mk1/mk3/pickup hybrid

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
I know to many of you it maybe considered a waste of time. but that being said, I had a 5m-4 laying around among several other spare parts and wanted to put it to good use. So I dropped the 5m-e into a -79 pickup that was a rust bucket. I'm doring the wiring right now. It went in with stock 5m mounts and brackets, however in a 79-83 truck, it places the engine about 5 to 6" abpve the hoodline with a bad tilt on the tranny. i modified the engine brackets dropping the engine lowe enought to clear the hood and have the oil pan miss the x memeber. I didn, however have to heat and bend the pitman and adler arms to get the crossbar to clear by 1.5" all in all it fits great. I found ou the truck underdash wiring was damaged b4 i bought it as is the underhood wiring..so I'm doing a chassis wiring swap from the ma47. I pulled everything from a wrecked ma47 so the wiring will be in better cond and newer than what was in the truck. I will keep you guys posted. next step:
fuel pump and radiator.

I dropped the fuel tank on the 79 pickup and was surprised to find that the truck had an electric fuel pump. It is a low pressure pump with a very small body, however I am trying to decide if I should run an inline or in tank pump. on the rest of the truck, I removed the stock underdash harness, the thing was in bad shape. I fed the ma47 supra harness under the dash in the truck. the fan blower motor speed control , brake switch and dash dimmer control both plugged right in. The blower motor wire needs to be extended and it will wire right up. Eveything else was swapped from the mk1 supra. It's all in and plugged up to the underhood wiring, which is in turn is connected to all the sensors and the headlight, and core support harness. Whats left is connecting the wiring to the steering column/ ign switch and the cab wiring to the bead wiring, which should be a sinch.

p803454_1.jpg

p803454_2.jpg

p803454_3.jpg

p803454_4.jpg

p803454_5.jpg

I know it an't pretty, yet, but the project was supposed to look like a quick little rustbucket...

connected the speedocable and dropped fuel tank and remove elect pump and pickup. I dropped the the mk1 supra fuel pickup into the tank and I will going with the 5me pump which will provide enough gasoline for 375 hp..enough even for 2jzgtte or lexus v8. It will work for a 5me with turbo. If flows better than a 7mge pump. WIll be re-installing the tank today.

Next I will measure the driveshaft and see if a mk2 driveshaft I had laying around will work...

the white and green plugs are tailights and fuel pump wires, respectively.
This is the splice point between the supra wiring and the truck wiring, which is a sinch.
You can see the melted harness unde the dash and in the engine compartment...
Here are also pics of the mk1 ma47 electric fuel pump and fuel pump pickup bolted into the truck fuel tank. Toyota moved one of the 8 bolt holes was moved over 1/4 to ensure proper installation on truck. I just left that one bolt out...

p803454_6.jpg

p803454_7.jpg

p803454_8.jpg

p803454_9.jpg

p803454_10.jpg

the 81 supra fuel suction is 1/2" diam fuel line!
See below the inline fuel fuel pump from the supra.

p803454_11.jpg

p803454_12.jpg

When I get it running I will run it on the track for a base run and then start adding goodies like a s/c or turbo.

The exhaust is going to be a dual muffler-back exhaust from a mazda rx-8...

The steering wheel is from an 88 turbo

The seats are from an 87 mk3 supra

The tires are 16" pulled off a wrecked 87, but the rims wouldnt' fit
(the mitsu wheels look better anyway)

Anyone have any suggsetions or ideas or parts...?

MOST IMPORTANTLY...

my pickup has the larger rear end difff similar in size to 85-95 4runners...I have heard that the mk3 supra rear lsd and diff will swap right into the pickup rear...

My other question has anyone done mk3 brakes on a toyota pickup....

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i like it but theres to much room inbetween the exhaust manifold and the framrail needs a turbo to cut down on all that free space lol

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
themadhatter said:
i like it but theres to much room inbetween the exhaust manifold and the framrail needs a turbo to cut down on all that free space lol
I have a bolt-on 5M-E turbo kit sitting in my garage right this second!

....it's attached to a MKI though ;)

OMG, are those Starion wheels?

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
annoyingrob said:
I have a bolt-on 5M-E turbo kit sitting in my garage right this second!

....it's attached to a MKI though ;)

OMG, are those Starion wheels?

thanks for all the support...
hey annoyingrob..any vhance on selling that 5m turbo kit?...is it mteu stuff or one off custom stuff?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
dulobast25 said:
thanks for all the support...
hey annoyingrob..any vhance on selling that 5m turbo kit?...is it mteu stuff or one off custom stuff?
I'll tell you tomorrow. It's a custom turbo kit designed by "Bob's Automotive Engineering", I kid you not. It bolts up to the stock manifold, has a T3 on it which is actually in PERFECT condition surprisingly enough. For a 26 year old turbo, it has NO shaft play.

anyways, it's my friend's car, and he blew the ringlands on 3 cylinders in an accident, so we swapped a junkyard motor into it, only to find the motor had rodknock (It had NO rod bearings!). So, we sort of mashed together two bad motors to a good one. Tomorrow we finish putting the motor back in, and see if it runs. If it doesn't he's selling the car. I'll let you know.

Even comes with fuel management :) (IE: it makes the ECU think it's colder on boost to add more fuel :))

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
annoyingrob said:
I'll tell you tomorrow. It's a custom turbo kit designed by "Bob's Automotive Engineering", I kid you not. It bolts up to the stock manifold, has a T3 on it which is actually in PERFECT condition surprisingly enough. For a 26 year old turbo, it has NO shaft play.

anyways, it's my friend's car, and he blew the ringlands on 3 cylinders in an accident, so we swapped a junkyard motor into it, only to find the motor had rodknock (It had NO rod bearings!). So, we sort of mashed together two bad motors to a good one. Tomorrow we finish putting the motor back in, and see if it runs. If it doesn't he's selling the car. I'll let you know.

Even comes with fuel management :) (IE: it makes the ECU think it's colder on boost to add more fuel :))

Keep me posted.. I assume it was a u-tube or an elbow mounted to the manifold outlet, with a pair of vsv valves connected to the water temp sensor circuit.. at any rate.. do you have pics?

UPDATE: after a few setbacks, i got it cranked up!. I have to shorten the driveshaft by about 1/4" to get it on..the truck didnt have one.. and the motor was put in b4 the driveshaft was purchased..in the future I wont make that mistake again.. ..Anyways it sounds good, I have to install the downpipe and muffler to quiet it down.... With the 22r gearing this should make a nice track truck.. Once I launch it a few times., I will try to go lsd...