good as well, so it seems to be somewhat hit or miss. If you're looking for a stronger Torsen, I'd recommend grabbing a T2 from an IS300 or FR-S, though I don't know the TBR on those either.

Jeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Not sure at all Jeff, just remember reading it somewhere but I'm old so I wouldn't take it as Gospel.

I think shock loading is the key to destroying one, by the time I started using mine the engine and it's power delivery were fairly brutal but this was softened by going Auto and the 285 Falkens not having a lot of straight line traction... There's a vid somewhere demonstrating this effect ;)

I have NFI where my Torsen went after I did the 9" thing, can't remember if I sold it or to who...