Minecraft: My Personal Choice for Video Game of the Year

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I was playing this the other night and made a huge under ground room, and wanted a water thing in the middle but made a mistake and flooded the whole thing.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I have a server, my friend and I have been playing for a good 8 months now....I call it legos without the clean up. PM me if you want to jump on my server.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
SupraMario;1626322 said:
I have a server, my friend and I have been playing for a good 8 months now....I call it legos without the clean up. PM me if you want to jump on my server.

Haha, yeah, I happen to have my own server for it as well that me and 2 buddies play on - we build all kinds of crap.

It is by far one of the coolest games ever considering how much stuff you can do - I have already built a skyscraper that touches the clouds, and we are currently doing an underwater glass tunnel... fun stuff.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Setheroo;1626518 said:
Haha, yeah, I happen to have my own server for it as well that me and 2 buddies play on - we build all kinds of crap.

It is by far one of the coolest games ever considering how much stuff you can do - I have already built a skyscraper that touches the clouds, and we are currently doing an underwater glass tunnel... fun stuff.

Yea, we have currently a 4 tower setup of 7X5 and 6x4 runs with walls covering it going to the clouds and full drop to the ground. I've also got a vent channel I run for us. Hit me up if your interested, I'll jump on your server too. Sounds like fun.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
You must not have seen Garrys Mod. =p
You can build anything you want pretty much; and it has physics in it. You can even get a mod for it that lets you travel to space and other planets and you can have planet wars. Usually me and my friends just do fort wars; we build forts for ourselves with cannons [cannons that you have to build yourself] that launch barrels from the game using lil triggered explosives you can set. This game uses the engine and parts from the HL2 source engine.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
steven89;1626554 said:
You must not have seen Garrys Mod. =p
You can build anything you want pretty much; and it has physics in it. You can even get a mod for it that lets you travel to space and other planets and you can have planet wars. Usually me and my friends just do fort wars; we build forts for ourselves with cannons [cannons that you have to build yourself] that launch barrels from the game using lil triggered explosives you can set. This game uses the engine and parts from the HL2 source engine.

Yea I've got GM and it isn't minecraft. not even close.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Uhhh..they would have to pay me more than $15 to play that game for more than an hour. Although, I can see how it would be amazing and innovative had it been released 20 years ago.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A "modern" game has a render distance and limited amount of polys, after seeing some of the stuff done in that game I understand exactly why it looks "crappy" in close. A modern engine can't pull off what it does.

Case in point:
[video=youtube;LWPk5zlKAEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPk5zlKAEM[/video]

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Poodles - that video you posted is really something else. I wouldn't even know where to begin in order to build something like that in game. But having seen it really brings me back to original statement that the game is simply incredible - it takes more than graphics to impress me.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Apparently nobody remembers Nintendo's Mode 7 anymore... Brings back a lot of good memories of SNES. :D

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Dachande;1626719 said:
Uhhh..they would have to pay me more than $15 to play that game for more than an hour. Although, I can see how it would be amazing and innovative had it been released 20 years ago.

LOL, Go pirate the game, play single player for more than 1 hour and I guarantee you will be hooked. Graphics isn't what make this game innovative. It is the first true random generated open sand box world ever, no two world are alike, plus there is no edge, if you continue to travel and explore the computer generates more random land and area.

I dunno why but this is or should be the official trailer to the game:
[video=youtube;FaMTedT6P0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I[/video]

And here is a server, this is what people do with the game:

[video=youtube;CTm4GP9gFE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTm4GP9gFE4[/video]

SupraOfDoom;1626780 said:
I prefer legos.

I've got about $15,000 worth of legos, yes you read that correctly(been playing with legos since I was old enough to crawl (Duplos) then on to legos at around 4)...damn things are EXPENSIVE. I am a HUGE LEGO fanatic. Believe me, if you love legos this game will drag you in and you will love the hell out of it.

EDIT:

BTW if you want to know how popular this game is, google "The Word of " and enjoy how Notch (the creator) is more popular now than dog.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
empera;1626828 said:
looks really addictive, ima d/l it when i get home.

The word addictive isn't a good term to use, because it takes all of 20-30mins to go holy fuck I just played 8 hours and it felt like 20-30 mins lol.

It is worse than heroin.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
SupraMario;1626836 said:
The word addictive isn't a good term to use, because it takes all of 20-30mins to go holy fuck I just played 8 hours and it felt like 20-30 mins lol.

It is worse than heroin.

hahaha, nice...i should d/l it here at work ;)

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
[video=youtube;asImTDkPWKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asImTDkPWKA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is a video of someone just running a mine cart/ rails, this shows how big (infinite) the randomly generated worlds are, this is sped up and it is still long.

alexscof

May 29, 2009
Pullman, Washington (WSU)
I played for 19 hours the weekend I discovered it. It really does become a problem.
Also, do not base your opinion on the free version. Either spend the 14 bucks or use someone you knows login, way different experience.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
alexscof;1628004 said:
I played for 19 hours the weekend I discovered it. It really does become a problem.
Also, do not base your opinion on the free version. Either spend the 14 bucks or use someone you knows login, way different experience.

Come join us! I've started building on Seths server lol, I've abandoned mine, it still runs though, but I've got a massive project that is underway.