Might be outta the game. Is there near Hagerstown MD that know supra's?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Slow_Sc3;1226963 said:
im down to help out ill need a ride as my lic is suspended but iv been more then enough customers cars and my own to know the ropes.

Sounds good man. I'll be giving you a call to set something up.

A big thanks goes out to cruisnhard for helping drop the engine in on Saturday. You the man Paul! I coudn't have done it without you. I'd also like to throw a shoutout to SWD Fredester 3 who helped with the fuel lines.
Now all I need to do is fire this baby up.

Here's a little math for everyone.

This:

p1227152_1.jpg

+

This:

p1227152_2.jpg

=

This:

p1227152_3.jpg

p1227152_4.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I'm east of Baltimore, in Bel Air. I did the head gasket in my car, and I know my way around the engine exterior and engine bay. If you set up a day, I would be willing to head out there for a full day of working on it.

WOW, posted a couple mins before me, lol. NICE!!! that is one killer engine!

Last edited:

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
looking good. what are you going to use to tune that monster?

your going to need a mkiv tt throttle cable for that intake manifold you got there ;)

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Glad to see it didn't go to waste. GL. Oh and if a mkiv throttle cable is too short, try a 95 camry 4cyl no cruise. Its a bit longer.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
The engine actually went in smoothly. The only thing is that we could not find the nuts for the bottoms of the motor mounts. The tranny lined up great and the shifter sits perfect. It is coming a long slowly but surely. Dov has so much time and effort in the details. You should knock on the fuel tank, which was a pita to get in.

Dov let me know about this week. I may be able to help a little.

Paul

ps MKIII4ME has a VPC and an safc to tune this. Some dyno time will def be needed.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
ForcedTorque;1227674 said:
Please tell me that you fifn't forget to get a EGR cooler at the back of the head before the install!!!! Or, are you going without an EGR? If you do, try to locate a JDM ECU to run without it.

LOL. Nah, the EGR is all blocked off. The engine's previous owner capped is off by threading bolts in. I was going to put the Lipp block-off plates I have over them, but what's the point?

As far as the ECU goes, I was just planning on using my OEM US AT ECU. Why? Is this a problem?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
ForcedTorque;1228093 said:

Doh! It never ends.

Well, there's no way I'm gonna screw with that back bolt and rethread for a EGR, so I'll have to go the JDM ECU route. I see 2 JDM AT ECU's on ebay right now for around 100 bones. Since my ride started as an auto, should I stay with an auto ECU? Or should I switch over the a MT ECU?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
ForcedTorque;1228215 said:
It is my understanding that you can use an Auto ECU for a manual. I have no experience at all with the JDM's, but I wouldn't think it would be much different.

I know I can use a AT ECU on a Manual. I heard that the idle is just a few hundred rpm higher. I'm asking if there would be any benefit of going to a manual ECU at this point since I have to swap my US ECU out for a JDM one.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
The only diff is if the ecu controls the tranny also. If there is a diff computer for the tranny then you will be fine as the ecu are close to the same if not exact. If the ecu does control the transmission then get the Manual tranny ecu. I would go manual it will be easier and less headache.

FlipSupra8

Mar 3, 2009
maryland
am i bumping a way 2 old thread?.i donno but just interested into what happened..if so...ill be down to help around...itll damn sure help me gain more exp..

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
FlipSupra8;1279122 said:
am i bumping a way 2 old thread?.i donno but just interested into what happened..if so...ill be down to help around...itll damn sure help me gain more exp..

I still have the garage for the time being, (not sure how much longer though), and I've been working on finishing up the project. I just put the turbo in over the weekend.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92439

All help is welcome, but you absolutley must have mechanical expertise; preferabley on Supra's. I will not have noobs getting their experience trying things for the first time on my car. This is a very expensive toy :biglaugh:

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
D34DC311;1279611 said:
I love how you have held onto your dream and finishing it up.

I totally agree! Just read the entire thread to see what was going on. I had a very simmaler experience to you my friend (and i Just drove my car for the first time yesterday). I had my best friend of 10 years who i would have done anything for working on my car. We had even opened our own mechanic shop and then out of the blue one day he started stealing from me. My engine (1JZ into MA70) was already put back in and mostly hooked up by the time he left (but that doesnt really matter as I had paid him more than fair to do the entire job and he didnt even do the wiring). To make a long story a little bit shorter, I ended up getting some help with my car by a guy who I met through some friends (and although i paid him) he did an excellent job. I was thinking about scrapping the whole project as i was losing my shop in a month (which was today!) Although you may have time limits, they only seem to make me want to get it done even more!

Good Luck cant wait to see her when shes done

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Thanks guys, the engine bay has really come along, but as far as the interior and exterior go, well, they're still shit. I mean bad. I really want to get that ugly ox-blood interior swapped out with my black one, but I figure there's no point in even starting until the engine fires up.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I am So glad you have stuck with it, instead of scrapping plans and selling parts.

Now, for motivation............I swapped every single piece of interior in my car from the firewall to the tail light covers in about 8 hours. Of that time, I had to pick between 3 different dashes, and then figure out which of the 3 dash wiring harnesses was going to best match my engine harness. Now for the kicker, I also had to pull all those parts from my other car! Interior is not hard. Just take your time, and don't force anything. If you need any knowledge help while doing it, shoot me a PM.

Here's what I mean by every part:

p1279937_1.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
ForcedTorque;1279937 said:
Here's what I mean by every part:

p1280189_1.jpg

Damn! You pulled the floor boards and everything. My car isn't that rusty, but I'm going to basically have to pull the interior just the same. Once the inside is bare, I have to spray Second Skin sound deadener all over and then paint over it (just like I did with the engine bay and undercarriage). I also have to repaint many blue and ox-blood interior parts black as well as run wires and modify panels for the stereo. I'm actually looking forward to this though since I'm a aesthetics freak by nature :naughty:

SupraFreak13

1JZ Drift Celica
Jan 3, 2009
Baltimore MD
I'd be more than happy to give a hand. I'm about 45-60 minutes from hagerstown. If you want to get a few people together to work on it let me know!