midwest WINTER weather......

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
...lONG tIME nO pOST, bUT...
Just curious, regarding these snowy Illinois winters. I am in the process of getting a winter truck but doing my gte build to replace my na motor is taking some of my cash reserves up..ya know? So I was curious how the supra actually handles in the snow.

Is it even worth tryin to drive it in the winter?? Thanks

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Not too good. I had to drive mine in Ohio a few times and on the way to Fl. a couple of times hit some snow. It wasn't to bad with the posi, but really didn't want to drive it in the salt.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
it all depends on how good a snow driver you are.

it handles like any other rear drive posi in the soup. If you're the kind of driver that's fine with the back wheels being spinning 60+% of the time, then you won't have a problem. Personally I love it and have an absolute blast, but it's definitely not for everyone.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
With an LSD and studs in the rear I haven't had one problem here in CO. When the blizzard hit my car was down until I could get my studs put on, after that not a single problem the rest of the winter.

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I couldnt get out of my own driveway in the snow. Supra ain't too good when it comes to snow.

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
One word......TERRIBLE Plus its not only how you drive in the snow, its how the other people handle it as well. And you know how that is....

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
It sucks plain and simple. I remember trying to pick up Pizza once JUST ass it started flaking.... I was driving up a hill ( top of the hill was the Pizza place ), and about half way up my car just started rolling backwards down the hill!!! Luckily no cars were behind me.. I managed to let it roll a little bit down and turned left ( still going backwards )... and roll it down to a underground parking lot for noodles and company. I had my mom pick me up and I left it there untill the snow went away.

I've also done some 360's.... so yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. I would get some baller ass snow tires and a bunch of weight in the rear if you do.

Thats why the car I'm getting next month is AWD ( and Turbo ).

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Mine does fine with snow tires (remember thinner=better). In fact I have less trouble then my mom's Durango does in the snow.

It's all about momentum and getting the speed just right on hills, of course if you have some idiot in front of you who is terrified of driving in normal conditions... then your a little out of luck.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
eh. it's ALL about tires. the MKIII on snow tires does just fine....heck, i even pulled a few cars out of the ditch w/it....and as already stated, it totally depends on how well YOU can drive in the snow.

kHaNg

Like FAtHer Like SoN
Apr 17, 2007
Mass
try driving a miata or 240 n then you'l realize more weight = more ground time
snow tires great in snow suck in wet/ice if out of no where stop on a hill emergency lights are useful .

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
I think most of illinois (suprising enough) do NOT know how to drive in the snow. Or maybe too chickenshit to go more than 4 mph. The salt doesn't bother me cause it needs minor body work around rear wheel wells so what's a little more rust gonna hurt?

:sarcasm: ...so snow tires and about 2000 lbs in the rear... thats the only logical way huh? maybe just park it and drive something more reliable...like a snowmobile

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Seems like every year Illinois forgets how to drive in snow? I did just fine last winter in my Z28. I had 235's in back instead of 255's and I think 400lbs in sandbags over the driveshaft hump and the trunk ha. Then I bought a GSX and it was like driving in summer, you can correct anything in snow/ice with AWD.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
89Joe said:
Supra ain't too good when it comes to snow.
Incorrect.

Supra without the proper tires isn't good in snow, that's all.

My Supra with my summer 285s, not a chance in hell it would move. Stick some proper tires on it (205, soft rubber, sipes, etc), and it handled amazingly. I could drive up icy hills, stop and start on them, and not worry. My Supra with winter tires handled better then my buddy's F150 with winters on. I drove it across town, every day, all winter, never got it stuck. The Supra's got a HEAVY frame, and an LSD. With the right tires, it runs through snow like a dream. I drove it in snow so high, my bumber was shovelling it up, and never had a problem.