Microtech vs Haltech, help me choose.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I am trying to decide which standalone to go with for my 1jz. I can get both for a good price. My friend is very experienced with Microtech, he worked at Mazsport in Australia for the last year and a half installing these units......3hours installed in a stock FC RX7 from pulling it in the shop to installed and running on the MT ECU. He also runs a Haltech E6X in his AE86. I am leaning towards the MT unit, LT10 with the X6 ignition box. I know the LT12 has sequential injection, but after like 4000 rpms, its a moot point as things are happening so fast anyways. Do any of you have experience with these units?, and what do you think about them?. Which is more user friendly?

Post your opinoins.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
Sequential injection is a nice feature WHEN things are happening really fast. :)

It means that the injectors are opening and closing once -- for twice as long -- rather than opening and closing twice for half as long. It has the practical effect of stretching out the operating range of the injector.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Haltech E6 is really outdated. If you're considering Haltech, go with E11v2, not less.
Idk about microtech, but wired, installed and tuned Haltech E8 myself a year ago.

The only annoying issue with E8 was jerking at light load due to ugly stock 7M CPS design (it has too much freeplay). Later I tried different sensor and that problem went away.

As for software, it's not very user friendly and top notch, but can be used for sure. Tuning manual is VERY user friendly and will guide you from installing Haltech till tuning. Native datalog viewer is complete POS, so I've made my own (If you'll go Haltech - pm me, and I'll send my datalog viewer).

PS: now I'm dealing with AEM... what can I say, it has its own issues and bugs, so now I'm thinking that most system has bugs so the only question will you be able to live with them =)

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
becauseican;1079137 said:
I think if I go Haltech I will use the E8 or E11. I am starting to lean that way as it has closed loop 02, and a few other good options. Does the E8 and E11 have target A/F option?.

I reasearched those units and the Haltech E11v2 is the way to go. It is feature rich compared to the Microtech, and you don't need to send the unit back to get upraded. You can use the map sensor or an outside map sensor with out having to send the unit back to the factory. The LT12 vs the e11v2 cost more when you add all the things that will make it fly.

Last edited:

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
turbo joe;1078039 said:
Sequential injection is a nice feature WHEN things are happening really fast. :)

It means that the injectors are opening and closing once -- for twice as long -- rather than opening and closing twice for half as long. It has the practical effect of stretching out the operating range of the injector.

That all depends on how you pair them up. You can fire three pairs of two injectors and still fire them once per cycle.

MikeV

Jul 31, 2008
NJ
I'm biased (I'm a Haltech dealer), but the E8 and E11v2 are solid performers for their price range. I personally think the E8 is a steal, and will work flawlessly for you if you don't need full sequential/direct fire control for your 1JZ. If you do, or you may want to in the future, the E11v2 is the way to go.

For peak power, it doesn't really matter which EMS you choose. For drive-ability, I like the Haltech units, the idle control and closed-loop boost control are the best I've used to date. The latest Haltech firmware release (as of July 28) now has a target AFR map for autotune.

There is also a plug-in wiring board available (through my website) to let you plug right in to your 1JZ wire harness.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bfr1992t;1092312 said:
That all depends on how you pair them up. You can fire three pairs of two injectors and still fire them once per cycle.

nope sorry.

Per Engine Cycle = 2 engine revolutions. ;)

Per RPM perhaps but gains you absolutely nothing.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Haltech E11 Randy, do not go cheap now.

Jeremy

p.s. Not that eather is a bad option but I think the Haltec offers some more fetures and is somthing you can grow with.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
turbo joe;1078039 said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Joe ;)

OEM applications that I've seen, use sequential until around 3000rpm, and then they go back to batch fire, due to fluid inertia.

Remember, you only have a very narrow window in which to inject the fuel (only 1 of 4 cycles ;)) - by injecting half the fuel needed ahead of time, the fuel is already in suspension when the intake valve opens :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Anthony

regardless of how much they hype "autotune" (From the New ProEFI to the everything inbetween). Do not rely on it!

It is meant to be used to get the final portion of the tuning done but not the major parts.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
figgie;1101947 said:
Anthony

regardless of how much they hype "autotune" (From the New ProEFI to the everything inbetween). Do not rely on it!

It is meant to be used to get the final portion of the tuning done but not the major parts.

X2

I watched some one try and use the Auto tune on there Aultronic and it cost them an engine. Do not rely on it at all, its great feature for the last bit of tuning if any. You still needs good tuner to get it set up and running safly.

Jeremy

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
So I just ordered the E11v2 for my car, I hope to have it installed within a week or two. I will also be installing an E8 on a customers car (2jz swap) I will post my results, and BIC should be coming out with a P&P setup for the 1jz's. If anyone has any maps to share feel free to post them here.

Randy@BIC

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i am think teh hall tec root but aem is still in the back of my mind thou

that or map ecu 2 if the timing works on it

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
NashMan;1129708 said:
i am think teh hall tec root but aem is still in the back of my mind thou

that or map ecu 2 if the timing works on it

After all the problem I have seen an herd with AEM the past few years If I was doing my car again it would be on Haltech or Motec.

Jeremy

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yae there is alot of mixed up minds about aem

i used em befor and have yet to have an issues
i like it cause it is plug and play halteck far as i know of does not make plug and play

i have yet to cheak thou

Turbo Drifter;1132708 said:
After all the problem I have seen an herd with AEM the past few years If I was doing my car again it would be on Haltech or Motec.

Jeremy

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
NashMan;1134604 said:
yae there is alot of mixed up minds about aem

i used em befor and have yet to have an issues
i like it cause it is plug and play halteck far as i know of does not make plug and play

i have yet to cheak thou

Haltech isn't plug and play but I think the Company that Makes the AEM makes a harness for the 1JZ/ and 2JZ. You must wire the car other wise Ryan. Go full standalone and for go any piggy backs. I got my Wolfv500 with dash display for 1735.00 delivered. That is cheaper than HPF is selling the AEM for. I also got a new wire harness with the unit.

Now going Haltech or anything other than the AEM gives you the flexibility to do what ever you want. I went with Corvette LS2 coils. This eliminated the need for finding an igniter, because those coils have the ignitre built in.;):naughty:

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
One other thing Ryan is rememeber our harnesses are getting old and dry. We have been getting Randys Haltech wired in this week. Its so nice to see new soft wires that you are not scared to touch.

I have had may harnesses appart and all of them have had degraded wires. Even the harness out of the 95 Supra harness I used for my 2jz AEM swap had lots of old dry and broken wires.

After all the problems I have had with harnesses and AEM I should have gone Autronic or Haltech.........still may. :nono:

Jeremy

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
oh i forgot to mention i have a brand new harness thus why i looking for pnp all sell it thou if i do go with halltec and get my money back

but for now i have maftpro and i might use it or use some thign els kinda still up in the air the only unit i have really never toyed wiht was the micro teck stuff witch i don't plan to run any way

but tell me how it goes randy with hall tec it's good uint