Mk3-ae86

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
First off, apologies to the modgods, I don't know the appropriate forum to post this so please relocate as you see fit. Thanks, guys.

Now then. I have been thinking about selling my Supra recently. I love the damn thing, but i can't afford to not have a driveable car anymore. I hav had the car for a little over a year, and driven it maybe 300 miles. Only one day of that was with the car operating 100%. I want to use the money i get from selling the car to buy a beater, but i don't want to be an everyday civic-driving dirtbag. I would hate myself. There are a few early Corollas for sale around me, and i don't mind the way they look with a nice slam and some wheels.

What i would like to know is:
1) Are there any forums that are comparable to this one for the AE86? No-nonesense bantering, with people who can actually help you when you need it and moderators who don't hesitate to bring down the ban-hammer rather than let the whole site go to shit?

2) I think i can afford to swap the 'Rolla if i get what i would like to for the Soup. Can anybody give me some decent swap ideas with Pro's/Con's to each? I know the SR20 and 2J are popular. Which is more cost effective and reliable? Remember, i want a resonable quick daily, not a dyno queen, and i will be working off of whatever is left after i buy the car and get tags/title.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Either one is going to turn into a project for you, but a 20v 4age is a good combination with those cars. Not much torque, but you don't have to carry around much weight either. Might look into club4age.com if they're still around, they seemed like a decent place when I was driving my TE72 back in the day. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's older than the Supra, so don't expect it to be less of a project.

Age = more parts worn
Age = parts are more rare
Parts more rare = expensive

You're steering away from a civic, but a 90's cvic can be had for cheap, and the same reason the ricer kids love them is why they make great beaters...cheap parts. Not to mention engine swaps, ect. The idea is to have a beater and a project, not a beater project :rofl:

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
the correct spelling is club4ag.com no "e" on the end.

the best swap is not the 20v. they seem to be over-rated in stock form. and a lot of work to swap that one in.

the best bang for buck plugNplay is the 4agze. bolts right in, just make sure you get everything needed in the swap.

i did a 4agte. gze bottom end with turbo. it was insane. beat most cars on the road. had it for 10 years loved it. built it too far to be a DD so got rid of it.

4agze for affordability, speed, and a good daily motor. they came in USDM mr2 and jdm corolla's (ae101 or 111?) so it was available here and in japan.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
yes gze is supercharged. any toyota engine that has a "g" in it means it is a sports car. "t" meant turbo and (at least for the corolla) "z" meant supercharged.

i specify for corolla because idk about the 1uz. 1jz 2jz are obviously turbo but still had "z". so there you go.

but the gze pulls pretty hard. and you dont have to do much to it to make it even faster. many people turbo them. or twin charge them. (both supercharge and turbo) however if you want a good DD just swap in a gze and be done.

i saw a couple 4agze swapped corollas on club4ag for pretty cheap. like 2500. that is surprising seeing that the 4agze alone costs 1500. maybe their swaps werent working all that well or something.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
toyolla86;1666899 said:
yes gze is supercharged. any toyota engine that has a "g" in it means it is a sports car. "t" meant turbo and (at least for the corolla) "z" meant supercharged.

i specify for corolla because idk about the 1uz. 1jz 2jz are obviously turbo but still had "z". so there you go.

but the gze pulls pretty hard. and you dont have to do much to it to make it even faster. many people turbo them. or twin charge them. (both supercharge and turbo) however if you want a good DD just swap in a gze and be done.

i saw a couple 4agze swapped corollas on club4ag for pretty cheap. like 2500. that is surprising seeing that the 4agze alone costs 1500. maybe their swaps werent working all that well or something.

2jz would be engine block. Gte would be g performance dohc, t turbo, e fi.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i wonder if just the 2j would be engine block. like the 4a block but the 4ag to 4ac is vastly different. (also the 4acE is not fuel injected. its carb'd)
in other words im wondering if that Z should be part of the block nomenclature or not.
maybe it has to do with some other part. at least on the 4a it means supercharged.
4agze block is the same as the redtop 4age only lower compression and supercharged.

anyways. i vote corolla with 4agze.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Get a 90's Corolla. I speak for a lot of people when I say they are reliable four cylinder cars. I have seen them go past 200,000 miles. When you are buying one, just make sure you ask about the maintainece history, timing belt, water pump, tensioners and plugs. The usual. When you get one, do a FULL tune up and if one hasn't has a timing service, do that as well. You can get everything aftermarket from Gates and they are good quality parts as well. Change all the coolant hoses and fix any leaks. You can find one that needs a little fixing up for cheap but know what you are buying. Check the oil, let the get to operating temperature and see what happends.

The timing is simple, similar to the 7M.

The Geo Metro is another choice and I am being 100 percent serious.

This coming Summer I plan on getting a 90-95 4Runner with a blow engine and rebuild it for the Winter. Pretty tough winter up here in NY so I am going to need one for next Winter as well. I did not worry about getting the 4Runner this past Summer because I got a super deal on a BHG 1JZ, but this comming Summer I will get one.

Maybe I can find a 22R.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
NashMan;1668288 said:
I am a fan of the 20 valve

Same here, that's why I mentioned it. Love the way they sound... Granted, if I were doing one, it would be built with ITB's and a well designed exhaust manifold. I always liked n/a engines in light cars, they make for fun DD's.

But the GZE could be a good option as well, and they're a bit more readily found cheap if I remember correctly...