Mk3 standard speaker sizes?

L

liftback

Can anyone tell me what the sizes are of the 4 standard speakers in a mk3? I would like to have replacements that will fit at least in the standard location in the doors - i think the back ones will be too oddball though. I dont have my car at the moment so I cant check myself.

Cheers for any help.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
6.5 kick ass
you can sometimes find the speaker pods on e-bay they will allow 6.5 to be installed with no problem. You have to trim them a little bit,but its worth it.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
i just bought a 91 parts car and yes they do have 6.5" speakers in the door.
i used all the interior out of the 91(dark grey) and put it in my 89 turbo car.... plus they have stock tweets which I would install new ones in the place of the old ones, but theres a place for them... as you can see in the pick above.

my friend also made a backing and put 5" in the front door....

if you can find a 91 car somewhere and get the speakers out of it.... its worth it...

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
ah, I wish I had known it was that easy before. That is definitely next on my list after getting my windows tinted. I was just going to approach it the way I did for my celica's system, its got the upgraded system with 8 spkrs, but came with 6.5" speakers in the doors. I dremeled out the speaker pod and was able to squeeze two 8" subs in the doors, it hits incredibly hard compared to stock, but if I can just buy new pods Ill definitely do that instead!

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
1TuffSupra said:
I dremeled out the speaker pod and was able to squeeze two 8" subs in the doors, it hits incredibly hard compared to stock, but if I can just buy new pods Ill definitely do that instead!

I did the same to my 95 Celica. I even wrote the 'how-to' at 6gc.net. If there's one thing I miss about the Celica, it's the sound. But I'm sure I can make the Supra sound nice with some work, and it's already much faster :)

wulfstan

4EVRJAM
Apr 2, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Don't mean to jack the thread, but has anyone used the space by the side bolsters to put 6 1/2 speakers. The one on the sides of the left and right rear seats. I want to put separates in this location, but would need to fabricate the mounts since there is not real depth there. If anyone has already done this and has pics, that would be great. I am putting together a Sony ES system including 6 1/2 separates in all four corners, 2 Sony ES Tube Subwoofers in the trunk. But I want to use those side bolsters somehow in order to keep a decent sound stage.

Thanks in Advance.
John

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
1TuffSupra said:
haha, man it was your write-up that I used to put the speakers in the car. Small world huh.

Very small world. Did you ever go to the Pigeon Forge meets? I was only able to go to one and the Dragons Tail ride, and lost the Celica less than a week before going to another.