MK2+7M+v160+5.29 final drive

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
You cursed me...... I just blew up another set of 5.29's in my 89 toy truck grrrr this is the 3 set I have chewed up.....

fuck 5.29's the teeth are just to small for 7.5 ring gear and small pionon

if you do plan to do this think of good oil 5.29's are going to make some heat with the smaller teeth

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
With all the shifting you will be doing it will kill your times. Your better off with a 1uz and the 4.3 rear end.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^1uz don't rev to much sure they rev for a v8 thou

but revvy motor is a 1jz that all there good for

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Pretty sure he was asking about a 7M and a v160 and 5.29 rear end gears...

Not 1jz and w58 and 4.30 rear end gears.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
Thanks backlash, At least you read the the thread and realized that I wasn't asking for alternatives to the setup that I want. But NashMash, thanks for the heads up on the heat that the 5.29 's create. I now know to add a diff cooler due to the heat. But in regards to what mecevans said.
mecevans;1789467 said:
With all the shifting you will be doing it will kill your times. Your better off with a 1uz and the 4.3 rear end.
Im not drag racing this car, and Im also not stopping at 7k RPM, If I was only going for 7k RPM, then I wouldn't get such a high gear, Id get a 4.88 or lower. But TRUST ME when I say I that the gearing is perfect for what I intend on using my car for. Small winding courses that you dont top out in. Lots and lots of low speed corners with tons of hairpin turns. Thats were throttle response and a super high REV engine with a tall rear end and close gears outshines a overpowered and lagging turbocharged car.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
With the high piston speed of a 7M, i would make sure the bottom end could handle it. Have you thought of de-stroking it, or forged the bottom end? There is a member on here with a 5M 2.8L block and 7M head. He mad some impressive numbers before it blew up.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
funny part is there is no such thing as a 5.29 for the supra...... but you can modd the truck 5.29 from yokon ect, but I am not certon on this the back spaceing is off

as in how to make it work I don't know of it can be made to work

aka it can not be swaped

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
NashMan;1789671 said:
funny part is there is no such thing as a 5.29 for the supra...... but you can modd the truck 5.29 from yokon ect, but I am not certon on this the back spaceing is off

as in how to make it work I don't know of it can be made to work

aka it can not be swaped
Well, yes there is check out this site. http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_37_123&products_id=3479 And in regards to destrokeing the engine. Yes I have thought about it. Not sure if thats the route im going to take or not. Im going to have the pistons custom made from wiseco, they said that the piston speed that I was thinking about would work. They are confident in their pistons. So yes, the bottom end is my main concern. I was thinking about a main support system. We use to install them at DSS Racing when I use to work there. They eliminate main cap walk. Actually they would make their own out of aluminum. They would even make their own pistons too. They did everything, CNC, machine shop, Head shop, cranks and everything. I was their engine assemblymen. Anyway they assist in preventing main cap walk and significantly improve the blocks ability to absorb the harmonics of the engine. This allowed the stock bottom end hold an addition 150-200hp. Thats ADDITIONAL to what the block can already handle. So i was thinking of making one or even possibly going back to DSS and seeing if they could make me one on their cnc machine and if they were interested and other Supra owners were interested, a limited production run of a 7m main support system. Anyone interested in it let me know.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
sip race all ready makes main cap griddle

and i am not sure that web site is correct I think there talking about the mk2 supra rear end

jaws gear made custom ring gear set for his car for 3.56 if remember right because no off selfs worked or some thing

but really no one has rear changed there gear ratio this way since like 1997 when i first entered the forums not comon thing you here around supra world

Toyota truck use a 8 inc ring gear
Mk2 use a 7.5
Mk3 8 inc
Mk4 is an 8 as well but again diffent because of back spaceing

and that link has pic of a pot out of irs toyota truck

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
NashMan;1789797 said:
hehehe powned oopsy I sould read more haha
Its all good. The more information the better. So all those little tid bits that you know, share them!! This is my first supra im building so Im taking my time with this build. Im only building it once, no time for trial and error. Better to overbuild than to under build.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
but the big question is why not run a r154 and 4 10 ring gear?

this was the gear ratio combo I wanted for my 400 hp car the 4.30 was just to much max speed was 240km if remember right on the mk3 wheel size

my buddie had mk2 that we built with 4:10/r154 and I loved that combo but he got rid of it because he just spun tire's (not good tires) and was into auto x and did not want to shift as much

only reason is i don't see a reason to go to all this trouble maken that tranny work......in less you don't like the r1's gear ratio map

there another tranny that can bb hooked up and that is the tko trans that ford uses and still use stock clutch componets
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

but alot fo the mustange guys are now swapping to r154's (cheeper then the tko and others) because t5 transmisson blows up under bigger power

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
NashMan;1789840 said:
but the big question is why not run a r154 and 4 10 ring gear?

this was the gear ratio combo I wanted for my 400 hp car the 4.30 was just to much max speed was 240km if remember right on the mk3 wheel size

my buddie had mk2 that we built with 4:10/r154 and I loved that combo but he got rid of it because he just spun tire's (not good tires) and was into auto x and did not want to shift as much

only reason is i don't see a reason to go to all this trouble maken that tranny work......in less you don't like the r1's gear ratio map

there another tranny that can bb hooked up and that is the tko trans that ford uses and still use stock clutch componets
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

but alot fo the mustange guys are now swapping to r154's (cheeper then the tko and others) because t5 transmisson blows up under bigger power
Well, I plan on using BFGoodridge g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires. 245/40/17. They are 24.7 in tall. And also remember, my engine is all motor. NA, so there wont be alot of torque. I shouldn't have to worry about spinning the tires. Thats were the 5.29 rear end will make up for that and once out of first gear, i will no longer be low in the RPM range. Thats why the v160 is perfect with this rear end combo and the engine output. I hope to get as close to 300 hp as I can to the wheels but more realistically Ill be between 240 and 270 hp. I know not many people have seen that hp with a NA 7M but im sure it can be done. I will be going to a manual rack, no A/C, and a dry sump system as well as a racing vacuum pump, under drive pullies and a electric water pump. With this setup Im hoping to achieve as close to 300hp as possible.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
300 na power 7mge hummm not sure on that one with out stroking it

7mge could do mabye mabye close to 300 on lpg and wack of timing since lpg is easyer to find then e85

and cost less in the long run

msd box and lpg carb

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
funky_monkey58;1789947 said:
This thread hurts my head.

Everything about it is wtf?

OP do it and post pics, I personally think it sounds tarded.

This is all thats right with this thread. Even after your surgery to replace your blown-out elbow after all the shifting you would do, the car would be no faster or quicker than a gte with bolt ons.

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
It’s funny that all the new people to this thread only have negative things to say. If this thread gives you a headache, DONT READ IT. If you want to contribute something helpful to this, it’s easy..... 7M mated to a v160. ??? Anything to say about that??...... No?... Ok, then. People act like they have to comment on everything posted, like we can’t live without their opinion. Sorry to disappoint, but we can. I’m running a NA 7M. I hope everyone knows what that means..... IM NOT RUNNING A GTE, NO TURBO, AND I LIKE THE THE SETUP THAT I WILL BE USING. That means that I won’t be putting in a 4.1 or a 4.3 rear end. This thread is intended to know if anyone has put a v160 on a 7M. If you have a question for me about my setup I would more than willing to answer them. If you don’t think my setup is a good idea, OH WELL. TOO BAD. That’s why you have your own car to do whatever the hell you want to do to it. Sorry if this comes across the wrong way. Really I am. I have my reasons why I’m running the setup that I am, just like you, you have reasons why you ran the setup that you did. My setup won’t work for you just like your setup won’t work for me. I’m trying something different that has never been done before or that has rarely been done with success and that’s the end of that.