mk3 as a drift car ?

dashti

Apr 29, 2010
الكويت Kuwait
hello
i have a supra mk3 ... i won't to make it for drift like japanese drift cars
i won't to make it like this

244888401644e4ef39b1o.jpg

first i will swap a 2jz-gte on it ( how much power i need for big smoke drift ?)
and what i have to bay for it and install to make it a drift car
pleas can you show me links and thing i can bay and ideas for it

sorry for my bad english aim from kuwait :bigthumb:

usdm_anon

Mar 20, 2010
Madison, WI
First thing your gonna want to do is learn about drifting, there are plenty of sites to learn about it.

This ones okay
http://www.driftingstreet.com/

Go through and learn about techniques and how to set up cars, also watch the drift bible, it's on YouTube, he explains things very well.

You don't need big power to drift, start first with a good running engine, 2jz, 1jz, or 7m whichever you end up deciding on. Get a LSD, kaaz makes some good ones or you can go welded which is dirt cheap to do. Also suspension is very important, get stance coilovers and steering rack spacers to start with. Get some new wheels and good tires and your all set for beginner drifting.

It's also a good idea to invest in a seat as you'll be hitting against your ebrake or door, and practice practice practice. It's the most important thing to do before getting crazy with mods.

Also check out other drifting forums, and the drift forum on supraforums.

I know I'm missing some but hope this helps!

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Power isn't everything. I have gone to drift/autocross events with my 7MGE and used tien ss coilovers. When I was a noob any more would have made difficult. Now that I have "grown out" of the GE im building a turbo motor.

Don't build a car until you try drifting at a few events. Your money will be much better spent if you have some experience and know what parts you need to improve your car instead of just putting a bunch of stuff on and hoping it's good. I wouldn't mess with power yet, a good set of coilovers and an LSD will be the most help.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
rtrdpenguin;1661573 said:
Don't build a car until you try drifting at a few events. Your money will be much better spent if you have some experience and know what parts you need to improve your car instead of just putting a bunch of stuff on and hoping it's good. I wouldn't mess with power yet, a good set of coilovers and an LSD will be the most help.
I'd have to agree, foundation first. which is suspension, No ksport, stance are all you need

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Step 0 - Get a spare set of rims and the hardest tires you can find in the stock width. If your car didn't come with a factory LSD, swap one in. Now. Get coilovers if your suspension needs work; you'll need them in the long run.
Step 1 - Find a safe place to practice. Safe means safe from obstacles, traffic, and the law. Usually, this means a skidpad at a track, or an empty parking lot. Loading docks at a warehouse can work, too.
Step 2 - Get sideways there a couple times per week. Practice makes you comfortable with what's going on with the vehicle, and introduces you to its quirks. Learn to deal with them.
Step 3 - Research. Watch the Drift Bible a couple times, read through some drift forums and a few books on general performance driving. Chances are, there's a drift forum specific for your area; meet up with drifters in the area, talk cars, technique, etc...learn everything you can while still practicing.
Step 4 - Practice some more. You should be getting a feel for what needs to improve by now.
Step 5 - Get some track time; skidpad sessions work wonders for confidence, because people will be watching. Talk to whoever you can afterwards, see if anyone has suggestions. If possible, do an open drift event, and get some live instruction.
Step 6 - Practice even more. Learn how to compensate for certain characteristics of the car; the mk3 is heavy, which means drifting with weight transfer is going to be easier than drifting on pure power.

(notice a pattern here? good. keep practicing.)

Then start upgrading. Chances are, you'll find a need for more chassis/suspension parts, and a little more power. Stock N/A mk3s can break loose, you've just got to learn how.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
He's from Kuwait, he probably has lots of money. Last year when I was there I got passed outside Kuwait City by a flatbed with a white MK3 suped up on it. I was amazed to just see a supra there

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I agree that the supra is rare in Kuwait, that is why I was surprised to see the one that I did when I was there last year. I sure wouldn't want to drive it there the way everybody drives. Passing people on the break down lanes, pulling right up on somebodies rear bumper LOL and that was some of the stuff I saw. You people like to drive fast alright LOL Oh and I forgot about the going from the far left lane over through 4 lanes of traffic to get off the on ramp. WOW

Good luck on your drifter. I have seen some videos of some amazing driving skills of people over there. Looks like a lot of fun

hachibill

Dec 20, 2010
florida
i've had 2 mk3s and have drifted them both. i am also a professional drifter and have competed in formula d. albeit driveing nissan s chassis. and if you can get the weight down a bit i think the mk3 is actually better balanced than an s chassis. start with a hardtop, get rid of the boat anchor cast iron inline 6 and your set.

this one's basically stock turbo targa 7m pig.
p1662582_1.jpg

p1662582_2.jpg

p1662582_3.jpg

this was my hardtop, 7m, coilovers, steering angle, welded diff, lots of fun..
p1662582_4.jpg

p1662582_5.jpg

p1662582_6.jpg

p1662582_7.jpg

dashti

Apr 29, 2010
الكويت Kuwait
wooow nice info
i will make my supra for drift
today i try to drift it ... my problem the L.S.D. is 1 way i can't drift it
i have to change the l.s.d now
what best l.s.d for drift i can install or can i swap a one from another car ?
thanks for help

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
A 1-way should be fine; all a 2-way would do is allow the wheels to lock up during deceleration. With practice this is useful to initiate a slide earlier than usual. Without, it can be annoying at best and dangerous at worst, especially if the diff isn't set up properly.

Keep practicing. If you can find a place where you can slide for an hour or so, do it. Just keep at it...the stock LSD is great for getting sideways. Trust me, lol.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
zby67;1663589 said:
can you kick an MKIII with out a manual? seeing as theres no clutch.

Idk, haven't driven one with an auto. Either way, dumping the clutch is a violent, nasty way to initiate...personally, I feel I have much better control by overpowering the available traction (read: gassing the hell out of it) in the proper gear. Which you should be able to do in an auto, to be honest; I'd just rather have the manual for control reasons.

Mind you, I'm no professional. I just get sideways when the mood strikes or if it's wet outside.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
lol only time i drift is if theres snow on the ground and i go to a parking lot... god im gunna miss that when i go to Texas lol

jdmmk3

Jun 25, 2010
Manchester
hachibill;1662582 said:
i've had 2 mk3s and have drifted them both. i am also a professional drifter and have competed in formula d. albeit driveing nissan s chassis. and if you can get the weight down a bit i think the mk3 is actually better balanced than an s chassis. start with a hardtop, get rid of the boat anchor cast iron inline 6 and your set.

this one's basically stock turbo targa 7m pig.

i think ive seen your car on youtube, you have a 1j in there if i am not correct?