Minimal machine work 7MGTE

msane99

Feb 8, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Greetings! I have a few questions. I recently purchase a one owner dealer maintained, with documentation 1988 7MGTE with 150,000 miles on it. Head was redone 6 months ago. She started knocking last week (not very noisy but there) I pulled plug wires one @ a time and it quieted when I removed #4 plug wire. I immediately ordered a JDM engine and started purchasing everything I needed for the rebuild of new/used engine.

We pulled the factory engine this weekend and inspected bottom end. #4 rod bearing was only problem we found. When running my finger nail across crank surface there is a small groove and a little scoring.

Now since I am having this JDM engine built (all suggested machine work and prep) I was wondering what would be the minimal disassembly, and machine work to have done to the factory engine we just pulled to still pull a few more miles out of it while building my permanent engine.

Thank you for all the help!

Michael

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Since you are building another motor and you already have the other motor out you could just replace that single bearing and run it until you find pieces of the block on the floor (just kidding!)

I'd just get the machine work done once to that jdm engine and be done with it.

msane99

Feb 8, 2008
Hoschton, GA
bowsercake;925687 said:
Since you are building another motor and you already have the other motor out you could just replace that single bearing and run it until you find pieces of the block on the floor (just kidding!)

That was the original plan!! lol