mhg. Where do I find one?

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
I am pretty sure my supra has a bhg. I checked with the local parts house and can't find a metal head gasket to replace it with. Does anyone know where I can find one, and how much do they normally cost?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
No problem.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine you had a BHG? Have you done a compression test? Block test? Oil in coolant/coolant in oil? White smoke? Waterfall sound? What's going on?

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
Quin;1030642 said:
No problem.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine you had a BHG? Have you done a compression test? Block test? Oil in coolant/coolant in oil? White smoke? Waterfall sound? What's going on?

shooting water out coolant overflow when cold, oil in water, waterfall sound, white smoke on startup, sweet smell in exhaust on start. Pulled head and found evidence of leakage on exhaust side of gasket around the number 5 & 6 pistons, one bad freeze plug, and noticed torque specs were off as a couple of bolts were only hand tight. Having the head checked this week.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
He pulled the head :nono:.

I get what you're saying CRE.
Alot of the things he has mentioned that led him to pulling the head weren't all good reasons to do so.

Now it doesn't matter if it was ever blown or about to blow :aigo:.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
88mkiisupra;1030647 said:
shooting water out coolant overflow when cold, oil in water, waterfall sound, white smoke on startup, sweet smell in exhaust on start. Pulled head and found evidence of leakage on exhaust side of gasket around the number 5 & 6 pistons, one bad freeze plug, and noticed torque specs were off as a couple of bolts were only hand tight. Having the head checked this week.

Those seem like good reasons to pull the head to me. Yeah, he could have done a block test to be positive, but it's pretty certain.

88: was that supposed to be water in the oil? Oil in the water usually points to a different problem.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Welp. Call me crazy but in my book pulling the un-infinitley machinable head is a last ditch effort.

I would nearly pull the entire engine before I undid my head from my block.

Some of his reasoning could have been issues with something else. And some of what he said just says he has a stock supra.

So maybe I was wrong. I'm not sure but I sure wasn't trying to get anyone twisted.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
IJ.;1031501 said:
Usually between the Head and Block ;)

lolz

castrol supra;1031620 said:
Welp. Call me crazy but in my book pulling the un-infinitley machinable head is a last ditch effort.

I would nearly pull the entire engine before I undid my head from my block.

Some of his reasoning could have been issues with something else. Possibly, but having ALL of them together at the same time is a pretty good indication. And some of what he said just says he has a stock supra. Doesn't make a lick of difference. BHGs are merciless and will strike anyone with a factory or factory spec HG.

So maybe I was wrong. I'm not sure but I sure wasn't trying to get anyone twisted.

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
Just before I pulled the head, I pressurized the system with a pressure tester. pressure fell off rapidly, and water started leaking from the joint between my exhaust manifold and converter. I was told the heater core was bad when I bought it, so I had it replaced and the system was bled before I started diagnosing the bhg. I performed a basic tune up a week before I pulled the head and checked the plugs but found nothing definite. The car was running 9:1 compression on cyl 1-4 and only 8:1 on 5 and 6. The head was replaced by the idiot that owned it before me. I say idiot because not only did he remove all the emmisions stuff, but he removed all the vacuum lines and left the egr's metal tubing undone as well.

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
Shortly after I bought it, I cleaned the intake and found a crap load of vacuum leaks. Plus I had to runvacuum lines to the feul pressure regulator, brake power booster, and the cruise control unit. The head was port matched to the intake when I bought it, but I had to pay to have the cams reshimmed because all of the shims were either in the wrong place or missing. Plus as I said earlier two of the head bolts were so loose on the ehaust side of 5 and 6 that I removed them without using tools.