Mk3 Heart-transplant or rebuild. 1JZ-GTE swap or 7M-GTE build? Help.

7M-GTE vs. 1JZ-GTE

• Total voters

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You just listed a whole whack load of wasted money at the top of the page. Mhg with a properly decked block and oem pistons and rings are your best bet.
550 injectors and a better turbo along with upgraded intercooler, AFPR, upgraded fuel pump and wideband.., you've already went over your goal and you will be stable. You don't need the cams. Go standalone for true power with a good tune and live with a worry free Supra. I just walked the path and its all the power I need.

I built my block for about 700 hp, but after just stand performance upgrades its already more car than I can use at 300+ rwhp. (That's without standalone)

Forged pistons have their own issues and the Oem pistons were designed specifically for that block. If your not going for over 500 Hp stay oem.

Tons if little things to spruce up that eat your budget up quickly. The 7m is a strong engine but as OEM it is restricted due to poorly designed items like the exhaust and intercooler. Once you let it breathe its incredible how peppy the beast can be. Just with the 3" exhaust and larger injectors... My car flies without boost.. Once the 57 trim kicks though... It's a blast!

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I went into the shop today and used our Prosis system and printed off all of the specs for the 7M-GE and GTE engines. So now I can start getting ready for the build up.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I went through this very choice last April. I decided with my 1JZ because it came with a R154 transmission, and a 1JZ bellhousing. Also, I got a ride in a 1JZ car and loved it (this really helped me make my decision). My car was a turbo auto with a w58 swapped into it on my 7M by the previous owner (who was an idiot). I've been extremely happy with my 1JZ and boy does it ever love to rev. But the thing is, sometimes you miss the 7M and it's low end grunt. Especially in traffic where I'd just let the clutch out at idle and the car would move on its own without me ever touching the gas pedal. With my 1J it's a different story however.

Like many people have said on this thread, it's all personal choice. With a 1JZ you get something that doesn't sound like anything else on the road, the closest sound IMO is a RB26 from a Skyline (and even that doesn't sound all that similar). On the other hand however, the 7M is a dying art now. Not many people are staying with the motor. Even though, when you BUILD IT PROPERLY and take your time with the build using the highest quality parts available, the 7M is actually a good motor. With the 1JZ you do get downsides to it though. Back in November my idler assembly took a shit and seized up my motor, the damn thing wouldn't even turn over. Luckily my shop had a parted out 1J laying around with a working idler assembly still on it. And remember, when you go single turbo, you need to replace exhaust gasket, which are completely different from a 2JZ. Thus, forcing you to find a 1JZ gasket set (which even Curt at Elmhurst Toyota can't get anymore last I heard).

I've heard over and over again, and am willing to say it myself, rebuilding your motor will be cheaper and probably better. It allows you to get a brand new motor in your car with brand new EVERYTHING. It will be cheaper by a long shot and last just as long if you take care of it. Good luck with the decision man.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Grandavi;1918530 said:
I did, by accident... And don't regret it... But I still have to say... "No, it's not a 2j" to all the people who ask.

Haha. I had looked at some BIC exhaust clips (which I have to say I love the fact that they actually have videos with sound clips of what their exhaust sounds like. just wish it was high quality) and I'm thinking I may just go down to my dad's friends exhaust shop and get a custom full 3" with maybe a magnaflow muffler w/ tip(s)

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I'm just kind of thinking about the few minor things that I'm gonna need. I could extend this budget a about $1500 more but I have 2 problems. 1) my Supra's struts are SHOT, have been since day 1 pretty much so she's getting some coilovers 2.) my custom hood is having some troubles after this winter. some moisture got stuck in one spot and it ended up freezing and expanding so it has a small bump on the one side so I'm going to replace it with an OEM carbon fiber hood until I have time to start repairing the custom hood.