Mind boggling tranny issue

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
So here is my problem, at the EXACT INSTANTof the clutch engaging WHEN IN GEAR it has this horrid grinding sound similar to the teeth of the flywheel grinding on something, it does not slip when in gear nor does it make this sound when not actually In gear, we've conducted tests with it on a lift and it's not the slave cyl nor the throwing bearing, nor the flywheel, nor the driveshaft,

The issue arose once we put the engine back into the car, the r154 was off for a detailed exterior cleaning (previous owner oil leak) while the engine was out, and we just slid it back on, bolted it up and pitbut back in the car,

It's nothing hitting the flywheel or it'd be doing it constantly, it's not a slipping clutch, it's a fairly new slave, freshly bled, had it in the air and made the sound while someone looked into the inspection holes and everything looked in order, but it's DEFINATELY in the clutch area,

Sorry if this isn't grammatically correct, I'm on my iPhone at 2:25 am and can't sleep so I'm seeing if anyone can help out, tha ks ahead if time guys

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Couple things come to mind right away
1- What cluth/PP are you using? How old is it?
2- Did you take the throwout bearing off of the pressure plate/were the washers reinstalled properly if it was?
3- Any excessive crankshaft movement when the noise occurs? (thrust bearing wear)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Is your clutch fully disengaging? You might need to adjust it.

How much freeplay does your clutch pedal half? Half an inch is what I use, which assures to pressure is being sent to the slave.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
We didn't take the clutch off, only the transmission, its a spec stage 3, prolly five years old, and it holds fine when driving and let's go fine in neutral, so it's not the clutch disc, it only does it for that split second, but it sounds horrid, short of taking the tranny back out, the hard way this time, we can't think if anything else to do

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
record it send it to your email, download onto your comp, go to youtube click upload then upload it from your comp. then copy paste youtube link to thread. sure there are other ways but that should work