Mk3 supra turbo auto vs mk3 supra turbo manual stock boost pressure

allfans26

Sep 11, 2015
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Hey guys,

I've looked around YouTube to find mk3 supras as stock as they can be on a manual and I've found a few. I've noticed that, in comparison to my stock auto mk3 supra, that the boost pressure for a manual has the ability to go up to 8 lbs of boost while my auto (when pushing the car very hard) goes up to around ~6-6.5 lbs of boost. I haven't done anything to the car besides some maintenance work to keep it fresh (like radiator and brake master is all). I was curious to ask why my boost pressure never reached the 8 lbs boost mark. I would love it if someone would elaborate on this. I couldn't find credible information by researching the information on Google.

Thanks,
Branden.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Assuming there's nothing wrong with your car, my thought is because the torque converter does not directly connect the engine and transmission, there's less load on the engine. For a manual, having the clutch create a mechanical connection would load the engine more than the viscous coupling of the torque converter.

allfans26

Sep 11, 2015
Lawrenceville, Georgia
SideWinderGX;2063040 said:
That's normal, autos all things equal will see a bit less pressure than manuals.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=TC&P=5

Oh, wow, I see! Do you think you can elaborate on why this is? I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, I'm curious to see why. Is there a way for me to get it to 8 psi or is that a bad thing? Does this have something to do with a waste gate opening early via factory or what? I like to ask questions. Haha