Metro 2033

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ok, I'm a bunch of hours in now, and I'll admit I'm pretty damn impressed. There are some issues - it's a hardware pig like nothing I've seen for years, and there ARE some AI problems, but usually on the mutants that are supposed to be at best animal smart anyway.

Ammo is supposed to be underpowered, too - if you want real ammo, you have to use pre-apocalypse ammo, which is used as currency instead. It's a whole lot more powerful due to the superior manufacturing that was available before the crash. With that said, I've run out of ammo a couple times at worst, and never to the point that I didn't have another weapon to switch to.

The effects in this game are amazing. Smoke / fog looks real. Light works the way it should. Shooting some poor bastard in the foot or elbow around the corner merely pisses them off, unlike most games. And the enemy humans tend to charge when they hear you reloading, the fucks.

Some other features that have been missing from games for years... a lot of this game is played underground, and this means it's dark. You can blow out lanterns, and shoot out lights, at which point everyone is reduced to flashlights, which suck, or the rare night vision gear, which tends to not suck. Most of the time you can sneak around in the dark, use a silenced weapon, and play havoc on the bad guys. You even have a light indicator on your watch that tells you how visible you are. You need to be careful to stay silent, too - there are hanging empty tin cans that rattle if you touch 'em, and bandits break plates on the floor so they crunch when you try to sneak in, then come shooting when you touch them. The guys who made this obviously played Thief way back in the day.

Bottom line: Worth the $50. Should have bought this and passed on Supreme Commander 2, I'd be $50 richer.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I've been wanting to pick it up as I'm a huge fan of post apocalyptic shooters, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the Fallout series (yes ALL OF THEM, FO1 and 2 were my favorite.). I've been waiting for good reviews on this, this makes me want to pick this up big time now. Nice review.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I missed Fallout 1 and 2, but I LOVE Fallout 3. Do you think they are worth the trip back Mario?

I hear mixed reviews on Metro 33. I was going to downloaded until I saw the recommended PC specs... pass... for now.

but I'm going to busy with Starcraft II for the next 4 years.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
Fallout 1 and 2 are a completly different type of game than Fallout 3. Personally I like them more but thats just me. If you can deal with oldschool overhead graphics I'd say give them a shot.

And I didn't even realize Metro 2033 was even out yet lol. I've been thinking about getting it since I saw the first previews and now I might just have to.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraOfDoom;1535975 said:
I missed Fallout 1 and 2, but I LOVE Fallout 3. Do you think they are worth the trip back Mario?

I hear mixed reviews on Metro 33. I was going to downloaded until I saw the recommended PC specs... pass... for now.

but I'm going to busy with Starcraft II for the next 4 years.

shaggyskadude13;1535986 said:
Fallout 1 and 2 are a completly different type of game than Fallout 3. Personally I like them more but thats just me. If you can deal with oldschool overhead graphics I'd say give them a shot.

And I didn't even realize Metro 2033 was even out yet lol. I've been thinking about getting it since I saw the first previews and now I might just have to.

You will if you can handle blocky, over head 2d games that use a turn based open combat system.
I loved the originals more than FO3

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
SupraMario;1535996 said:
You will if you can handle blocky, over head 2d games that use a turn based open combat system.
I loved the originals more than FO3

I can handle that. I like old games too. But at this point I have a hard time thinking I will like them more then Fallout 3. I mean I loveeeeeeeeeed it so much.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraOfDoom;1536375 said:
I can handle that. I like old games too. But at this point I have a hard time thinking I will like them more then Fallout 3. I mean I loveeeeeeeeeed it so much.

Fallout 3 was a Teen game to me, Fallout 1 and 2 were way more adult oriented. The games still have a huge fan base following, and its for a reason.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So I got this yesterday and it is cool. I do have some complaints, it is a linear based game, it isn't a sandbox like FO3. Its based more towards a story than anything. I'm also having issues with it. It seems it has a nice memory leak somewhere, as I'll play for a bit, and when it loads to a new area everything turns to shit, so much lag its ridiculous. Every where I look though says that this game is very optimized straight from the publisher, which seems to not be the case for me. ><

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I ran into that once, but only after playing for several hours straight... saving, quitting, and reloading fixed it for me.

I will admit, my gaming rig is not a lightweight setup, however, so it's rather likely that I'd see this a lot less than your average guy. Even so, I had to play with the detail on medium.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack;1537698 said:
I ran into that once, but only after playing for several hours straight... saving, quitting, and reloading fixed it for me.

I will admit, my gaming rig is not a lightweight setup, however, so it's rather likely that I'd see this a lot less than your average guy. Even so, I had to play with the detail on medium.

I haven't picked anything up in a long while now, all moneys go into the woman/supra/savings. That and I've not really run into a game yet that I couldn't handle this being the exception.