mk3 auto trans ect? What is it?

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
I have an mk3 auto and the tranny wont shift very wheel. I was wondering if it can be shifted manumaticaly.I heard mk3 have a sport mode,and i thought that is what ect is for. Im right or wrong? thanks.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
So it is shifting the rear wheels and not the front...... we see this quite a bit and is normal :icon_razz next. Muzy?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes, the ect selects between normal and sport. i've never used normal. make sure the trans fluid is at the correct level and the line pressure cable is properly adjusted. also check for transmission codes. altho not all codes will show.

you need to be more specific of what not shifting well means if you want good responses.

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
dbsupra90;1427135 said:
yes, the ect selects between normal and sport. i've never used normal. make sure the trans fluid is at the correct level and the line pressure cable is properly adjusted. also check for transmission codes. altho not all codes will show.

you need to be more specific of what not shifting well means if you want good responses.

Shifting means ,when i put it on "D" and then step on the pedal it feels like it lacks of power to the weels it has a slow take off. Thats why I was asking if i can put it in "L" then make it up to "D".I already tryed it and it works ,but i was concerned of messing up my tranny.Thats why I asked.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
so you manually shift it and its fine, but if you put it in drive it feels like its down on power? check codes and see what you find. does your speedo work?

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
to answer your question on "manumatically"...i wouldn't call it that, but yes. that is exactly what drag racers do - they have automatic trannies, obviously crazy built up, but they go from first-to-second-to-third...etc by "slapsticking it". the shifters have a catch that won't let you go more than one gear up at a time without pressing the button...and like wise it won't let you go to L without pressing the button. but it WILL let you "slap" it up gears to D one at a time. it's perfectly fine to do this method when you want to drag on the street...just becareful with how high you get the RPMs to. for my tranny, i slap the stick about 1k-1.2k before i want it to actually shift...

that fact is how i was talked in to staying automatic...

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
dbsupra90;1427462 said:
so you manually shift it and its fine, but if you put it in drive it feels like its down on power? check codes and see what you find. does your speedo work?

The spedo works,but i dont have a code reader. The only thing i notice is that the o/d light flashes when It is off. It does it at random times.One of my friends told me it can be a selenoid.

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
deabionni;1428598 said:
^^^ You don't need a code reader to check for transmission codes. A paper clip, or piece of wire will be fine. The flashing O/D light is an indication that you have transmission codes present.

To check transmission codes, follow the steps outlined in the TSRM.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=13 <--Process starts on that page, and continues for a few pages.

Seams like work. I'll leave that for friday since Im in college right now and she is home. Thanks for the usefull info.