Mk3 handling

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
Because of the independent suspension, I'm curious what cornering is like with bigger wheels, say drag radials for instance.... I kno a solid axle isn't the greatest for handling with them big wheels

ryannelson91

Jan 10, 2013
Lynnwood, WA
get some good springs and some reputable, bigger, and stronger sway bars and it will make all the difference you need. even if you got slicks :). wider tires are also a good thing.

how big are your wheels?

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
Mine are stock lol... Just doing my research so I know which I will try...having more meat on the pavement should be better for traction and our limited slip diff is ideal ... A friend of mine had a ford 9 pos rear with radials and that ***** was terrible around corners. What I'm getting at is being prime for straightaway and having the ability to take corners 40k without sliding out

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Wheel size and tire compound are 2 completely different things.

"Bigger" wheels is relative.. what size are you talking about? Drag radials come in many different sizes. You can get drag radials that are smaller than the original mk3 wheel setup.

Match the tire to what you are going to be using the car for.
If you want more straight line grip and want to launch then you need a soft sidewall
If you want more cornering grip then you need a stiff sidewall

You can of course find some in between, there are more than enough tire choices these days.

Last edited:

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
I over looked the wheel fittment page and what not, I'm not that educated much on sizes and offsets but as a reference, are you familiar with Greg smiths mk3 supra ?.. 8x10.5 rears with 305/35/18 ... A little big considering he pulled and rolled the quarters .. I probably wouldn't go that big but would it be nice for cornering... I don't wanna seem like Im asking a dumb question because we all know how a dragsetup car handles when off of the dragstrip, because of our cars setup, do we get that benefit of having both options at one time

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Solid axles are good for off road, hauling, and little else. They don't belong on a proper sports car, period.

That aside, I love the 275/40/17 Nitto NT05 that I ran for a couple summers, great tire for straight line, great tire for corners, and reasonably priced for the grip to boot. Oddly enough, they were even stickier than my fairly worn Nitto 555R's. :)

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
KWITTS;1909589 said:
So just a normal high quality st tires should be fine at whatever size ?

te72;1909261 said:
Solid axles are good for off road, hauling, and little else. They don't belong on a proper sports car, period.

That aside, I love the 275/40/17 Nitto NT05 that I ran for a couple summers, great tire for straight line, great tire for corners, and reasonably priced for the grip to boot. Oddly enough, they were even stickier than my fairly worn Nitto 555R's. :)

I like te72's suggestion. You should go for a nice wide set of staggered summer tires, provided you're not using that same set in the winter. If you're on a budget maybe go with some gently used XXRs, sway bars, and a new entry level set of coilovers. If you're on a tight budget maybe grab some springs and shocks instead, and call it a day.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Our cars understeer, I'd make as square of a tire setup as you can get. I think drjonez used to run 275/40's on all four corners. Of course the stickiest of tires won't bandaid 20+ yr old, blown suspension.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
shaeff;1911112 said:
Our cars understeer, I'd make as square of a tire setup as you can get. I think drjonez used to run 275/40's on all four corners. Of course the stickiest of tires won't bandaid 20+ yr old, blown suspension.
This was the setup I ran on my car until I swapped in the Stance coils and couldn't fit my old summer setup anymore without spacing them out a silly amount in the front. With that setup (square, wide, and sticky), I honestly never thought about understeer. You'd have to have REALLY overcooked a corner with my old tire setup to understeer, and this was on stock sways too...