Mishift = Death?

So I was cruising at a constant 55mph coming up to a light (had been red for awhile) so I opted to downshift cause I thought it would turn green right as I rolled up to it. When I throw for 4th with my CRAZY loose w58 I slipped into second and on my way to the super harsh 9k RPM jump i kicked the clutch back in and threw it into neutral, now everytime the car is on there is ALOT of NVH my exhaust (the whole thing) and my coolant reservoir (not to mention the rest of the car) shake like they are in the middle of an seizure and the car was REALLY hard to move between gears. So thinking i ate my shifter bushing I removed the shifter and figured I'd SOGI it up while I was in there and this is what I found.
dsc05002l.jpg

After cleaning out the shavings and replacing the shifter seat (as you can see in the picture there was none to start with.) and adding a shift bushing to the end of it, as mine was bout as thick as a business card and mixed in with the shavings I took it for a short residential 25mph and less drive and ended up overheating and having to push it home :3d_frown: and the shifting was still a bit rough with new bushings grease and the SOGI mod.

Last edited:

bassjunkiens5

Nov 25, 2008
Tenn
^ IJ, I know "guess" means "this is your problem" lol. I'm going to send you a PM on the other site to pick your brain some more if that's ok.

The overheating is probably HG related from the slightly high revving of 9k+ RPM. Do the usuals for that and good luck.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bad shift can seriously damage the transmission. You'll have to go through everything to figure out what really went wrong though as we're only guessing at this end.

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
are those metal shavings on the tip of your screwdriver? wouldnt that the the logical indicator of a fatal transmission failure?

if you were really only going 55... a shift into 2nd would put you somewhere around 6-7k.... not 9k

and if by chance you did get it up to 9k.. your going to be looking into new engine bearings sometime very soon.

good luck

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Likely damage:

Transmissions (definite - metal shavings are not normal)
Other driveline components
Head gasket
Possible stretched rods

A misshift of on that order can easily destroy an entire drivetrain.

Practicing proper hand positions when shifting can help prevent this, especially with a loose shifter:

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
wow scary how bad would it be if a piece of the seal around the shifter fell in there its a decent size. but its way down there i havent put the shifter back on yet. i will be once i get some new seal but is there a good way to get it out with out damaging something

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
supraduper;1450660 said:
are those metal shavings on the tip of your screwdriver? wouldnt that the the logical indicator of a fatal transmission failure?

if you were really only going 55... a shift into 2nd would put you somewhere around 6-7k.... not 9k

and if by chance you did get it up to 9k.. your going to be looking into new engine bearings sometime very soon.

good luck

On an over rev bearings aren't the issue.

Check the drive shaft as per IJ, My Buddie in his z06 went from the top of 4th to third trying to throw 5th. The car was fine but i would bet he could have made a diamond in his butt hole when it happened.

Are the shavings metal? hard to tell in the picture, i would imagine the transmission is ok.

Why did the motor overheat, that could be an issue.

The random overheating was due to a faulty thermostat.
Today I put the car on the rack and took pictures of the drive shaft links and motor mounts cause I'm not EXACTLY sure what I'm looking for. Then I removed the shifter, and the destroyed remains of the factory bushing that I didn't not find initially and added a quart of tranny fluid. It feels a billion times better now, but its defiantly not %100....or whatever % it was before I fucked it up.:3d_frown:

suprarx7nut;1451313 said:
Please tell me you drained the tranny fluid before just topping it off...

If not you should do that before driving it any more...

Money $hift is right...

:: facepalm :: I'm failing so f*cking hard right now.
Although it was only 6 miles, it's staying parked until I can flush the tranny.
The goal is to get it daily drivable until I can start my rebuild.
Is there ANYTHING else I should do before moving it again? I really don't want this to get any worse. What fluid would you recommend?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Drain it. Buy a couple quarts of the cheap shit and flush it out. Refill it with Redline MT-90.

Honestly, your trans probably just got pwnt. These old transmissions really don't take missed shifts well. Look at it this way, you can upgrade to an R154 now! =)