miss at idle and sputtering

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Ok guys. I have been attempting the tookwick 2jzge coil upgrade. found some used coils and wires. Purchased a new coil harness but chose to lengthen the original as a practice run before hacking up the brand new one. Got everything installed and it ran like crap. Didnt even take it for a ride cause it was missing so bad. So put everything back original. I figured it was probably either the 2jz coils or the wires so I order brand new wires. Tried reinstalling with the new plug wires. STill ran the same. So I figured it was the coils but in the meantime I reinstalled everything back to stock again. Back to stock it idled fine but when I went to drive it it was missing pretty bad. Couldnt drive it normally. Was puttering pretty bad. So I tried then taking the coil clips off the new harness and installing them on the lenghtened harenss since the clips broke when I was adding the length for the JZ coils. After that it ran like normal again, with the stock coils. So I figured since it ran normal now with the the new clips added to the old longer wire harness I would retry the 2jz coil install with the new plug wires. Didnt make a difference. So again back to the stock coils. But now the car runs pretty close to the way it ran with the 2jz coils on the stock coil packs.

I cant figure out where the problem is. The only thing I have taken off the last couple of days of all this back and forth, is the throttle cable plate. Everything else has stayed installed. All the vacuum lines and intake hoses and tubes. Of course I have disconnected the coil harness and plug wires. But thats about it. I checked the CPS tonight and it wasnt within spec, so I changed it. Well it must have been out of spec cause it was hot. Does that make the resistance difference? The one I reinstalled did not read the same after it was hot either. So I think that was a waste of time. Im getting 12 volts to all three of the coil connectors. There is a noticeable difference when pulling off each plug wire. I also have tried 3 different stock coil packs. And 2 different sets of plug wires. I have no codes and never have, but decided to reset the ECU anyway. Didnt change anything. I tried wiggling the cps plug and coil harness plug as I know these can become problematic with age. Nothing. Sucks cause I was getting this car ready for a meet this weekend which I should be at right now. And im not there! Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
hvyman;1562478 said:
Sounds like its in the wiring some where.

I have played with all the connections many times. I just dont know what could have changed when i all I did was change out the ignition components and then put them back in. Didnt unhook anything else. Unless something else went bad at the same time. The ISC does click when I turn the car off as well. Its a wierd miss at idle, in that the tach doesnt jump when it does it.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
hmmmm 30 views and no advice? Really? Where are all the experts at? I tried jumpering b+ and FP to per one of jet cocks post on a similar problem. Didnt change anything. Im going to try his grounding recommendation as well. I dont think that will help my problem but I believe the benefits are there. And at this point im ready to try anything. I miss my car!!!!

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
It sounds like you have went over your upgrade many of times. You might won't to check your afm. Mine was going bad and it would not through any codes until it got real bad. It was missing at idle and up to 2500 rpms and then it act like it was going to work. Of course you can rule this out if you are running speed density.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
jetjock;1563136 said:
I've been accused of many things but jet cocking isn't one of them. I'm more a take my time kinda guy...

ooops sorry about the spelling. Need to pay more attention obviously. Update anyway. All this trouble and it ended up being a badly cracked porcelain on the number six plug. I must have done that early in the game of going back and forth so many times on the 2jz coil upgrade. Never thought it would be the plugs because I removed all of them and checked the gaps before I attempted the 2jz coils the first time. I was thinking it might be my AFM since mine didnt spec out. But then I tested 2 more know working AFM's and got the same numbers. I dont know if my analog meter is fautly or what??? Im glad to have my car back!!!