MHG Bore?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Well I had an order for a Greddy 1.5 from suprastore but they didn't have any in stock. So now I'm searching to buy a new gasket from somewhere else since suprastore took almost 2 months to tell me that the gasket had to be special ordered from japan.

So I came across JSCspeed. They have different bore types for the gaskets. This is the first time I'm doing the gasket. The car has 89k on the clock and the stock gasket was blown from the previous owner. Any info on which gasket and bore? (83mm, 86mm, 84mm)???? thanks

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Have you checked out suprasport.com yet? Jack keeps most HKS and Titan in stock. But if you have your heart stuck on the Greddy then you have to also play the wating game there. Plus Jack has a pretty good write up on the gaskests he has ;)

And as for bore it depends if the engine has ever been rebuilt. Since I am guessing you haven't owned the car since new, I would remove the head and measure the bore your self.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'll also mention that I'd use an HKS gasket over any other type out there. Greddy? Meh. Titan = Cometic, and I wasn't impressed with them, either.

I'm not an HKS fanboy, either, it just seems to have held together better than anything else I've tried.

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
GrimJack;1275922 said:
I'll also mention that I'd use an HKS gasket over any other type out there. Greddy? Meh. Titan = Cometic, and I wasn't impressed with them, either.

I'm not an HKS fanboy, either, it just seems to have held together better than anything else I've tried.

Would the HKS 1.2mm be good enough? I'm just looking to get around 350-400whp for now. I want to enjoy the car first before I start going crazy with it.

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
GrimJack;1276342 said:
Depends. How much material was taken off the block / head? Was it exactly equal to the 1.5mm?

Personally, I tend to go high on the HG thickness rather than low, but to each their own.

I havent taken the head apart yet. I want to get the 1.5 incase there is a need to take a lot of material off the head and block.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Guessing in advance isn't the way to choose the gasket thickness.

Get the head and block machined, have the machinist tell you how much was taken off, add this to the thickness of a stock gasket to calculate how thick of a gasket you need.

Then order a gasket.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
By the way, Supra90gr, Grimjack charges $15 per post when helping people. You now need to paypal him $60. :D J/K

HKS seem to be the most popular. Although my car came with a Greddy 2.0 and it has held up under some severe knocking when a hick mechanic installed my timing belt once tooth advanced causing my base timing to be 20-25 deg.!!

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Greddy as far as I know is the only one who offers the 83mm bore. On all the MHG we sell HKS is BY FAR the most popular ones by 100 to 1. We don't even stock the Greddy anymore, it's all HKS on our shelves.

Greddy is in a restructuring right now so delivery times are very much "estimates" only. HKS are very available, best bet is find out how much is removed from the head and stick with HKS. If you have any questions feel free to email, pm or call me