mishimoto silicone heater hose set...whats the third hose?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-toyota-supra-silicone-heater-hose-86-92.html

Top left is the goofy hose on the heater valve on the passenger side firewall. Bottom center is from that heater valve to behind the head.

Top right hose is...what? Can't be the lower radiator hose, but I don't know of any other hoses that are that long. Is it the other hose that attaches to behind the head and loops somewhere else? (or is it all three of the hoses here http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8716&P=1 ?)

Been going through a silicone hose frenzy lately haha :p

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Shame they don't come with the small bends behind the water pump and at the back of the head. That would make that kit a winner.

AZ-7MGTE

Apr 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
So what's the verdict on this hose kit? Does it fit well? I'm about to purchase it and want to know if there is a better option?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Haven't heard anything about it's fitment or quality but if it's like the other silicone hoses out there (such as for the radiator) they should be really good. I'll be going with it soon, seeing as how one of my makeshift hoses doesn't fit too well haha.

AZ-7MGTE

Apr 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Yeah I'm going with this hose kit also, along with the Fluidyne Radiator, solid upper Rad hose, silicon lower, and 160 thermostat.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
AZ-7MGTE;1555322 said:
Yeah I'm going with this hose kit also, along with the Fluidyne Radiator, solid upper Rad hose, silicon lower, and 160 thermostat.

Stock computer or standalone, If stock that 160 degree stat might hurt you.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
nosechunks;1555446 said:
Stock computer or standalone, If stock that 160 degree stat might hurt you.

+1, from another thread:

good deal.. i was always told 160-180*t-stat is what you want? isn't it better to keep your engine cooler?

figgie;1121483 said:
Think about that for a minute.

What makes the engine work. (Heat)

What happens when a cool metal is made to absorb heat. (Absorbs MORE heat = taking away heat from doing work).

If the parts could tolerate it, the ideal things would be to run the engine as HOT as it could take without braking. Meaning stupid high compression. No coolant to keep heat inside the cylinder. Some exotic material to reduce heat transfer between the combustion process and the cylinder wall, pistons, combustion chambers, valves etc.

jdub;1121512 said:
You were told wrong ;)
The thing is, a lower temp stat will not keep the motor cooler unless excess thermal transfer capacity exists...i.e you have a bigger rad providing additional coolant volume and greater efficiency to facilitate heat removal.

This is not necessarily a good thing. On a stock rad, the coolant will delay warming up to the 176 degs the TCCS is looking for to come out of warm-up enrichment. You will run rich for a longer time (gas mileage) until ops temp is reached. If you have a big rad with a 160 deg stat, it's possible you will never hit the 176 degs the TCCS is looking for...you will never reach ops temp.

The ops temp range is 176-210 deg...this is normal and what you want the cooling system to do. A 190 deg stat is good for 99% of the 7Ms out there. The exception is parts of the country where it's hot as blazes (like Arizona) in the summer...the Delta T between OAT and coolant temp greatly reduces efficiency. In this case a 180 deg stat will help the system get a "jump" on cooling....max coolant temp will still depend on total thermal capacity. I would never use less than a 180 deg stat.

FYI - above 210 degs, the TCCS starts to pull timing.

The ecu is looking for a temp in between (and including) 176-210 deg fahrenheit to run the engine effeciently. At 160 it'll be running rich and waiting for the engine to warm up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They need to make a entire silicone hose kit or sell each piece separately. Like the 2 little "L" bends.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I was thinking about grabbing this kit as well. Will still need to source those two 90 degree hoses though :( Has anyone sourced a vendor for those yet? I've found a couple; but they were like $35 a piece and cut to fit.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
AZ-7MGTE;1557288 said:
Thanks A. Jay for the info, guess I will stick with the 180 thermostat.

No problem. I mean, really, the thanks go to the original posters of the info. Glad to still help out somehow though :)

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Caved and bought a set. Quality is very nice. I'd say in between the OBX and the SAMCO. Can't comment on fit yet.

I thought I'd be the first to post an actual pic of these things:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
Link to said hose?

Also, someone mentioned the hose is actually something like 110 degrees? Does anyone know the actual angle of the two small coolant hoses? I'd hate to purchase the 90 degree ones, bust my back and nuckles up wedging them in; only to find out later that they crimped shut and blew my engine :(